Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a set of coilovers for a bit now (I actually sent a PM for info about Megan Racing ones) and while looking at your site for alternatives for the Megan Racing Street Series, I saw the ISC N1 coilovers and they look pretty good, good price (and I see that when you say shipping is free it means to HI as well :in love:) and I see a lot of good reviews on other sites. I have a couple questions about them, which may sway me away from the Megan Racing.

1. I really like the spring rates on the Megan Street series (10kf/8kr) and I see that ISC has custom spring rates available. Is there an extra charge for custom rates? Also, would I be right to assume it would take longer for me to get them? How much difference would there really be (10k/8k vs 10k/6.6k)?
2. The description says that Thrust bearings are a free upgrade. Are those the same thing as radial bearings? The description sounds similar. Also, do they come with these bearings by default or is it just not an extra charge to change them?
3. This may be a dumb question, but the photo also shows sway bar end links (at least that's what they look like...) along with the coils. Do they include end links with some of their kits? This is just out of curiosity, since I didn't see a mention of it in the description and I just cant think of why they would put that in the pic.

So I have pretty much decided against the Megan Racing EZ Street coils (spring rates are too low), and I hear that KSport coils aren't the greatest from quite a few people, so it seems to be between the Megan Racing Street series and the ISC at this point, since anything else that I would like is significantly more expensive. The prevailing opinion on the internet at large seems to say that the ISCs are better, but I'm still not 100% sure yet. Any help you can give me would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So...... anything? Any help at all? I'm looking at ordering some stuff soon, so I'd really like to get some info.

Also, yesterday your site had a lot of parts for the ST listed and today I looked again to see about the Breedt intake spacers and now there are like 12 parts total that come up... site issues?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've asked isc before but they are not planning anything for the St

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Well, both THM's site and ISC's have coilovers listed for the ST, so I can only assume they have already gone past planning.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Sorry about that guys. I've been have some technical difficulties over here.

The ISC's for the Focus ST aren't done yet as far as I know. If you are looking for something custom and well made you should PM me about Fortune Auto anyway. Built in the US and carry a great warranty. Ask anyone on here who has purchased them so far. I've gotten nothing but great feedback about them. I even run a set on my personal vehicle.

Let me know!

Dewey @ THM

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually asked about the Fortune Autos a while back, and while they sound like they are really nice, they are a little more expensive than I would like just now. I'm really looking for something under $1000, like the ISC or the Megan Racing. I PMed you a few days ago about the Megan Racing ones also; I really want some in the price range of the EZ streets but I don't like the lower spring rates. I saw on ISC's website that they do a version without the pillow ball mounts for a bit less. Is this something you might carry eventually? I want the higher spring rates of the higher end coils but I cant see myself needing to adjust camber. If not, I would probably go with the ISC or Megan Streets unless we could work out a deal for the Fortune Autos. I'll send you another PM later on today to see what my options are.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
have you looked into the vogtland (sp?) coilovers? they have a great reputation in the euro market and just came out with a set for the st

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took a look at them, but there is almost no info on the specs that I can find anywhere. Also, Vogtland's own website doesn't list the part, not even the part number that I found on horsepowerdirect.com's site. I asked Ryan if he could get any more info for me, but I feel like they are going to have lower spring rates than I would like and non adjustable dampers since all of the other ones I looked at were that way.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just dont know... Its almost $500 more than the Megan EZ Street. It might be a lot better, but thats just a lot of money to me right now.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I've used isc n1 on my rx8 and it's pretty damn good for its price. My garage uses it for its track car for both drift events and time attacks. I'm using bc now and it's a letdown honestly. It's too stiff and jumpy. Changing to bilstein b8 and eibach lowering springs

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've used isc n1 on my rx8 and it's pretty damn good for its price. My garage uses it for its track car for both drift events and time attacks. I'm using bc now and it's a letdown honestly. It's too stiff and jumpy. Changing to bilstein b8 and eibach lowering springs

I keep hearing the same thing from some of the Subaru and S2000 communities. Some people compared them favorable to Tein, which makes them very interesting to me.

·
Registered
525 Posts
You seem to be in a different market, but I got Bilstein pss coilovers, and the only way I can describe them is perfect. Got them for 950 shipped I believe, so just inside your range. They also go decently low. Probably very low if you made some minor modifications.

The reason I decided to go with Bilstein is because the focus st has an excellent stock suspension in my opinion, and Bilstein was the only company (aside from KW) I would trust to actually improve(performace wise) on the stock suspension setup. KW entry level coilovers were like 1500 I believe and I could not justify that much on a brand new car.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As far as I can remember, Bilstein does not have adjustible dampers, nor do I have any idea what spring rates they use. I dont really care about going low, I only plan to lower it about 1-1.5in or so. What I want is to get the spring rates I want and be able to adjust the damping force. I agree that Bilstein is a great product for a good price, but it just doesnt do what I want it to. Same with KW; the only ones that are even close to a reasonable price dont have any adjustability, dampers, camber, nothing.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lol, yes we are. They are actually what I wanted from the beginning. And if they were just a little less expensive I would probably have ordered a set already. But if I'm going to get them at their price I gotta wait a bit, which is what I'm going to do. I might still try the ISC's if you have them when I'm ready to get some, but I'll have to wait for those anyway so.....

On a related note, when I asked about Fortune Auto's the first time you recommended 5kgF/5.3kgR spring rates for a daily driver/occasional track or autox car. If I wanted to go a bit more agressive than that with the spring rates, but not completely insane, what would you recommend? One or maybe two steps up from that is what I'm thinking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts