Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,
New guy here looking for some advice. I don't really know too much about cars or anything like that so go easy on me.
I have had my 2017 Focus ST for about 9 months now and I'm thinking about a few minor modifications to gain extra power (Tune, Exhaust anything else I can stick on).
I have read a few posts about tuning and how it can make a big difference but I've also read that a few people have blown their engine after a tune.
Is it safe to do or should I avoid it? I bought the car brand new and was scared to void the warranty with any mods.

·
Registered
825 Posts
You say: "I don't really know too much about cars or anything like that"

Right off I would say a tune is NOT for you.
A tune requires a LOT of fiddling if you want it to be successful and not OMG I broke my motor!

SO right off without at least some car guy skills..
Forget a tune.

Then you worry about the warranty? Forget ANY mods.
I even went back to the stock filter.
Even BOV will void some warranty..
A Catch Can too.
Do you even know what those are?

·
Registered
19 Posts
You don't have to tune it yourself like was suggested above, but you can buy a Cobb Accessport which has a basic tune pre-installed. It takes all of 5 minutes to tune it then and makes a big difference in torque and smoothness.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
There are inherent risks when making modifications to increase performance; heck there are even risks when making modifications to increase safety.

With that said, everyone who has a modified and/or tuned car, has done it for the first time at some point in the past. You shouldn't be afraid just because you haven't done it before.

If you modify your car and/or tune it, then you are going to want to have an understanding of how to monitor your car for good health and how to avoid putting undo stress on your engine. Truthfully you should learn about LSPI and how best to avoid those situations even if you aren't tuned.

I wouldn't be afraid to tune, just understand that it requires a little bit more work than if you leave everything stock.

Remember that staying stock is not a guarantee of avoiding a blown engine. It possibly (probably???) reduces the risk. The only thing for certain is you have a better chance of Ford paying for an engine repair/replacement during your first 60k miles if its stock vs if it's not.

Reactions: E.E.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You say: "I don't really know too much about cars or anything like that"

Right off I would say a tune is NOT for you.
A tune requires a LOT of fiddling if you want it to be successful and not OMG I broke my motor!

SO right off without at least some car guy skills..
Forget a tune.

Then you worry about the warranty? Forget ANY mods.
I even went back to the stock filter.
Even BOV will void some warranty..
A Catch Can too.
Do you even know what those are?
This guy... I'm merely stating my interest in learning how to modify my car hence why I signed up to this forum. Everyone has to start somewhere. Thanks for the ****ty advice though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are inherent risks when making modifications to increase performance; heck there are even risks when making modifications to increase safety.

With that said, everyone who has a modified and/or tuned car, has done it for the first time at some point in the past. You shouldn't be afraid just because you haven't done it before.

If you modify your car and/or tune it, then you are going to want to have an understanding of how to monitor your car for good health and how to avoid putting undo stress on your engine. Truthfully you should learn about LSPI and how best to avoid those situations even if you aren't tuned.

I wouldn't be afraid to tune, just understand that it requires a little bit more work than if you leave everything stock.

Remember that staying stock is not a guarantee of avoiding a blown engine. It possibly (probably???) reduces the risk. The only thing for certain is you have a better chance of Ford paying for an engine repair/replacement during your first 60k miles if its stock vs if it's not.
Reason I asked was because I was looking into basic cobb or mountune mods and it looks pretty simple. Thanks for the encouragement man I understand that there is always a risk which is why I'm asking for advice before I attempt anything. The last thing I want to do is mess up my car.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There is a ton of useful and helpful people around here. There are also some that are let's say, less than helpful nor particularly polite in their responses. No real reason to be a prick about some things, but some just feel the need to for whatever reason. Perhaps it's kind of a hazing the new guy thing?!
In response to your question. We've had some folks blow stock motors as well as tuned motors. It's not "hard" to monitor the motor using the AP, it just requires you being vigilant about it. I had never tuned before and had my concerns as well. I've had my ST since 9/5/2016 and am currently at only 5200 miles, and have been tuned since around the 1400/1500 mile mark. I knew going in that I'm kissing my warranty goodbye, but guess I just don't care (yet). Pay to play! Biggest thing I try to remember (beyond monitoring the AP) is, don't lug the engine! Forget about the stock "shift" light, it's optimized for fuel economy and I feel it asks you to shift way too soon. I also try to forget that there is a 6th gear as well. Don't fear asking questions around here, that's what the forum is for!

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Reason I asked was because I was looking into basic cobb or mountune mods and it looks pretty simple. Thanks for the encouragement man I understand that there is always a risk which is why I'm asking for advice before I attempt anything. The last thing I want to do is mess up my car.
Bolt on mods aren't too difficult to install. Pretty much anyone can do it as long as you follow instructions and go slow, though there is one caveat....you need to have the tools. If you don't, then either get them or pay someone to install the parts. Trying to wrench on the car without the proper tools to do the job is not only frustrating but can be damaging.

Reactions: davesST

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Bolt on mods aren't too difficult to install. Pretty much anyone can do it as long as you follow instructions and go slow, though there is one caveat....you need to have the tools. If you don't, then either get them or pay someone to install the parts. Trying to wrench on the car without the proper tools to do the job is not only frustrating but can be damaging.
I concur, I too have not found performing bolt-on mods very difficult. Time consuming, but not difficult. And I'm an old-ish guy using jack stands & Rhino ramps.

·
Registered
825 Posts
This guy... I'm merely stating my interest in learning how to modify my car hence why I signed up to this forum. Everyone has to start somewhere. Thanks for the ****ty advice though.
Just call me Dan Downer. You know my sister, Debbie Downer...

You asked , and based on YOUR own words I gave what I thought was the right answer.
Seems you are ready to take the risk. No problem.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
HAHAHAA he ain't kiddin! :big smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
just stick with the 3/36K warrantied tunes like Mountune MP275 & FRP

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
you can buy a Cobb Accessport which has a basic tune pre-installed. It takes all of 5 minutes to tune it then and makes a big difference in torque and smoothness.
honestly, I would never recommend buying an Acessport directly from Cobb, while yes it does come with basic OTS tunes, you can pay the same amount and get the same tuning device form a reputable tuner (like Stratified) and they will include their own better tunes (on top of the device coming with the same Cobb tunes) and you can even pay a little extra if you would like to and get more options added on... *cough *cough loud engine crackles *cough

with that being said, while a lot of people will tune their cars as soon as they buy them, I personally would like to get a few miles on the car because if something is going to go wrong (like a screw up during manufacturing) it usually happens with in the first few thousands of miles (5k-15k) like how some of those Z06s (2 different generations) were blowing motors with under 10k on the car. I would let it get a few miles on the car to make sure its good and solid and by then, you will have a better understanding of how the car is and what about it you would like to change.

·
Registered
744 Posts
honestly, I would never recommend buying an Acessport directly from Cobb, while yes it does come with basic OTS tunes, you can pay the same amount and get the same tuning device form a reputable tuner (like Stratified) and they will include their own better tunes (on top of the device coming with the same Cobb tunes) and you can even pay a little extra if you would like to and get more options added on... *cough *cough loud engine crackles *cough

with that being said, while a lot of people will tune their cars as soon as they buy them, I personally would like to get a few miles on the car because if something is going to go wrong (like a screw up during manufacturing) it usually happens with in the first few thousands of miles (5k-15k) like how some of those Z06s (2 different generations) were blowing motors with under 10k on the car. I would let it get a few miles on the car to make sure its good and solid and by then, you will have a better understanding of how the car is and what about it you would like to change.
+1

I would suggest not tuning until you get at least a few thousand miles on your ST to make sure you don't have some sort of lemon. I also recommend going through Stratified because, as 1LoudST said, it's the same price for an Access Port and you get a much better OTS tune with some options like the cracks/pops, COBB traction control, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts