Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a roundabout road to getting my ST.

My first car in high school was a '98 Cadillac DeVille:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Full-size car Luxury vehicle

I wanted something sporty, but at the behest of my parents I went the decidedly safe - and unsexy - route. Its thirsty Northstar V8 demanded premium fuel and rewarded you with a respectable 275HP and an abysmal ~16 MPG in city driving. Knowing there was no (reasonable) performance modifications to be made, I went the typical high-schooler route and upgraded the sound system. Dual 12" subs in a custom tuned bandpass enclosure, amp, cap, and upgraded speakers, all in an elegant and hidden package. It was a giant waste of money, but it was a great learning experience as far as audio install is concerned.

I eventually tired of piloting around a giant, beige boat and bought my first new car - a 2011 Fiesta SE Hatchback:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Headlamp Bumper

With gas prices on the rise and my income trending steadily at "college poor", I thought it'd be fun to have a fuel-efficient car with decent driving dynamics, a capable (if somewhat uninspiring) engine, and plenty of space. I'd always wanted a hatchback, so the Fiesta was a natural choice. Being a slightly wiser college student, I opted not to sink money into the sound system. Being a slightly stupid college student, I opted to sink money into trying to eek out some kind of performance from the piddly 1.6L NA 4-pot by means of an Injen CAI and Flowmaster full cat-back exhaust. I swear, I may have very well been one of five people to purchase that ridiculous dbX Fiesta system, but I was thrilled to loudly propel myself to 0-60 in ~10 seconds. The car was hilarious looking back, but it was a blast at the time. I slowly fell out of love, though, when my right foot began wanting for more "oomph" than the wheezy engine could deliver.

It was around this time that I bought my dad's old '91 Mustang GT from him:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior

He'd promised it to me for about the first 15 years of my life before realizing that, "Duh. I probably shouldn't give this kid a muscle car at 16." He eventually upgraded to a '13 FOR MOAR POWAH and I was able to coax him out of it for a few grand. I got the car with ~38k miles on it and very few modification, save for underdrive pullies and what appeared to be ancient, cast iron Flowmaster mufflers. Since then I've thrown on GT40 heads, a GT40 tubular intake (upper), GT40 lower manifold, headers, 24lb. injectors, and a bunch of other small bits. She mostly sits in the garage now as a project car. Currently, there's something wonky with the upper/lower intake interface that's causing an irritating whistling. I'm guessing the gasket is torn, or there's a vaccum leak somewhere. Or maybe a bolt isn't tightened down enough. Could also be the CAI...

Anyway, some time May '16 my poor Fiesta got flooded out. So, too, did my mom's '09 Malibu and my girlfriend's '11 Compass. It was a rough couple of weeks. My Fiesta ended up getting totaled, the girlfriend's Compass received a new engine and transmission, and my mom's 165k Malibu received a brand spanking new engine. Mama ended up buying a '17 Escape and sold me the Malibu for a few grand. The 'bu was a fully-loaded LTZ with the upgraded 3.6L V6. Not a bad car, and it could really pull if you put your foot in it. Alas, I found myself missing the sportiness of the Fiesta (if you can call it that). I rode out the Malibu as long as I could, but the wearing chassis was like an anchor tied to the refreshed engine. Squeaks, rattles, and electrical oddities wore on me to the point that I was once again looking to buy a new car.

Enter the Focus ST:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Ford Bumper

After a mind-numbing amount of shopping around, I came across a lone '17 ST2 in Race Red with the navigation and rim upgrades. MSRP was a smidge under $31k, and after a bit of haggling I was driving off with my new car for $25k OTD.

Within a few days, I'd compiled my mod list:

Text Font Line Screenshot Parallel

As you can see, I've already completed a few (as indicated by the "X" to the left of the list). The chances that I'll actually complete this list are slim, but I'll be damned if I don't plan to try! I'll be chronicling my build here, updating periodically when something exciting happens. I haven't even had a chance to get some decent pics taken with the intermittent rain we've had around here, but rest assured: they're coming.

Thanks for reading!

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
12/3 Update!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Bumper

Installed:

• New plates
  • JBR Armor Mud Flaps
  • VXMotors Wing Risers

Install Queue:

• Hella Sharptone Horns

Ordered:

• Mishimoto FMIC
  • VelossaTech Big Mouth v3 (glow-in-the-dark body, red flare)
  • Velossa Tech Rear Diffuser Fins (black)

Other Changes:

• Lower grille removed (tabs not yet cut)
  • ​Dash cam installed w/ incognito wire routing

12/17 Update!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Tire

Installed:

• Mishimoto Performance Intercooler
  • Hella Sharptones (custom painted horn grilles)

Install Queue:

• Empty...

Ordered:

• VelossaTech Big Mouth v3 (glow-in-the-dark body, red flare)
  • Velossa Tech Rear Diffuser Fins (black)

Other Changes:

• Plastic bumper guard removed
  • Active Grille Shutters removed (motor secured under car to avoid CEL)
  • Upper and lower air shrouds removed
  • Plastic behind upper grille trimmed off
  • Lower grille tabs removed and painted

12/21 Update!

Datalog w/ Stock FMIC:

Text Line Technology Font Electronics

Datalog w/ Mishi FMIC:

Text Line Sky Font Night

I saw a nearly 85% reduction in Charge Air Temps after installing the Mishimoto Performance Intercooler - not bad!

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reserved #2

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reserved #3

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reserved #4

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reserved #5

·
Registered
766 Posts
That is big list, looking forward to the updates

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Good build list overall for sure, Most parts are pretty subjective honestly so, to each is own.

IMO get Depo's downpipe and Intercooler instead of what you have listed.
Or CP-E's if you want name brand.

I also pondered the functionality of Velossatech's rear diffuser fins.
I pretty much gave up on them because I don't see them as actaully being anything more than aesthetic. They just aren't big enough etc to work aerodynmically. As a proper rear diffuser is more than just vertical fins.

In order for it to work it requires a relatively low ride height which you could achieve with coilovers, a flat underbody of the car, ours is pretty flat, but also optimal angle at the rear of the car, along with the rakes (fins). I think there are better rear diffuser options for our car than Velossatech's. If you were to get rear front splitter and a low ride heigh, I think a diffuser could be more than a visual upgrade for our car for sure.

I'm not sure if this one is any better, but I feel like they would be, if the angle of attack is correct.

https://vegamotorworks.com/shop-2/2013-2017-focus-st-rear-diffuser
Perhaps all this aero talk just requires its own thread. Maybe someone with actual hands on aerodynamic experience can chime in, I only know what I read.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good build list overall for sure, Most parts are pretty subjective honestly so, to each is own.

IMO get Depo's downpipe and Intercooler instead of what you have listed.
Or CP-E's if you want name brand.
I was initially considering the CPe Lightweight, but the pre-sale on the Mishi is a pretty solid deal. I like the all-black look of their FMIC, as well. The Depo Beast seems like a great deal, but I've heard mixed reviews...

I also pondered the functionality of Velossatech's rear diffuser fins.
I pretty much gave up on them because I don't see them as actaully being anything more than aesthetic. They just aren't big enough etc to work aerodynmically. As a proper rear diffuser is more than just vertical fins.

In order for it to work it requires a relatively low ride height which you could achieve with coilovers, a flat underbody of the car, ours is pretty flat, but also optimal angle at the rear of the car, along with the rakes (fins). I think there are better rear diffuser options for our car than Velossatech's. If you were to get rear front splitter and a low ride heigh, I think a diffuser could be more than a visual upgrade for our car for sure.

I'm not sure if this one is any better, but I feel like they would be, if the angle of attack is correct.

https://vegamotorworks.com/shop-2/2013-2017-focus-st-rear-diffuser
Perhaps all this aero talk just requires its own thread. Maybe someone with actual hands on aerodynamic experience can chime in, I only know what I read.
I was honestly just looking at the fins for aesthetic reasons - I'm sure they have nearly zero effect on aerodynamics. I'm glad you turned me onto Vega Motorworks, though - I'm digging the front splitter and side skirts!

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I was initially considering the CPe Lightweight, but the pre-sale on the Mishi is a pretty solid deal. I like the all-black look of their FMIC, as well. The Depo Beast seems like a great deal, but I've heard mixed reviews...

I was honestly just looking at the fins for aesthetic reasons - I'm sure they have nearly zero effect on aerodynamics. I'm glad you turned me onto Vega Motorworks, though - I'm digging the front splitter and side skirts!
Me too, I just found their stuff last week, it looks good. I'm kinda doing a 'tarmac' build for my ST, its more of a garage queen than anything, but I wouldn't mind throwing on their splitter and diffuser.

I've been lookin at the maxon and SS tuning rear lower valance replacement for the facelift ST also, as it replaces the lower part of the bumper with a diffuser/splitter.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had one hell of a time tracking down aftermarket replacement bumpers for the facelift ST. I've heard Loder (sp?) thrown around, but for the life of me can't figure out how to order from them. I guess Rebel Devil Customs used to order in their stuff but doesn't any more?

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pics from the Mishimoto FMIC install!

Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior Engine

Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Car Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Red

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

Grille Grass Auto part Rectangle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Supercar

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior

I trimmed the excess red plastic that sits behind the upper grille with the intent of shaving the back of the grille, but I got lazy and decided to just pop the grille back in. Maybe next time!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts