Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I want to remove it all and replace it with an aftermarket radio but want to still retain the wiring for the speakers. I know I'll lose all Sync and Nav which is fine as I'm not really a fan anyways. Is it possible?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like completely or just the ability to control it from the touchscreen? If it's the latter I would be fine with that as I never use the climate screen on the touchscreen.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Like completely or just the ability to control it from the touchscreen? If it's the latter I would be fine with that as I never use the climate screen on the touchscreen.
if it works like most other ford vehicles(F150 for example), the climate control will still function perfectly normal with out the radio in there, the radio basically just a remote control and display, the climate control module still retains full functionality.

the biggest obstacle you will face is a dash kit... the ones for the ST1 (only aftermarket adapter made) still has the space for the small screen above the radio.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly I really want to give one of the Android radios a go. I know it's a gamble but having it run Android (despite being Chinese crap) would be worth it in my eyes.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Honestly I really want to give one of the Android radios a go. I know it's a gamble but having it run Android (despite being Chinese crap) would be worth it in my eyes.
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you want here but have you tried using Android Auto on sync?? It's a little glitchy right now but I can only assume it will get better over time as more cars adopt it, being a Google product.

·
Registered
629 Posts
you can swap sync 3 in for a few hundred bucks if you buy parts from wrecked 2016/17+ fords. i bought all the parts for $250 and its just a direct swap 95% of the time. a lot of android headunits are cheaply made. not to mention if you remove the sync system, you lose 911 assist, you have to rewire the doors to get power from the headunit, and the sub wont work without an aftermarket amplifier and all the associated power/ground/rca runs.

·
Registered
629 Posts
because the doors are wired to the sony amp in the trunk. you'd have to either run an aftermarket amplifier in the trunk, or route that wiring to the front of the car to the headunit speaker outputs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yeah of course, an aftermarket amp was pretty much the plan all along. I'm more concerned about the Sony system being so too deeply integrated into the car that I lose functionality of other stuff. If I can't ditch the Sony completely the DSL-1 is my backup plan but I'd really rather have a completely different head unit.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
have you ever used a super cheap entry level android phone, you know with a crappy screen, a non responsive digitizer, and a slow processor?

if so how, enjoyable was it? add to that poorly designed GUI and ultra cheap audio components. over the years I have had many people bring in these Chinese android radios to put in and not once have a seen something that could be considered anywhere near good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The sync 2 system is garbage though. No apps, the navigation is horrendous, every source plays at different volumes... Everything about it is completely sub par.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The sync 2 system is garbage though. No apps, the navigation is horrendous, every source plays at different volumes... Everything about it is completely sub par.
So as Kranny said upgrade to the Sync 3 2.2 with Navigation or just use standard Sync 3 2.2 with Android Auto as suggested as well. Ford is releasing updates regularly.

How are this Chinese Android radios better? I've seen a few, Sync 3 is better. There is limited app support and that needs to improve but really what apps do you want?

You'll have a much better and cleaner sounding system with Sync 3 + Rockford DSR-1 and whatever high quality amp you use.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
have you ever used a super cheap entry level android phone, you know with a crappy screen, a non responsive digitizer, and a slow processor?

if so how, enjoyable was it? add to that poorly designed GUI and ultra cheap audio components. over the years I have had many people bring in these Chinese android radios to put in and not once have a seen something that could be considered anywhere near good.
Even Pioneer App Radio blows those things out of the water. But as you stated there are no aftermarket kits for the Sync cars just the basic Sync system cars (ST1). Honestly I don't miss having an aftermarket radio, Sync 3 does everything I need and even has the elusive playback feature for Sirius. Now if it showed more eye candy like Sirius station logos that would be great.

Did you know Sirius Mobile is supported by Sync 3?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay I appreciate the recommendations but we have strayed a little off topic. I get that people are going to have mixed reviews about the Android radios. What I want to know is if completely removing the Sony system will adversely affect other things in the car. I know the temperature quadrant will no longer exist, the 911 assist won't work, and the vehicle health report won't work but don't know if anything else will be affected. Pretty much I want to know if I gutted all the radio parts from the dash would my car still function. If it will then I can figure out what I'll replace it with.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The car will work fine with or with out the cm factory radio... Any parts of the infotainment system that you interface with through the radio you will lose. You will have to rewire a good part of the car.

The only part that I am unsure of is if the data commands(what turns the radio on and off) are exactly the same or not. I believe that while the Sony system sends a lot more information over the data bus (amp controls) I would think that the basic commands would be the same.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Basically I want to remove it all and replace it with an aftermarket radio but want to still retain the wiring for the speakers. I know I'll lose all Sync and Nav which is fine as I'm not really a fan anyways. Is it possible?
You ever figure it out? I’m in the same situation.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts