Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I recently received my oem style CF hood from seibon. It bolted up fine but my only issue is the latch. It'll click through the first part where you would release it once the hood is popped from inside the car, but won't completely clamp all the way down. Basically it's at a position where someone can just lift my hood up. Any help? Also I get it, people don't like grill deletes. But mine snapped off and waiting on a new one lol

·
Registered
2013 TS ST3, with some stuff done.
763 Posts
Try to see if the latch is still working, by pushing a screwdriver down into the latch, too see if the latch closes, if it’s not latching properly, it may need some lubricant.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try to see if the latch is still working, by pushing a screwdriver down into the latch, too see if the latch closes, if it’s not latching properly, it may need some lubricant.
So i unscrewed the latch on the hood and pushed it in by hand to see if it's latching. It definitely closes all the way but I have to put some elbow grease in to get it to clamp in. So I'm assuming lubricating will help? I try to push the hood down but it kinda bends and I don't wanna Crack it lmao

·
Registered
2013 TS ST3, with some stuff done.
763 Posts
Yes, spray some silicone lube on the latch and work it open and close a few times, to allow the lube to get into the mechanism.

·
Administrator
12,713 Posts
Are the hood stops adjusted properly?

·
Registered
445 Posts
There’s probably a couple things going on here. I had a ‘16 ST that I installed a Seibon CF bonnet on… took me roughly 4 hours to get everything lined up properly so that I could just drop it from 6-10” and have it latch.

Also, if you read the disclaimer from Seibon, they will not warrant the bonnet if you don’t install pins to hold it down. I used the AeroCatch latches on mine. The pins can be installed where the current bonnet stops are from the factory.

Deuce is probably on to something though. If it’s won’t close with minimal effort, the stops might be too high and preventing the latch from engaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
801 Posts
wild lookin areo going on.

You got the chin cup spoilers with the lip splitter?? spicy

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I'd say take a look at the stops, and try adjusting them down a bit. As an aside- did either of you have the hood re-clear coated with an automotive (UV-rated) clear coat? I recall reading that Seibon recommends it to prevent hazing and yellowing associated with heat and UV exposure.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'd say take a look at the stops, and try adjusting them down a bit. As an aside- did either of you have the hood re-clear coated with an automotive (UV-rated) clear coat? I recall reading that Seibon recommends it to prevent hazing and yellowing associated with heat and UV exposure.
I actually had mine ceramic coated after install. It still looks good as new.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
How long have you had it installed on the car? Any signs of fading / hazing / yellowing of the clear coat? I had an opportunity to buy a Seibon carbon fiber hood that someone pseudo-local was selling, but reading reviews online- it seems like they may be heat and/or UV sensitive, and I was imagining spending another few hundred dollars getting it painted or clear coated at a body shop (per Seibon's recommendations).

Do ceramic coatings provide substantial UV protection? If so- I did not know that.

·
Registered
445 Posts
There hasn’t been any sign of yellowing or breakdown in the 3 years I’ve had it on the car… but I’m also pretty OCD about making sure to keep my cars clean and wax/polish them twice a year.

I don’t have my ST anymore, so no telling what the new owner will do to care for all the CF on the car.

·
Registered
445 Posts
oh no, what you have now?

What did those hella horns sound like?
There’s a whole host of reasons I needed to trade her in, all of them practical. I absolutely loved driving the ST, and it got a lot of looks from the JDM group, but I also needed a different rig for backcountry hunting so I got a Jeep Wrangler and a new stage of vehicle modifications has begun for me.

The Hella Supertones are 105db of dissonant “get out of my way pin head.” I loved them. Made more than a few people wet themselves.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
There’s a whole host of reasons I needed to trade her in, all of them practical. I absolutely loved driving the ST, and it got a lot of looks from the JDM group, but I also needed a different rig for backcountry hunting so I got a Jeep Wrangler and a new stage of vehicle modifications has begun for me.

The Hella Supertones are 105db of dissonant “get out of my way pin head.” I loved them. Made more than a few people wet themselves.

Sold my 02 X for my FoST down payment lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts