Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 14 st3 and immediately ordered the cobb stage 1 kit. But would it be safe to run the stage 2 tune for a short period of time?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm no expert on tuning compared to many on the forum but...... I personally would not run the stage 2 tune until I installed an upgraded intercooler. You aren't giving up much in power sticking with the stage 1. But you are taking some risk running the stage 2 without all the supporting mods. I ran stage 1 until installing my intercooler. The intercooler upgrade (any of the aftermarket brands.....Levels,Steeda,Mountune,Depo....) allowing consistent power is well worth the wait.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I wouldn't. I tried that when i was stage 1. Temps got crazy high and it had a lot of turbo flutter. Now that i have depos fmic the temps dont go up very often at most 10 degrees after a few pulls but drop down to ambient almost instantly. Plus only flutter now at low rpms

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
it looks like the guy who owned it before me did some upgrades to the car (air Filter, Mangnaflow cat back exhaust). im not looking to run it constantly, i was just wondering if it would hurt it if i did a few pulls on it... i read some where some guys were blowing off charge pipes on the tune, and i don't want to do that

·
Registered
344 Posts
it looks like the guy who owned it before me did some upgrades to the car (air Filter, Mangnaflow cat back exhaust). im not looking to run it constantly, i was just wondering if it would hurt it if i did a few pulls on it... i read some where some guys were blowing off charge pipes on the tune, and i don't want to do that
It's not advisable to do that. The temps will run hotter and you will inevitably be doing damage. If you don't mind damaging your engine and can afford a rebuild go nuts, but my guess is if you can't afford an I/C you can't afford an engine build. Just remember the engineers at COBB designed these packages for a reason, if you could run stage 2 on stage 1 mods they wouldn't have created a separate tune.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
don't you think there is a reason that Cobb broke up their tunes into three simple stages based on what upgrades you have made?

I sure wouldn't get in the habit of running a tune that was designed to have X and Y upgrades if I only had done upgrade X...

filter/intake is 1, FMIC is 2, and down pipe is 3. I'd stick to whats actually been done to the car.

i was just wondering if it would hurt it if i did a few pulls on it...
especially if you just want to do a "few" pulls. when I was doing my datalogs to have my tune refined on a 60° day, the intake temps shot up to just under 140° during a single 4th gear pull

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
you have never seen the stock FMIC have you? if you have you wouldn't be asking this question. look at your charge temps, they are way to HOT on a cold day to be running a stage X tune without a bigger FMIC. I honestly wouldn't tune til I had a FMIC, but that is just me and most would agree because the stock FMIC is a joke and hardly keeps the car cool on stock "tune"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts