Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Issue Installing Spec-D LED Tail Light

6K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  shaggy9067 
#1 ·
So my car was rear ended and needed a new tail light along side many things. I took this opportunity to hand my body shop buddy a aftermarket tail light instead of getting OEM lights.

He went ahead and installed them for me but the lighting pattern is messed up a bit. The brake light never comes on, the LED stripe is what gets triggered when I step on brakes, turn signal and reverse lights work as expected.

I have attached an image that labels which is what lights should work like. I looked around the interweb to see how to change the wiring myself to fix this but apparently I will have only one harness that is plug and play, not sure what to adjust when I take it appart.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

13 Ford Focus ST

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I've bought a few SpecD things for a few cars. We've always had issues with fitment and sometimes there's issues like this where it wasn't wired correctly at the China factory.

You can try to return it and ask for another set, which may result in getting another one with a screwed up harness or with fitment issues.

The other option you have is finding out if that light actually works and if it does, rewire it yourself. If you have access to some wires, spade connectors, and a 12v source (your battery works just fine), you can find out what lights you can get to turn on/activate. From there, if all lights work and it's just wired incorrectly, make your own connections between the car wiring and the taillight wiring.
Along with this, don't start cutting things until you make sure that it's the light pigtail that's wired incorrectly. If you find out the taillight works fine, but your cars pigtail isn't sending the signals the taillight wants, there's nothing I can really help with there.

All that being said, I'm only telling you this because you're buying SpecD parts and drive an ST, so I'm assuming you have some type of mechanical knowledge. Although everything I said may seem daunting, it's not until you start cutting stuff.

Try not to make any sparks. If something sparks, you've done something wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.