Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade to a 2867 I have supporting mods but I don't wanna spend money on a BT tune twice. I know JST offers lifetime tunes but with everything that happened with DHM lately it just makes you wonder how long these companies will be around for. So to the question. Is waiting to purchase meth worth it over getting the 2867 throwing it on and getting the meth later? People pushing a lot closer to 400 with meth than without it. I would want around 350 without it being turned all the way up. Haven't been on here before idk if this is in the wrong section.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking to upgrade to a 2867 I have supporting mods but I don't wanna spend money on a BT tune twice. I know JST offers lifetime tunes but with everything that happened with DHM lately it just makes you wonder how long these companies will be around for. So to the question. Is waiting to purchase meth worth it over getting the 2867 throwing it on and getting the meth later? People pushing a lot closer to 400 with meth than without it. I would want around 350 without it being turned all the way up. Haven't been on here before idk if this is in the wrong section.
man_file_1054287_Funniest_Memes_meth-not-even-once_8552.jpeg

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Your best off asking this one in the performance section. Those guys are well equipped to answer your questions. My understanding is you are going to need to go Meth for high HPs, matter of heat in a small engine. I could be wrong though.

·
Administrator
11,913 Posts

Please use the handy google search bar, in the future, this has been covered.

Personally, I'd bolt on the bigger snail, and get it 100 percent reliable on pump gas.

Then install W/MI and extract the rest of the power.

Less variables to troubleshoot if you do them separate. It's the safer way to go. A few bucks for a touch up tune is a whole lot cheaper than the potential problems if you do it all at once.

Tuning for W/MI means you are using it for octane so there is many factors that can lead to a Kaboom when you jump from a stage three k03 to a 2867 on meth in one go.

I edge on safety, and have 72,000 of some of the hardest ST miles because of it. I build safe, and drive hard. This is my opinion, feel free to search for others.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I wouldn't do it if you don't plan on pushing past 350. but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I went with the GTX2867r and no methanol injection. I am almost finished my tune with Alex on 98ron (93 AKI). It has transformed the car and is totally different to the K03 (for the better in my opinion). I will eventually do aux fuel for ethanol or methanol injection, but for the moment I am sitting on 348whp on Vdyno up from 264whp before the turbo and 3 inch downpipe. I think I will be building my engine before I go aux or methanol as even though people have run 400whp safely, a lot have popped things (read ringlands). I can't imagine the extra 50ish whp would also be that much more beneficial for me as I struggle to get traction even in third gear with 350whp.

It is all up to your preferences though. I am thoroughly enjoying the GTX on pump gas. If you are after every last horsepower from the turbo and to push your stock block to it's limits then you will definitely need aux fuel or methanol injection. I would see if someone near by you has a BT installed first and have a ride in it. See if you like it without methanol injection/aux.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Water methanol injection is very beneficial in all force inducted platforms but especially so in Direct Injection platforms because of the added benefit of some cleaning and preventing of buidup over the back of the intake valves. Coupled with a reliable failsafe (I use a coolingmist kit with failsafe coupled to a Stratified Guardian Angel) It can bring safe, reliable power for miles and miles.
Stratified has been tuning professionally since 2006 btw, going very strong with no signs of slowing. ;) ;)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Please use the handy google search bar, in the future, this has been covered.

Personally, I'd bolt on the bigger snail, and get it 100 percent reliable on pump gas.

Then install W/MI and extract the rest of the power.

Less variables to troubleshoot if you do them separate. It's the safer way to go. A few bucks for a touch up tune is a whole lot cheaper than the potential problems if you do it all at once.

Tuning for W/MI means you are using it for octane so there is many factors that can lead to a Kaboom when you jump from a stage three k03 to a 2867 on meth in one go.

I edge on safety, and have 72,000 of some of the hardest ST miles because of it. I build safe, and drive hard. This is my opinion, feel free to search for others.
This is exactly what I’m doing right now. I have a gen2 2867r installed. The like button is not showing up anymore on my phone but yes LIKE.
I’m in my third iteration of tunes from freektune. I’m going to get that straight on 93 and then do a switchable map to wmi. I plan on using wmi on the regular tune on more of a maintenance cycle while daily driving. Then I can switch on the fly, on the street or at the track/autocross.
But is it worth it, I think certainly yes esp since I don’t have e85 around. Also for the clean valves!

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is exactly what I’m doing right now. I have a gen2 2867r installed. The like button is not showing up anymore on my phone but yes LIKE.
I’m in my third iteration of tunes from freektune. I’m going to get that straight on 93 and then do a switchable map to wmi. I plan on using wmi on the regular tune on more of a maintenance cycle while daily driving. Then I can switch on the fly, on the street or at the track/autocross.
But is it worth it, I think certainly yes esp since I don’t have e85 around. Also for the clean valves!
How you liking the gen2? What kind of power you think you're looking at? I'm going to be installing my gen2 with wmi next month

2015 Focus st2 MM
Stage 3+ suspension and aesthetics.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I had to laugh at the title when I popped up.

On the actual topic you were asking about, these guys nailed it above.

On the illegal substance, idk..maybe once? Just not twice?

·
Registered
414 Posts
How you liking the gen2? What kind of power you think you're looking at? I'm going to be installing my gen2 with wmi next month

2015 Focus st2 MM
Stage 3+ suspension and aesthetics.
It’s been great. On wastegate pressure it feels stronger than stock turbo, I did a track day on the second iteration of the tune from freektune which was pig rich and safe for the day(Justin made it safe) at only 22 psi I third and forth pulled away from a new m2 lap after lap. Now on third tune it’s at 24.5 psi, it feels real fast, a bit of lag but less than last tune. The wmi is going to be great with it but so far with 93 data logs show plenty of gas. I can’t imagine another 50 whp haha. Guy in the m2 came over to ask me how much power my rs made lol...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Water methanol injection is very beneficial in all force inducted platforms but especially so in Direct Injection platforms because of the added benefit of some cleaning and preventing of buidup over the back of the intake valves. Coupled with a reliable failsafe (I use a coolingmist kit with failsafe coupled to a Stratified Guardian Angel) It can bring safe, reliable power for miles and miles.
Stratified has been tuning professionally since 2006 btw, going very strong with no signs of slowing.
Oh yeah I know Strat will be around.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
I had to laugh at the title when I popped up.

On the actual topic you were asking about, these guys nailed it above.

On the illegal substance, idk..maybe once? Just not twice?
As a former abuser of methamphetamine I can assure you that it is not worth it, not even once.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
As a former abuser of methamphetamine I can assure you that it is not worth it, not even once.
I can legitimately say, congratulations for overcoming that. I'd also like to apologize for the shoddy humor that I was being suggestive of. It's a legitimate problem that I myself haven't faced, but someday someone I'm close to very well have to deal with it.

Reactions: ddfred
1 - 17 of 17 Posts