Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just installed a Depo Racing Catless Downpipe on my car and had Stratified build me a new tune to go along with it. After the new tune was flashed I drove under normal conditons for about 25 miles to let the tune settle in then did some 3rd and 4th gear WOT pulls.

During the pulls I was seeing cylinders 1 and 3 dipping down to -1.5 and cylinders 2 and 4 were dipping down into the negatives a little bit as well. Under normal driving conditons they would stay in the positives. I also noticed 1 and 3 had gotten as low as -3 ign correction but not at a constant.

AFR under WOT would hover in the 11 to 11.5 range, and dropped to 9.8 at the lowest. Boost never got abover 21psi with ambient charge air temps of 58°F last night.

And my Oct adj ratio is current at 0.34 where it was at -0.91 on the Cobb OTS 91 prior to installation.

I have some logs for 3rd gear WOT pulls from 3500-6500rpm saved to do some more reviewing... my question I guess is if I need to purchase a log review and have the tune reworked a bit with the negative ign correction and positive Oct adj? I have a fresh tank of non ethanol 91oct in the car. Now I know I can add some E85 to bring the Oct adj down and lower knock, but I don't want to have to add a little E85 every time I fill. Unfortunately in my area 91 is the highest octane offered, and a lot of the gas stations have **** 91 so it's a craps shoot sometimes when I can't get to my regular fill station.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

·
Registered
100 Posts
If they tuned it why not just email them with your concerns right away? They would surely give you better answers than we can.

·
Registered
311 Posts
^^ Exactly. We didn't tune it, so how would we know what the issue is? Your OAR should be at 1.0 so that could be an issue. Probably not good to be driving the car hard when the OAR is that low. Even when you had the OTS tune from Cobb, your OAR isn't good. So you probably have really crappy gas where you are. You may have to deal with octane boosters or like you said, add E85.

In the end, Stratified will know what is up. They are great to work with and are extremely knowledgeable with this platform. Give them a call even and that way you will have an answer right away.

·
Premium Member
5,730 Posts
It is not unusual to see some slight negative corrections. It shows that your car is adjusting the timing to compensate. Stratified also deals with OAR differently than others so it takes longer for it to settle in. You may have some bad gas causing knock. You can either grab some octane booster or fill up with known good fuel. If that doesn't resolve it you may want to make sure your got that downpipe tight and it isn't leaking.

And your OAR shouldn't be at 1. It should have started at 0 and if you have good fuel it should work its way to -1. If you are seeing positive OAR its likely lousy fuel. Which would also cause knock and those corrections at WOT.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My OAR is +0.44 currently and going up... prior to the stratified tune it was -0.91 to -1.0... I checked for exhaust leaks before taking the car off the jack stands because this definitely isn't my first rodeo.

I just topped off with a fresh tank of non ethanol 91 at a brand new BP gas station and drove 100 miles on it and still haven't seen a drop in the OAR. So either my area has all around horse **** gas at every station or something is wrong in the tune.

Not really keen on using aditives or adding E85 every fill because I drive 75 miles round trip every day so a tank doesn't last long and that would get very annoying.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Also You didn't say, but did you tell them you wanted a 91 tune? and it will take awhile for the oar to got down to -1. Took me a week or two of daily driving to get it to -1. Also stratified says anything under -3 corrections should be fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tune was built for 91 octane yes... or at least I specified that I wanted 91. I'm on a fresh tank of gas from a brand new ( two week old ) BP gas station so you'd think it would be reputable and good gas. I have over 200 miles now since installing the tune which should account for a weeks worth of normal driving for people that don't have a huge commute like me. OAR climbs more every day no matter what type of driving I do. And my concern is the constant negative corrections under WOT... shouldn't have to correct for that much knock under constant WOT from what I understand.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Tune was built for 91 octane yes... or at least I specified that I wanted 91. I'm on a fresh tank of gas from a brand new ( two week old ) BP gas station so you'd think it would be reputable and good gas. I have over 200 miles now since installing the tune which should account for a weeks worth of normal driving for people that don't have a huge commute like me. OAR climbs more every day no matter what type of driving I do. And my concern is the constant negative corrections under WOT... shouldn't have to correct for that much knock under constant WOT from what I understand.
One thing that is kind of contradictory, at least here in Ontario, Canada, is that fuel for 4-5 brands can often come from one supplier. So you may just be in an area that gets crap gas regardless of the brand. Shell tends to be pretty consistent, so maybe try theirs if you have one close?

Have you tried to contact Stratified? They could probably have the issue pinned super quick.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've found Stratified tunes to be far more sensitive to fuel quality than the Cobb OTS tunes. Every time I've flashed a Cobb OTS my OAR hits -1 within the first drive. Have you tried switching gas stations? Also, did you uninstall your previous tune before installing the new one? IIRC, flashing over tunes can cause issues but I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
110 Posts
One thing that is kind of contradictory, at least here in Ontario, Canada, is that fuel for 4-5 brands can often come from one supplier. So you may just be in an area that gets crap gas regardless of the brand.

That's how it is in the US. 2 or 3 big suppliers, 100+ "brands" of gas. Of more concern is how long has it been in the tanks (premium in the ghetto? don't buy it) and how much water is in it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
That's how it is in the US. 2 or 3 big suppliers, 100+ "brands" of gas. Of more concern is how long has it been in the tanks (premium in the ghetto? don't buy it) and how much water is in it.
Also, its never a good idea to "only" put $10-15 in your tank. The reason being, is that the pumps all use the same lines. So if the person before you had 87, which 99% of the time would be the case, if you put 91 in your car, the first gallon or more might be 87 because that is what is left over in the lines before the 91 starts coming out. So if you get a full tank, that will be diluted mostly where if you put $10-15 in, you might have a much higher amount of 87 from your fill.

·
Registered
201 Posts
First reach out to Stratified and get their input. If they say tune is of the right build and may be fuel related then here is my .02.

We tend to get a ****tier mix of fuel where I live starting around this time of year through the winter. It sucks, I stick to Shell 93 it seems to be the most consistent, and I go to a busier station so fuel is turned over more often. Last winter in my 15 GT I started pulling timing, I had no adjustments made tune wise prior to this happening or made any mod changes, I immediately thought something was wrong. Lund, my tuner at the time, recommended trying a good octane booster, bc it looked fuel quality related to him, use a real octane booster not some random ****, it needs to have a certain additive in it, the best to use that he recommended were Torco, VP, and Lucas, the only one I could find locally was the Lucas. Needless to say it worked like a charm. I would run a bottle then fill up, and run on that and next fill up I would check again without it. It was winter so I really couldn't get on too much and be safe anyway, it wasn't hurting anything, the tune was doing its job for the quality of fuel it was given, just don't want to beat on it constantly like that. But again I only had this issue around this time of year. Long story long go get a bottle of Lucas from AutoZone and see what happens. If everything corrects itself you may need to find a better fueling station.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Also, its never a good idea to "only" put $10-15 in your tank. The reason being, is that the pumps all use the same lines. So if the person before you had 87, which 99% of the time would be the case, if you put 91 in your car, the first gallon or more might be 87 because that is what is left over in the lines before the 91 starts coming out. So if you get a full tank, that will be diluted mostly where if you put $10-15 in, you might have a much higher amount of 87 from your fill.
Exactly right. This is huge too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Talked with stratified and they said it sounds fuel related and to run this fresh tank for a bit before trying a booster or some E85. If that doesn't clear it up then I'll send them a log and see if it's in the tune.

Either way the tune is amazing to say the least... it's leaps and bounds better then the Cobb OTS for sure. Throttle response and power curve vastly improved. The car once in boost pulls and dosent stop until redline. Really wish I'd have gone with stratified sooner because it feels like a whole new car.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
@Flowcus stay in touch. One thing to remember about fuel quality. Turn-over is EXTREMELY important. For example: near my house there is a BP (decent fuel) and a Wal-mart (Murphy USA) station. The Murphy station has leaps and bounds better knock resistance. Seems counter intuitive right? Well there is a BMW dealer right next door, they use the Murphey station and primarily use 93 for their fuel ups. This results in higher turn-over. So the BP station, while better knock resistance when fresh turns to poop because it simply doesn't turn over like the Murphey spot.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
I work part time for our local Cenex station. I get to look at the report for how much is in the tanks and the water content. Yes fuel stations monitor how much water gets into the tanks.

Sent from another garage.
is this information available to the public if I ask?

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
is this information available to the public if I ask?
It is probably one of those things where everyone says it should be but it isn't and if you ask for it it would be considered private material for the gas station

·
Registered
337 Posts
Why are you running non-ethanol 91? This could be partial cause of why your knocking. Most people when they say 91 or 93 oct tunes, it is assumed that it is normal 91 or 93 which is blended with 10% ethanol. Even that 10% gives a noticeable increase in octane rating. They sell 87 ethanol free by me at a select few stations and it costs as much as premium. I thought it was just people using it for small lawn equipment.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts