Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you really can't afford a better intercooler (which is recommended). Then you can pull the active grill shutter out. Just make sure you leave the motor for the grill shutters plugged in and tucked away. This goes for an aftermarket I/C too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you really can't afford a better intercooler (which is recommended). Then you can pull the active grill shutter out. Just make sure you leave the motor for the grill shutters plugged in and tucked away. This goes for an aftermarket I/C too.
Why do we need to keep the shutters plugged in?
Because you may throw a code if u leave it un plugged. I have a cpe icu and with 90 ambient in bumper traffic i run 115 to 120 charge temps. At highway spd i run about 90 to 95 charge temps. Imo change ur icu.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Because you may throw a code if u leave it un plugged. I have a cpe icu and with 90 ambient in bumper traffic i run 115 to 120 charge temps. At highway spd i run about 90 to 95 charge temps. Imo change ur icu.
It will throw a code, but it's a soft code and will not illuminate the CEL or cause any issues.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Why do we need to keep the shutters plugged in?
Just leave it plugged in and ziptie it to the location where it plugs in at like I did, so it's tucked out of the way. Then your tuner can entirely disable the code if you get a tune.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I changed my FMIC before I got my AP. But with an aftermarket FMIC I'm normaly 2-8° from abient when accelerating. During traffic it will go up but never seen go way off

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
477 Posts
If I were you I'd leave the shutters in until you get an intercooler. When you take them out, take out the whole assembly including the motor. If I recall correctly, 15 and up models display an inaccurate charge temperature on the AP, so it's a slightly inflated temp that you see. Stratified corrected this in their tunes.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I would just pull the shutters. They are a piece of garbage. Do you really care that your oil and coolant heats up 3 minutes quicker than without them? Caused me 3 dealer trips and limp mode every time because they were stuck closed. They gave me a new one and two days later I took them out in favor of a bigger IC.
Also removing the motor won't throw a code, a soft code will never show up even on the accessport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
517 Posts
stock intercooler sucks at cooling. for this reason i think its one of the best mods-- do it. I run a depo 3.5 because i'm cheap and it works.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this... Just installed my Depo 3.5" that i got from the wife for xmas about 3 weeks ago... got my tune from mountune last wednesday... 52 deg ambient temps for my first data long for Randy and my charge temps never went over 76 deg.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Stock intercooler, mostly stock 2016 Focus ST. I notice the temp goes up when accelerating hard, which I would expect. But is this normal? If not what can I do to improve charge temps?

(if the photo doesn't load for whatever reason, I have a peak charge temp of 169°)[/QUOT yess get an fmic asap. 99 degree ambient with 99 degree charge temps. It would have to be 169 outside to get ur charge temps?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts