Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to add a little something and don't have a lot of spare cash. Also, a guy at my work got the exact same fost as me, on the same day.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just want to add a little something and don't have a lot of spare cash. Also, a guy at my work got the exact same fost as me, on the same day.
There's really no good answer to whether or not something is "cool", it really comes down to how you want your car to look. I've seen a few (very few) wheels that had been painted well that looked pretty good, but more often then not it ends up making them look cheap. It depends on what color you want to go with and what kind of process/money/time you're looking to put into it.

I'm assuming you have the stock wheels, and not the optional GT-looking ones (I don't know the correct models). I've seen some that have been powdercoated charcoal and black that looked pretty nice on brighter color bodies, but then again it's all subjective. What color is the paint, and what are your wheels?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Had a guy in our group that painted his stock wheels. He sanded, painted and cleared. The paint didn't last long and started chipping from road debris. He ended up powder coating them. They looked so much better powder coated and didn't chip.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Whatever you do.. don?t be a plasti dip guy lol. That s h i t looks terribad
This X 1,000.

Powdercoat would be first on the list followed by paint. Paint can turn out good, but wheels see too much abuse for it to hold up even relatively long term. Powdercoat will give you durability and that quality "this is what it should look like" look. PlastiDip isn't even an option in my book. Plastidip looks like Plastidip...it does not look like a quality job no matter how good of a job you do on it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Powder coat all the way. And on top of the cool looks from it, the baking process of the PC actually gives your rims increased durability. True story.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Rim

I had mine painted about a year and a half ago. It has held up better than I thought it would. I have just had to touch up a few very small chips. Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Car Rim

·
Registered
917 Posts
If you wanna be REALLY cool you should powder coat your brake calipers too:cool2:

Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Spoke

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Super Moderator
10,259 Posts
Your factory wheels are painted, so unless you think they are uncool there is nothing uncool about painting your wheels. Now, the color you choose could be uncool and not doing the proper prep so the paint peels or chips is uncool.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wait, I want to hear the story of how two guys working at the same place bought identical cars on the same day. Is it a big company? Did you two plan it together? Will you be picking out a china pattern? (just joking) and how did you find two identical ST's in the same area?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't worry what other people think is "cool" but personally paint isn't worth the time. Just go with powdercoating. It's only $50 a wheel and lasts forever.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't worry what other people think is "cool" but personally paint isn't worth the time. Just go with powdercoating. It's only $50 a wheel and lasts forever.

where??? I was quoted by my local shop at 150 a wheel. true story.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here in Burlington washington. The other place around me is a bit more expensive there 70 a wheel. But they take a bit longer cause there always busy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.