Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was an orignial PM i sent Chris @ PAnda but I'd like to see what the community thinks : I have some some questions.I love the 1/4 mile and knowing that my car has power and seeing those pwer gains in the 1/4 mile runs. First off i have the FRPP tune. My trap speeds are 99.5- 100.5 at 14.3, give or take. I have FRPP CAI, Short shifter, rear sway, Depo inter-cooler and the FRPP tune. I was pretty disappointed to say the least. Working the numbers im thinking that my car is pushing about 315 tq and about 260hp HP at the wheels. This seems to me to be the equivalent to 'stage 3' numbers. Matter of fact i saw 3 other stage 3 guys at the track that day and none were above my in MPH or E.T. I really wanted to see traps speeds of around 105 or about 290 to the wheels. Could buying a COBB and a custom tune net me any real significant gain using 93 ocatne? or is this FRPP tune pretty much topping out what this k03 can supply? Buying a COBB unit for 500 dollars would seem like a waste if it cant net me anything for then what the FRPP is already pushing

PS i know i will need one if i get a bigger turbo, but im not sure if im ready to go that route yet

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yes, no question about it. I make 261whp and 345wtq on a stock car with only a down pipe and a ots tune from stratified. That's the main ingredient to all the mods.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
FRPP retains factory warranty, correct? if so, it is probably a fairly conservative tune OTS, so going with COBB OTS or a personalized tune would do well.

Edit: if you pick the COBB AP up new through a vendor like stratified or some of the others, it will include a custom tune for $500ish bucks. otherwise, you can picke them up used for about 400 but have to pay for custom

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
FRPP retains factory warranty, correct? if so, it is probably a fairly conservative tune OTS, so going with COBB OTS or a personalized tune would do well.

Edit: if you pick the COBB AP up new through a vendor like stratified or some of the others, it will include a custom tune for $500ish bucks. otherwise, you can picke them up used for about 400 but have to pay for custom
Nope. It gets through FRPP warrenty. 3yr/36k. Factory is 5yr/60k.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Depo inter-cooler
Im pretty sure the FRPP tune isnt taking into account your FMIC - Cobb, stratified and others, can factor this in get a bit more power out of your car

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Nope. It gets through FRPP warrenty. 3yr/36k. Factory is 5yr/60k.

Factory warranty is also 3yr/36k is it not? That's what mine is

Edit: or shall I say "was"

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Bumper to bumper. Power train is 5yr/60k.

I forgot about that. Wonder if there is a slim chance I'd be able to get my syncros checked out since 2nd gear sucks in my car.

To the OP's question, if you get the Accessport off a tuner here on the forum (not from Cobb directly) you will definitely get a better and stronger tune. You'll risk not having warranty coverage though. You also benefit from the awesome Cobb/Stratified traction control.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
Your frpp tune isn't making 260 whp. Sorry. It makes torque for days but nearly stock up numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
apologies. I calculated for crank not wheel. The other ST, with a Stage 3 tune (so he said), ran a hair under what i did. I trapped 100.2 he trapped 99.9. I was kinda shocked i was expecting more from him. Welp, that being said, the dynoed stage 3 STs are pushing 260 WHP, so i guess there is something to be gained. What do stage 3's trap?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Trap speeds of Stage 3 cars vary. I've seen as low as 102 and as high as a 105 assuming stock weight.

In your shoes here's what I would do, as always do the cheap things first.

1) Max your stock preload on the turbo. Since you have an intercooler upgrade it should work better. On my car I gained 1.7 mph of trap speed on that mod alone = Free
2) 80-20 Coolant Change. I dropped about half a gallon of coolant out and replaced it with drinking water and Purple Ice. My coolant temps recover very quickly after a 1/4 mile blast and to test it's effectiveness I ran 3 passes back to back as that is all I could get in the session and the car ran 13.5 all three times at 100 mph showing minimal reduction in power.

3) Remove weight. Now I know this can be controversial but I don't see why not. I have legitmate reasons for not removing weight every time I hit the track. That is mostly because I am either going to do Uber that night or I just shut down Uber (3 am). I am really not in the mood to start removing things and I rather not leave my seats and stuff out track side.

The seats alone (passenger and back seats) is well over 150 lbs total. Remove the spare and jack and you're at 200 lbs = 2 tenths/2 mph or more.

I'd say with those changes 3-4 mph improvement is more than possible.

Of course there's a much more tidy way of improving trap speed without as much work, stay tuned and watch my build thread.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ive only taken my ST out to the track one time. Ran 4 or 5 passes that night and trapped between 104 and 105 every time. My car is "stage 3" and I run an E30 tune by Troy from Panda Motorworks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts