Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all - Been away for awhile. Decided last week I wanted to go BT. When I was last on the boards, we didn't have any BT "drop in" kits available. I figured, surely, by now we would.

So I did a little searching, and to my mind-blown surprise, we STILL don't. What's laughable is that many kits advertised as 'drop in' are *not.* They *always* require some form of modification or sister mod, specifically either a downpipe (due to stock downpipe fitment) or an external BPV/BOV.

Here's the rub, I'm in California. I need this looking as stock as possible. I frequently travel for work and do not have time, at all, to screw around with swapping parts to be smog legal on smog day. It's common knowledge that a BT will run 'well enough' on a stock tune. I won't every-day the vehicle on a stock tune, but come smog week, BT runs fine on stock tune at low boost, allowing emission flags on the ECU to pass and thus go through the smog check.

So my question to you all is this, IS there a kit available and I just can't find it? It *NEEDS* to be compatible with the OEM downpipe/cat AND have an integrated BPV. Again, there's one I saw on Stratified's website that had integrated BPV (hooray) but was NOT compatible with stock DP due to fitment issues; you had to use a specific non-catted version to mount up correctly.

If there really isn't one, may I suggest to any retailer reading this.. there is a market for this product. The ST club in this area specifically would be all over it. We're all a bit 'older' and looking for something that looks/drives stock but with more power. As if it came from factory with a larger turbo.

FYI because I know it will be asked. Current mods: CXR Intercooler, unleashed 91 & e30 tune, steeda sway bar, boomba shift plate, shift bushings, custom exhaust (stock dp,) green filter, other random stereo/interior items.

Thanks guys/gals

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Hi all - Been away for awhile. Decided last week I wanted to go BT. When I was last on the boards, we didn't have any BT "drop in" kits available. I figured, surely, by now we would.

So I did a little searching, and to my mind-blown surprise, we STILL don't. What's laughable is that many kits advertised as 'drop in' are *not.* They *always* require some form of modification or sister mod, specifically either a downpipe (due to stock downpipe fitment) or an external BPV/BOV.

Here's the rub, I'm in California. I need this looking as stock as possible. I frequently travel for work and do not have time, at all, to screw around with swapping parts to be smog legal on smog day. It's common knowledge that a BT will run 'well enough' on a stock tune. I won't every-day the vehicle on a stock tune, but come smog week, BT runs fine on stock tune at low boost, allowing emission flags on the ECU to pass and thus go through the smog check.

So my question to you all is this, IS there a kit available and I just can't find it? It *NEEDS* to be compatible with the OEM downpipe/cat AND have an integrated BPV. Again, there's one I saw on Stratified's website that had integrated BPV (hooray) but was NOT compatible with stock DP due to fitment issues; you had to use a specific non-catted version to mount up correctly.

If there really isn't one, may I suggest to any retailer reading this.. there is a market for this product. The ST club in this area specifically would be all over it. We're all a bit 'older' and looking for something that looks/drives stock but with more power. As if it came from factory with a larger turbo.

FYI because I know it will be asked. Current mods: CXR Intercooler, unleashed 91 & e30 tune, steeda sway bar, boomba shift plate, shift bushings, custom exhaust (stock dp,) green filter, other random stereo/interior items.

Thanks guys/gals
Like this? Garrett GT2860RS Bolt-On Turbo Upgrade for 2013-2017 Ford Focus ST 2.0T - ATP-FOC-010 | On Sale: $1,745.00
ATP Turbo GT2860RS Bolt-On Turbo Kit Ford Focus ST 2013-2017

Reactions: ddfred

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

This is a GREAT example of kits that advertise as "drop in" but are not.

Neither of these kits have integrated BPV. Internally wastegated yes, but not BPV. So you'll need to install one yourself on the intercooler elbow or something (our smog guys look for that around here..)

Side-note, these retailers need to start being more up-front about this info! I didn't realize it myself when I first started looking into it until I started reading through the install notes.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
HUH???? Oh yes there IS a visual in CA. It's one of the most important pieces of the smog check in CA. They even check under the vehicle in many cases.

Smog exemption in California is only good for first 4 years. Once you hit the 5th year (which I hit in 2018 - my vehicle is 2013) you go into the smog process.

Maybe you're thinking Canada? Or just trying to push buttons?

·
Registered
477 Posts
The Pumaspeed hybrid turbos are our best bet for a true drop in. Last I heard, Stratified was testing and toying around with these stateside. They are making their way into the Fiesta ST, and one of our members recently put one in an Ecoboost Fusion, but I haven't heard any recent developments for the Focus ST. It's a very different story in the UK.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
HUH???? Oh yes there IS a visual in CA. It's one of the most important pieces of the smog check in CA. They even check under the vehicle in many cases.

Smog exemption in California is only good for first 4 years. Once you hit the 5th year (which I hit in 2018 - my vehicle is 2013) you go into the smog process.

Yup, can confirm they do a visual. I "failed" once one my Honda because the "tech" read my carb decal number wrong and said I had an illegal intake. I told him I had passed the past 9 years with it and he said "sorry". I came back the next day and spoke to his supervisor who took a closer look at my carb decal, looked it up, and said that it was NOT illegal and passed me.

I have never actually seen someone look for a downpipe, but I know it is really easy to tell if you are catless. You can try to trick them, but that is a roll of the dice.

Reactions: yoster

·
Registered
5,568 Posts

"Starting January 1, 2005, owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification"

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/smogfaq

Hybrid turbo like the puma is the only drop in option

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, interesting note about the smog fine print. Regardless though it doesn't change the reasoning as to why I need it; it just buys me 1 more year.

I'll take a look at the puma asap.

Thanks guys (or gals)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sorry, but I've never heard of a kit for any car that had an aftermarket integrated BPV or Blowoff or Recirc Valve.

That's likely because having those at the turbo outlet is not mechanically the best solution at it allows the wave of pressure to reach the turbo rather than be expelled upstream closer to the closed throttle body, and a Big Turbo upgrade is done in the name of performance, not smog legality.

If you want to integrate a recirc valve onto the system to utilize the stock BPV control solenoid, go right ahead, but designing a kit for this is added expense and stuffing an even more complicated system between the firewall and engine, which is already fairly tight with the big turbo alone.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sorry but there are a **** load of drop in kits. From ATP, Mountune, EFR, Speedbydesign, CPE and speedperformance just to name a few. The mountune and EFR kits do have integral BPV's.

Now the california stuff I am not sure about, but there are heaps of drop in kits.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Sorry but there are a **** load of drop in kits. From ATP, Mountune, EFR, Speedbydesign, CPE and speedperformance just to name a few. The mountune and EFR kits do have integral BPV's.

Now the california stuff I am not sure about, but there are heaps of drop in kits.
Did you read my entire post and the follow up comments? As stated before, those drop-ins are not true drop-ins for the reasons discussed earlier (requirement of relocation of BPV, and the one's that don't require this aren't compatible with stock DP.)

No reason to continue convo's guys - I got my answer already. I'm going to take a look at the hybrid turbo's pointed out earlier.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Sorry, but I've never heard of a kit for any car that had an aftermarket integrated BPV or Blowoff or Recirc Valve.

That's likely because having those at the turbo outlet is not mechanically the best solution at it allows the wave of pressure to reach the turbo rather than be expelled upstream closer to the closed throttle body, and a Big Turbo upgrade is done in the name of performance, not smog legality.

If you want to integrate a recirc valve onto the system to utilize the stock BPV control solenoid, go right ahead, but designing a kit for this is added expense and stuffing an even more complicated system between the firewall and engine, which is already fairly tight with the big turbo alone.
They do exist believe it or not, but not cheap. You can find kits with integrate BPV on Stratified's website. They just require a different design downpipe (non CA compliant) hence why I can't use them.
Full Race EFR Turbo Kit - WITH CUSTOM TUNE [Mk3_FoST_EFR_Package] - $3,400.00USD : Stratified Automotive Controls

From that page, ".. this turbo has an large internal wastegate and built in BPV making for fantastic boost control and power delivery. For those looking for serious power consider the 71/63 turbo which is currently making 459 WHP on one of the Stratified Focus ST's. "

So close, but yet so far away. Spoke with the guys at Stratified on this one a few months ago and they may create a flange to allow stock DP fitment down the road, but it's not on any current roadmap.

Anyway, no reason to continue the convo guys. I'm going to check out the hybrid turbo pointed out earlier. Thanks!

·
Registered
344 Posts
They do exist believe it or not, but not cheap. You can find kits with integrate BPV on Stratified's website. They just require a different design downpipe (non CA compliant) hence why I can't use them.
Full Race EFR Turbo Kit - WITH CUSTOM TUNE [Mk3_FoST_EFR_Package] - $3,400.00USD : Stratified Automotive Controls

From that page, ".. this turbo has an large internal wastegate and built in BPV making for fantastic boost control and power delivery. For those looking for serious power consider the 71/63 turbo which is currently making 459 WHP on one of the Stratified Focus ST's. "

So close, but yet so far away. Spoke with the guys at Stratified on this one a few months ago and they may create a flange to allow stock DP fitment down the road, but it's not on any current roadmap.

Anyway, no reason to continue the convo guys. I'm going to check out the hybrid turbo pointed out earlier. Thanks!
Yep, I was just addressing your initial post saying that there are no drop in kits, which is clearly not the case.

Any local fabricator could do you up an adaptor for an EFR turbo to stock downpipe, it won't be cast but it will work.

Also don't have too high expectations for the pumaspeed unit as while it is better it is nowhere near the proper turbo upgrades.

Best of luck in your endeavour.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I don't understand how you believe "drop in" is much simpler than upgrading.

The Puma upgrade will require you to remove the stock turbo from your car. How on earth is that easier or less complicated than removing one for another? As for integration the OE supplier is Borg Warner and their EFR turbos are the "no excuse" turbo and they include a recirculation valve built-in just like the stock turbo.

The Mountune MRX kit is about as cheap as you're going to get, $2,149 + $699 for the catted downpipe you need. For that you get a 6258 EFR that will hit 400 hp on race gas, the Puma upgrade won't get anywhere near that.

Reactions: DoubleD

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't understand how you believe "drop in" is much simpler than upgrading.

The Puma upgrade will require you to remove the stock turbo from your car. How on earth is that easier or less complicated than removing one for another? As for integration the OE supplier is Borg Warner and their EFR turbos are the "no excuse" turbo and they include a recirculation valve built-in just like the stock turbo.

The Mountune MRX kit is about as cheap as you're going to get, $2,149 + $699 for the catted downpipe you need. For that you get a 6258 EFR that will hit 400 hp on race gas, the Puma upgrade won't get anywhere near that.
Mountune wont sell their down pipe to anyone in Cali. not even if you ask to pick it up at the shop. i feel reasonably sure that the same thing goes for their turbo kits.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Mountune wont sell their down pipe to anyone in Cali. not even if you ask to pick it up at the shop. i feel reasonably sure that the same thing goes for their turbo kits.
Now that is a problem now isn't it?

Time to put your thinking cap on.

Reactions: Manoah
1 - 20 of 42 Posts