Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about all these post, but this new forum thing is addictive.

So with my recent spark plug problem, I thought I would do a compression test on my car and see were it stood.

Cylinder 1 was 130
Cylinder 2 was 130
Cylinder 3 was 130
Cylinder 4 was 110

I have had a little issue with oil consumption, I was leaning towards my leaky valve cover.
Is 20 psi different a big deal? It stayed at 110, it didn't lose pressure or leak.
Is this something I should be concerned about.

(13ST 55k miles)

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Sorry about all these post, but this new forum thing is addictive.

So with my recent spark plug problem, I thought I would do a compression test on my car and see were it stood.

Cylinder 1 was 130
Cylinder 2 was 130
Cylinder 3 was 130
Cylinder 4 was 110

I have had a little issue with oil consumption, I was leaning towards my leaky valve cover.
Is 20 psi different a big deal? It stayed at 110, it didn't lose pressure or leak.
Is this something I should be concerned about.

(13ST 55k miles)

Thanks in advance.
Hmmm this makes me curious about mine! I'm also in UT so we have the same altitude which is pretty high compared to other states.
PS where you located at?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Did a compression test on my 13 st with 40k about a month ago at about sea level in NJ. I was 170 across the board maybe 1 to 2 psi difference at max. I believe you don't want to see more then a 10 pis difference. Good luck and I hope everything is good for you. If not pop and drop from speed performance is probably a great option

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am kinda thinking that even 130 is low, but it is relative to elevation. Might be normal for your location, but I wouldn't be too concerned about 20 PSI. As long as you are over 100 PSI on all cylinders. Especially since you are not experiencing any leakage, there is a cylinder leakage tester than you can buy that will confirm.

In regards to oil consumption, I believe the specification is 1 quart for every 5,000 miles after the first 10,000 miles of service. Even a perfect engine consumes oil, even more so on a turbocharged engine. So unless you are losing more than a quart every 5,000 miles, I wouldn't worry about oil consumption.

If you are losing more than 1 quart every 5,000 miles, I would get it into the dealer before your powertrain warranty expires. There is an oil consumption test that can be performed to determine exactly how much oil is being lost as well as an extensive procedure in the workshop manual for determining where it is leaking. This usually requires driving more than 5,000 miles but if the RO date is before your warranty expires then it can be used to make a warranty claim. Assuming the root cause of the leak is warrantable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts