Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Is your car randomly stalling or is it idling wierd...read this

870K views 3K replies 464 participants last post by  BkSt94 
#1 ·
I've noticed a few people worth the same problem that I just had yesterday. My car all of a sudden stuffers drops Rpms then dies at a busy stoplight right when it turned green lol. Anyway my cel is on and I'm experiencing a lot of the same things as others with this same problem taking it to the dealer today but I called and they said they don't provide a loaner while it gets fixed so I'm pretty pissed that a car with 2200 miles on it is already faulting, I love this car too much for it to be a lemon! I'll keep this posted with updates

#2 ·
My dealers don't provide loaners either. Complete BS.

Sorry to hear about the issues!

#3 ·
I've had this issue too, for about a month. Happens to me almost every time I exit the highway and the rpms drop. My car will stall, almost always start right back up, occasionally doesn't want to start back up at all. When all of these issues started a message on my info display said "hill assist not available, service soon." Would like to know what your dealer discovered.

Thanks!
Jaison

#5 ·
Took mine in today. They claim the actuator for the sound symposer is stuck open and that is causing the car to idle erratic and stall at lights. They ordered the part, unplugged the electrical connector on mine and sent me on my way. Car died before I got out of the parking lot. Back to the drawing board tomorrow I guess, as I didn't want to take it back since I was on my lunch hour. Stupid.

Lemme know what answer you get!

Jaison

#6 ·
Got my car back again today. After dropping it off this morning and "recommending" they check into the MAP sensor, as well as replacing the "sound symposer valve", they kept the car for almost 8 hours. Replaced both the valve and the MAP sensor. Car seems to be running fine now, but it has been very random with its stalling, so I'll give it through the weekend. Dealer put 20 miles on the car, with their computer connected and after swapping out both parts, never experienced a fault. Fingers crossed. They left my ticket open and told me to report back Monday.

Jaison

#7 ·
well i got my car back and they said it was the map sensor and the sound symposer valve, they replaced both. my car still is not acting right and the idle still fluctuates quite a bit. im worried its all gonna happen again. i know there is going to be a few things a lil off because of the new platform but im really worried this car is going to end up being a shop plopper. anyway wish me luck

#9 ·
Well my worries showed true and when I started my car leaving from work all of my original problems happened again but this time it died in the middle of an intersection. And I almost got t boned(I was turning right on red). So this to me is starting to become a safety issue and I'm not happy at all what if I had my two kids in the car and i did get an accident. I don't have time to go to my dealer today but I'm gonna go sometime tomorrow. Anyway im Pretty pissed

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Has anyone else had this issue? It's been happening a few times to me but today it was so bad I would have to keep blipping the throttle to stop it from stalling when stopping, in gear under load there's no issues, only when I'm on the clutch when coming to a stop, it will be going in to ford tomorrow but I was hoping for some information to go on, thanks!

Edit by ST3 4 ME:

For anyone looking for more info here is the link to all current TSB's and the TSB related to the stalling issue.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...nything-else-people-want-know-2013-model.html

TSB 13-09-07 is the one you are looking for.

#12 ·
Has anyone else had this issue? It's been happening a few times to me but today it was so bad I would have to keep blipping the throttle to stop it from stalling when stopping, in gear under load there's no issues, only when I'm on the clutch when coming to a stop, it will be going in to ford tomorrow but I was hoping for some information to go on, thanks!
Is there a check engine light? Since our cars are drive by wire my guess is a sensor malfunction or vacuum leak.

#16 ·
Ill definitely be getting more information, no CEL, no codes, just random stalling if I don't heel toe blip the throttle to keep it running, the dealership I'm going to my friend is a tech there so he will let me know what he finds. Last night he said it sounded like a map sensor malfunction but it very well could be what ever controls the idle on these. As soon as I know more, you guys will too.

#19 ·
Well, tried re-creating the issue this morning, lots of stop and go, some high way pulls then coming to a stop on the side, nothing, the idle dropped quite low once but came back up to normal, starting to think a dealer trip may not be necessary at this point but I'm going to keep trying to re create it for a bit and ill get back to you guys

#23 ·
Fortunately it should be a relatively simple fix.

#24 ·
Yep, MAP on the intake manifold seems to be slow responding, if it were the map just after the air box it would have a rough idle, but it definitely idles smooth when it does idle. Anyways next Tuesday she's booked in for warranty, til then gotta manually correct the idle with a quick blip of the throttle. When I get the details you guys will be next to know.

#26 ·
Well, I'm still dealing with the same issue. Dealer had my car for 6 days, swapped out the sound symposer and claimed that the evap canister was FULL of fuel from me "overfilling" the gas tank. Spent time with "ford engineering" and "solved" my problem. Car ran fine for one commute, (90 miles) then began dying once again. Pretty awesome.

#27 ·
Not only would I take it to the dealer, I'd be on the phone with Ford. I've found in the past that generally, regardless of company, this approach gets you results: talk to someone and if they don't quickly work to fix your problem, ask for their supervisor. If that person does not immediately say they will work to fix your issue, tell the, yet can stop talking and to go get their supervisor. It usually does not take long before you get an appropriate response, and usually from someone who can actually make things happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.