Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Is the RS intake CARB legal

5K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  xTheMan42 
#1 ·
I live in SoCal and on my way back from work last night I got pulled over for being too loud, but I was only going 47 in 4th gear. The cop proceeded to tell me that my car was loud and told me to pop the hood. I thought nothing was illegal in the engine because I've only had this car for a year and I haven't done much to it. I have a Cobb air filter with an RS intake house. I bought this car used with 26k miles and it already had the intake housing, and before it had a Flowmaster outlaw exhaust which was basically straight piped but I changed it to an MSRP exhaust. Long story short the only thing the cop told me was that I cant have an open intake housing bc it was illegal but I told him it comes stock on the rs, which he rudely told me that I don't have an RS. So I'm wondering Is the RS intake housing CARB approved because I know the filter is, and the new exhaust has twice the size maybe even 3 times the size of resonator. If so I have to get it changed then checked by the state referee, but if everything on my car is legal in fighting the ticket, I do have the stage one cobb tune tho because of the air filter.

See less See more
#2 ·
I live in SoCal and on my way back from work last night I got pulled over for being too loud, but I was only going 47 in 4th gear. The cop proceeded to tell me that my car was loud and told me to pop the hood. I thought nothing was illegal in the engine because I've only had this car for a year and I haven't done much to it. I have a Cobb air filter with an RS intake house. I bought this car used with 26k miles and it already had the intake housing, and before it had a Flowmaster outlaw exhaust which was basically straight piped but I changed it to an MSRP exhaust. Long story short the only thing the cop told me was that I cant have an open intake housing bc it was illegal but I told him it comes stock on the rs, which he rudely told me that I don't have an RS. So I'm wondering Is the RS intake housing CARB approved because I know the filter is, and the new exhaust has twice the size maybe even 3 times the size of resonator. If so I have to get it changed then checked by the state referee, but if everything on my car is legal in fighting the ticket, I do have the stage one cobb tune tho because of the air filter. View attachment 391095
The part is the same for the ST/RS - so the officer is incorrect:

2013-2018 FOCUS ST PERFORMANCE RS COLD AIR INTAKE BOX| Part Details for M-9603-FSTA | Ford Performance Parts

It doesn't state CARB compliance - however, being this is the same part installed OEM on the RS, I would argue it is compliant.

Also looking at this the FRPP Calibration kit, being that its marked "CARB" compliant, I would think the RS intake would make no difference:

Ford Performance M-9603A-FSTA Focus ST Calibration With Spark Plugs And Cold Air Intake 2013-2018 (cjponyparts.com)

The shame here is it's missing the official "50 states legal" designation on the page, so you'd need to justify your case with the evidence above.

Emissions Compliance - Ford Performance Parts

#5 ·
So this is a BS gray area. Yes the RS air filter assembly is an OEM part. However this same part (lid) wasn't originally equipped on the ST trim from the factory, with the factory emissions standards. In no other part of the known universe should this make any difference. Except in Commifornia.

Yes it's a sad state of affairs (literally) when a member of law enforcement is more concerned about a random regulation that supporting the constitution. However this is the direct decision of voters.

I will never forget the words of my first FTO.

"If you want to get rid of a BS law, start enforcing it."

The side of the road however isn't the time and place to "educate" anyone. That's what court rooms and state reps offices are for.

I personally am always more willing to debate topics when I'm not worry about getting run over or shot in the face... but that's just me.

Stay Safe

J

#21 ·
I'll even 3D print the ST logo for you and ship it to you ;)

Alabama is backwards in many ways, but boy do some of these posts make me happy to live here.

Reactions: Cobranut and ddfred
#13 ·
Carb legal is bs. I had a AEM cold air installed on my 2005 civic SI. He told me that It technically failed because the carb sticker was for 2004 Civic Si, even though the engine and chassis are identical. He was cool and still passed it. I would think that this would fall under the same category since it isn’t made for the ST but for the RS.

#16 ·
Any change in configuration requires recertification and that equals big $.

And again I repeat, the single most dangerous phrase in history:
"We're from the government and we're here to help"

#17 ·
This is what I’ve learned living in California having several cars with “illegal” parts: 90% of the Cops on the road don’t know **** about car parts; so play dumb and act like you have no idea what they’re talking about. My favorite line to use “Oh wow, I had no idea. I haven’t changed anything on the car since I’ve bought it and didn’t know the dealer could sell a car that wasn’t CARB compliant.” SMOG shops are 50/50. Some can be ball busters, and some simply don’t care when it comes to the majority of bolt ons. It’s honestly a gamble and all you can do to be prepared for any issues is to have stock parts stashed for visual inspections.

#20 ·
Yeah, but instead of hating Jews, he hates emissions; and instead of throwing you in a gas chamber, he just taxes you to death.

Reactions: Cobranut
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.