Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question after bolt on mods is it safe to drive car w/o a tune now I am not talking heavy mods like intake exhaust bov the little stuff?

·
Registered
220 Posts
1st. Please type with correct grammar so we can have an idea what you are asking.
2nd. What little mods are you considering?

When it comes to modding you should always keep track and log what the engine is doing and even so when stock. You don't have to keep files of the logs, but have an understanding what is normal for your particular.

I am still new with this platform and the tuning aspect of this motor. Some mods can negatively impact you and positively impact you without a tune.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Sorry was typing quick on my phone. Small mods like intake,cat back exaust,bov.
With the ECU stock the car will just try to make it run like stock no matter the mods you put on. Most parts are useless without a tune.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Sorry was typing quick on my phone. Small mods like intake,cat back exaust,bov.
You do not need a tune to safely run the engine with any of the bolt ons you mentioned.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the impression that I was under as well. But other people have different opinions. I also was wondering because of codes that other members are having show up. I don't want that either I guess the only other question is at what point should u start running 93 octane in car? Dealship told me 87 is ok if driving stock?

·
Registered
660 Posts
That's the impression that I was under as well. But other people have different opinions. I also was wondering because of codes that other members are having show up. I don't want that either I guess the only other question is at what point should u start running 93 octane in car? Dealership told me 87 is ok if driving stock?
87 is fine stock. I personally only run 93.

None of those mods should through any codes. An aftermarket downpipe will most likely. But not intake, exhaust, FMIC, BOV.

·
Registered
387 Posts
You can run either 93, 91, or 87 on the stock tune. There is a slight power loss on 87, so you would want to run 93 (or 91) if you want the extra few horse power. No mod will increase the power on the stock tune, regardless of fueling. The stock tune uses torque targets which will shut down the power once it reaches them. These torque targets are easily hit on 91 gas.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm currently running with a Aftermarket intake and FMIC. Safe to drive and no code yet. Saving up for a Tune to get full potential of added mods.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick Question, I recently install COB CAI its properly intalled but the mounting point for the intake broke. The Screw broke off and got stuck in the hole.
What do i do lol? Cobb intakes are close to the fuel line of the care....

·
Registered
257 Posts
Quick Question, I recently install COB CAI its properly intalled but the mounting point for the intake broke. The Screw broke off and got stuck in the hole.
Get a Screw extractor and remove the broken screw from the hole. Sometimes it's a pain in the ass but it can be done. And when installing a new screw you can do what I did. I installed a small spacer that lift that part of the intake a little bit and then you get more clearence from the fuel line. Mine was actually rubbing pretty bad on the intake. I've also read other memebr have used zip ties to keep the fuel lines seperated from the intake.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Drill the broken bolt out and thread a slightly bigger one into the hole.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts