Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a new '17 last Tuesday. By Friday I was stage 1 with the Cobb OTS 93 OCT Stage 1 map (waiting on my Stratified map). I have yet to go WOT from a dig and run through the gears. Well today an opportunity arose where I "needed" to do such a thing. My god the 1-2 shift was frightening!!! I thought the ****ing motor was ripped out of the car there was such a bang and jolt. I can only assume, and hope, this is due to the factory RMM and is why everyone changes it? The 2-3 shift was no where near as violent. Please tell me this is the crappy stock RMM so I can replace it and on the occasion I run through the gears I don't have to worry about ripping the engine from the mount.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would try it again just to make sure it wasn't driver error (I know, I know, but it happens). I have a '14 ST and abused it a few times, but never felt it kick or bang as bad as I've seen some people talk about on here. Of course, my RMM also just failed 2 weeks ago (just under 59k miles), so there's that.

I'd say go with the Cobb or CP-e 2-piece, just as a pro-active step. Those seem to be the most popular. I replaced my factory with a Cobb RMM and love the feeling at idle. There seems to be a different feel under harsh acceleration, but I don't know if I'd call it a "huge improvement".

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would try it again just to make sure it wasn't driver error (I know, I know, but it happens). I have a '14 ST and abused it a few times, but never felt it kick or bang as bad as I've seen some people talk about on here. Of course, my RMM also just failed 2 weeks ago, so there's that.

I'd say go with the Cobb or CP-e 2-piece, just as a pro-active step. Those seem to be the most popular. I replaced my factory with a Cobb RMM and love the feeling at idle. There seems to be a different feel under harsh acceleration, but I don't know if I'd call it a "huge improvement".

Well, its going to be hard for me to correct the driver error issue. I'm use to rear wheel drive V8'. When I'm "going all in" its drop the clutch and mash it to the floor, especially when whatever I'm driving needs no throttle control due to lack of being able to spin the tires. Ill give it another try and see if I can re-program myself in this car to be a tad easier on that shift.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I made mine bang on the test drive, rmm should remedy it but until then I am just slightly less aggressive and it doesn't bang/hop.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
In this day and age anything can void the warranty.. it is up to the dealer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is so true. I've had some dealers weasel out of warranty work in the past for obscene reasons.
I actually just went through this with my ST. My factory transmission mount broke, but the dealership said someone had messed around with it earlier and crossthreaded the bolts while installing it. Since I was the 2nd owner, I called the dealership I bought it from and they didn't say anything about any work being done on the RMM, so they said it would've had to be the previous owner. I had no way of knowing if the previous owner installed an aftermarket option, then swapped back in the factory RMM before selling it back. The mount broke and caused me to have the car towed, with threat of the transmission being FUBAR from being misaligned for a mile while grinding the entire way. They said that if the transmission needed to be replaced, it WOULDN'T be covered since someone had tampered with the mounts.

So if you're worried about the warranty, don't replace the mount until 60k miles. Otherwise, any little fingerprint or tool mark will give them a reason to think something else failed and caused the transmission to fail.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I swapped the CPE stage 2 into mine right after it came available. People complain about the vibrations but I really only noticed it when the A/C was on. It does get annoying but I don't turn my A/C on much unless the lady friend is in the car...
Having gone on now I replaced all the motor mounts out now with stiffer ones and it makes the car feel so much better. I highly suggest it.
The banging you hear is just the mount bottoming out within itself, the insides are insanely soft, you'll be surprised when you get it off and see how different it is compared the new one you'll put it.

I highly suggest doing it, if you have a dealer that isn't awful or one that is fairly open to modified cars (They're out there) then you'll be fine.
I know there are a few TX Facebook ST groups, I'm sure they have the inside scoop on the local dealers, who to see, and who to avoid.

Cheers mate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts