Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the later models of these cars got twin scroll but are the '15 2.0 ecoboost engines in the Escape, Fusion and Edge actually the same as the ST minus the oil cooler? I've heard quite a few people say they are, but heard from someone that the ST motor had more bracing or support for the block so it wouldn't be the best option to buy and build. Any truth to this?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I know the later models of these cars got twin scroll but are the '15 2.0 ecoboost engines in the Escape, Fusion and Edge actually the same as the ST minus the oil cooler? I've heard quite a few people say they are, but heard from someone that the ST motor had more bracing or support for the block so it wouldn't be the best option to buy and build. Any truth to this?
Nope, exactly the same. The Fusion does have a slightly different shaped intake manifold. The ST is the only one with the oil cooler but they bolt onto the other blocks.

Untitled.png

·
Registered
625 Posts
I know everyone says the ST is the only one with an oil cooler but I'm pretty damn sure my old Ecoboost Escape had it as well. Don't have it anymore or I'd go take a pic. It's hard to miss the coolant lines going in and out.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I know everyone says the ST is the only one with an oil cooler but I'm pretty damn sure my old Ecoboost Escape had it as well. Don't have it anymore or I'd go take a pic. It's hard to miss the coolant lines going in and out.
Might have been for the transmission, actually. Some of the older gen Escapes had them and those who didn't get them stock, upgraded to help fend off tranny issues that were somewhat common. Perhaps that became a standard over the years?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
When I told my mom we have the same engines (she has an escape) she was very skeptical haha definitely the same though.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Range Rover Evoque, Jaguar XE 2.0T, and Land Rover Discovery Sport all rock the 2.0 EcoBoost from the Focus ST as well.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
the coolant hoses that run to the oil cooler are more like a temperature regulator, since the coolant warms up faster than the oil, the "oil cooler" also helps to heat the oil up when you first start the engine up.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
@spirit actually, she already lost her turbo once at 52k miles and had it replaced under warranty. She isn't racing anyone :lol:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Range Rover Evoque, Jaguar XE 2.0T, and Land Rover Discovery Sport all rock the 2.0 EcoBoost from the Focus ST as well.
2017 was the last year wasn't it? Now the Jags move to the Ingenium 2.0-liters.

In general it is very common for brand families to share engines. The VW ea888 engine is thrown in everything from a Golf the base Porsche Macan.

·
Registered
988 Posts
So if we have have the same engines as a Fusion, you could theoretically do a transmission swap from an ST into a Fusion?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have a Fusion engine in my ST.

Swap was simple since it came from an automatic I had to reuse the flywheel and because debris got into the oil cooler (assumption) we aren't using it currently and using the stock oil mount.

No issues at all.

Put around 5,000 miles on it since it's been installed.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Good to know.

I'm looking for a totaled ST/escape/fusion in a junkyard because I want to pull the engine and just keep it for down the road in case something happens after warranty. Engine w/ accessories at junkyards are like $250, can't beat that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
so i can get a 2014 fusion/escape/edge 2.0 t and its the exact same as my 13 st motor? cylinder 1 has no compression so i was planning on ordering a 2014 escape motor on car-part.com to throw in...its $500 shipped to me, just want to confirm this will work

1 - 19 of 19 Posts