Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To preface, I am absolutely new with this forum and could not find anything while searching for this topic. I blame my search technique really.

I have been having an intermittent vibration. It feels akin to a flat spot and yes goes away. And sometimes is returns slightly. And sometimes it feels like a warped rotor until the brakes heat up a bit. The vibration can happen at all speeds and isn't prevalent during any one type of driving: hard accel, turning left or right, braking. My best guess is a front wheel issue and if I'd guess, driver's side.

I investigated a little tonight between getting home and throwing the ball with the boys. I went to just see if any lugs were loose. First I cannot put my lug wrench provided by Ford onto the nuts. Second, when I just looked to see if they were tight, nearly all would wiggle left and right 2 degrees or so.

Best guess: Discount tire uses impact wrenches and over tightened my lugs. The bolt end is pulled through and lugs mushroomed from the abuse. I was in Colorado for much of my time which meant I was changing tire twice a year.

Anyone have a better thought or had the same issue?

Thanks,

Search engine noob

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
To preface, I am absolutely new with this forum and could not find anything while searching for this topic. I blame my search technique really.

I have been having an intermittent vibration. It feels akin to a flat spot and yes goes away. And sometimes is returns slightly. And sometimes it feels like a warped rotor until the brakes heat up a bit. The vibration can happen at all speeds and isn't prevalent during any one type of driving: hard accel, turning left or right, braking. My best guess is a front wheel issue and if I'd guess, driver's side.

I investigated a little tonight between getting home and throwing the ball with the boys. I went to just see if any lugs were loose. First I cannot put my lug wrench provided by Ford onto the nuts. Second, when I just looked to see if they were tight, nearly all would wiggle left and right 2 degrees or so.

Best guess: Discount tire uses impact wrenches and over tightened my lugs. The bolt end is pulled through and lugs mushroomed from the abuse. I was in Colorado for much of my time which meant I was changing tire twice a year.

Anyone have a better thought or had the same issue?

Thanks,

Search engine noob

First of all the factory lug nuts are complete garbage. I use a steel lug nut with a chrome cap. It corrodes inside and swells under the cap. Then your lug wrench to no longer fits. Also after you change them a few times especially with an impact the chrome cap gets loose. I've had a few fall off. I'd start by getting a quality conical lug nut. I believe they're M12 x 1.5. and don't quote me but I believe you need at least 1 3/8 thread depth.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
First of all the factory lug nuts are complete garbage. I use a steel lug nut with a chrome cap. It corrodes inside and swells under the cap. Then your lug wrench to no longer fits. Also after you change them a few times especially with an impact the chrome cap gets loose. I've had a few fall off. I'd start by getting a quality conical lug nut. I believe they're M12 x 1.5. and don't quote me but I believe you need at least 1 3/8 thread depth.

also I can't speak for the premium Wheels if you're on the snowflakes and don't plan on getting aftermarket wheels. You want the bulge nuts the larger conical surface. Although I've been running the snowflakes with tuner lugs and it's fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am investigating stud replacement right now and will look into lug replacement as well. Good to know info! Any brands jump out at you as good replacement parts?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I am investigating stud replacement right now and will look into lug replacement as well. Good to know info! Any brands jump out at you as good replacement parts?

these are what I'm running right now with the snowflakes haven't had any issues. as I said though the seating surface is a little small for the snowflakes as it only covers about half of the seating surface. however he will need the style lug nuts in the future if you get aftermarket wheels as the stock ones won't fit most.

Orion Motor Tech 20-Piece M12x1.5 Lug Nuts Black with Spline Tuner, 1.4 inches Length with Cone Seat, Compatible with Honda Acura Aftermarket Wheels https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M323AO1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_rE3sDbB7GM44Y

1 - 5 of 5 Posts