Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the dreaded misfire on cyl 3 back in 2016 and had rid myself of the car being the dealership I was dealing with was not being helpful. I will not get into that here though. I wanted to get another one as it was the most fun car I have ever owned. Are there still some issues regarding any tunes or.... not sure where exactly I am going but I am iffy on jumping back to Ford. Any info given is appreciated, all you folks are awesome.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Only a small percentage of them were having issues, the car is still just as reliable as it always have been minus some occasional lemons. 53k here (2014) and literally 0 issues other than a slightly worn 2nd gear syncro (my fault). Car has been Stratified tuned since 20k and had an intake, motor mount upgrade, and Boomba BOV since 7k. At 23k my car was stage 3 with all the mods I have now and it has run perfectly for me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a '17 and have had no issues, no misfires and the engine runs very smooth even in real cold weather. It's a shame that a dealership made you stay away from Ford since dealerships act almost entirely independent from Ford.

Reactions: brian60

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Only a small percentage of them were having issues, the car is still just as reliable as it always have been minus some occasional lemons. 53k here and literally 0 issues other than a slightly worn 2nd gear syncro (my fault)
I will second this, mine has been pretty reliable too almost 23k miles on a 2015. There have been a couple bumps but nothing major or entirely Ford's fault. Keep in mind Ford has been making cars for 100+ years, the ST is still a Focus & we do not hear about those breaking down endlessly, Ford knows what they are doing. They are not perfect but they run a tight enough ship that the errors are kept to an acceptable limit.

If you happen to be someone who got the lemon, I don't mean your problem is not real. Just rather that you are the exception, not the norm.

That being said I am going to go knock on some wood.

·
Super Moderator
9,547 Posts
I bought mine on 9/20/12 and have not had one problem.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Got mine very late in 2012 (13' model), been tuned since 25,000 miles. I now have 68,000 miles, only issue I had was the HPFP going out. Had that replaced under warranty though.

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
2012 build purchased in Mid 2013. Not only did I learn to drive stick on this car, but have been tuned since 30k and now have 79xxx on it. Not a single issue.

·
Registered
139 Posts
62,xxx on my 2013 and it's been trouble free for anything outside of warranty work (battery and axle seals). It's been well maintained but driven like a proper ST lol.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
My 2015 was a "lemon". Issues started at 5,000 miles and continued til I dumped it at 19k. Bought back by Ford and I was dumb enough to take a new 2016 ST instead of a cash payout.

My 2016 runs great. I've had it for a year and 12k miles and it's very noticeably much healthier than the 2015 (idle is smoother, no weird lurching on cold starts, etc). Both cars only got top tier 93 octane and pennzoil platinum. Only thing I've changed is that I keep it in lower gears when cruising around town. Instead of 5th or 6th when crusing at 45-50mph, I stick to 4th. :shrug:

I gave Ford another chance (partly because I'm dumb, partly because they gave me a buyback deal I couldn't refuse) and I've been happy so far.

All that said- Ford Service is horrendous and I avoid them at all costs.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've got a loaded '16 ST3 with a little less than 10,000 miles and I haven't had this much fun in a car in a long time. Problems? If you consider the climate control blowing on high once (instead of the 72° it was set on) a "problem" then look elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Bought in August 2013, 86,000 miles, stock, no issues. Maybe a little rough these cold mornings, but I still have the original spark plugs, albeit regapped twice.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My 13 ST3 has 120k and it has never experienced any of the problems that many have had. Including the wire splice issue. I’m so thankful. I absolutely love this car.

·
Registered
530 Posts
2017 with 13.5k and no issues. Your car having issues does not mean the entire fleet does. However the lemons were typically (from what I've read) electronic problems from the early years and 2015 with the face lift. Bad news makes headlines, not good. Even though the majority is good. However, any growing pains with electronics have mainly been smoothed out over time and a new 2018 will have all of the recalls and common problems Ford recognizes addressed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
33,000 miles and no issues on a 2014. I cut one of the Goodyears at about 20,000 miles and replaced them with Michelin pilots. Other than that it's been stone reliable. Dealer service has been ok, they haven't broken anything or screwed anything up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2015 was a "lemon". Issues started at 5,000 miles and continued til I dumped it at 19k. Bought back by Ford and I was dumb enough to take a new 2016 ST instead of a cash payout.

My 2016 runs great. I've had it for a year and 12k miles and it's very noticeably much healthier than the 2015 (idle is smoother, no weird lurching on cold starts, etc). Both cars only got top tier 93 octane and pennzoil platinum. Only thing I've changed is that I keep it in lower gears when cruising around town. Instead of 5th or 6th when crusing at 45-50mph, I stick to 4th. :shrug:

I gave Ford another chance (partly because I'm dumb, partly because they gave me a buyback deal I couldn't refuse) and I've been happy so far.

All that said- Ford Service is horrendous and I avoid them at all costs.
^what he said.
Curious, how did you get a buyback? 29K on my 2016 ST1 and I'm on transmission #3 (internal bearing failure, 3-4th gear syncros, etc.) and I'm fairly certain my car is possessed (doors randomly fly open, seat randomly slides fore-aft, random buttons dont work intermittently, more squeaks and rattles than ive ever heard). Its a POS that I've ascertained cannot, and will not ever be fixed. Would be absolutely thrilled to get a new one.

Worst part, its in flawless shape (i am anal about maintenance) and the I cannot get a trade in greater than $9500, and I owe $17k... I'm so upside down its not even funny.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts