Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I occasionally want to lock my electronic key fob inside my car, but when I try, it unlocks. I'm going whitewater canoeing tomorrow and in the past I have locked the electronic remote inside my other cars and kept the metal key in my pocket. My car is an ST2 and doesn't have the touch pad on the outside (do ST3's?).

Is it possible to lock the fob inside while I go canoeing?

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I believe that when the prox key is inside, the car will not lock. Don't know that there is a way to overide this.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Can you have a window down lock the car reach in and hide the fob, then hit the auto up button on the window?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can you have a window down lock the car reach in and hide the fob, then hit the auto up button on the window?

You'll cut Power to windows when opening the door to leave.

Try this,
Auto unlock disabled, if equiped.
Locked the doors with the door mounted swich. It shouldn't pop the locks up because the door isn't ajar.

Pull the interior door handle to egress, then manually push down the lock plunger.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
I feel like I read somewhere that someone wrapped there's in aluminum foil and put in the compartment near the spare tire in the hatch. It was enough for the car to not recognize that there was a fob nearby.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Why don't you just remove the battery from the Fob then hide the key? Worked for me as I like to paddle a lot. Then when I'm ready to drive I just plug the battery back in. Works just fine and it'll allow you to lock the key in the car.

Reactions: c5karl

·
Registered
87 Posts
Why don't you just remove the battery from the Fob then hide the key? Worked for me as I like to paddle a lot. Then when I'm ready to drive I just plug the battery back in. Works just fine and it'll allow you to lock the key in the car.
This is a great answer, it definitely will accomplish what the OP is after

My car is an ST2 and doesn't have the touch pad on the outside (do ST3's?)
Yes, ST3's do have the touch pad

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
You'll cut Power to windows when opening the door to leave.

Try this,
Auto unlock disabled, if equiped.
Locked the doors with the door mounted swich. It shouldn't pop the locks up because the door isn't ajar.

Pull the interior door handle to egress, then manually push down the lock plunger.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
What lock plunger?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Perhaps I am mistaken. With the redesign, maybe they are gone in future versions.

They look like this.
It's been many years since that door panel has been in the Focus (ST's anyways)... no plungers

·
Registered
313 Posts
I believe you can lock the keys inside if you use the lock button on the fob to lock the doors and then shut the fob inside the car. Don't have my car with me to check though.

Check out this video:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
Why dont you take it with you? I kayak fish every chance i get and i just put it in a little bag and put it in my vest

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As far as the keypad goes, apparently it was available as an a-la-cart option, probably installed by the dealer. It was an external keypad that mounted on the door, $65 if I recall correctly. Now, apparently, it is some kind of light-up touch sensitive panel on the door in the B-pillar area which is part of the ST3 package? Is this correct? If you have this option, I still wonder how you can lock the keys in.

I will have to check the microprint in the owner's manual to see how to shut off the auto-unlock. I tried to do like some of the older posts on here suggested and the youtube video that I saw before I started this post, but my car reacted differently.

I ended up bringing a drybag that I put my key fob in, but every other car I've ever had I didn't have to do this. Of course, having that keyless fob in my pocket is well worth the occasional inconvenience of having to use a dry bag. On the plus side, our canoe did not flip over this time, we had a great time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
As far as the keypad goes, apparently it was available as an a-la-cart option, probably installed by the dealer. It was an external keypad that mounted on the door, $65 if I recall correctly. Now, apparently, it is some kind of light-up touch sensitive panel on the door in the B-pillar area which is part of the ST3 package? Is this correct? If you have this option, I still wonder how you can lock the keys in.

I will have to check the microprint in the owner's manual to see how to shut off the auto-unlock. I tried to do like some of the older posts on here suggested and the youtube video that I saw before I started this post, but my car reacted differently.

I ended up bringing a drybag that I put my key fob in, but every other car I've ever had I didn't have to do this. Of course, having that keyless fob in my pocket is well worth the occasional inconvenience of having to use a dry bag. On the plus side, our canoe did not flip over this time, we had a great time.
I have a 16 ST3, with the touch keypad on the door frame. I can lock my keys in my car. I put them in the cupholder, dont kow if it matters, and then Hold 7-8 9-0 at the same time and it locks the car. Then when I come back I just put in the code and it opens right up.

I use this feature almost daily when I run.

Reactions: screzzy

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have a 16 ST3, with the touch keypad on the door frame. I can lock my keys in my car. I put them in the cupholder, dont kow if it matters, and then Hold 7-8 9-0 at the same time and it locks the car. Then when I come back I just put in the code and it opens right up.

Thanks! I have the same year ST3, this is great to know.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts

I just picked up a new 2017 ST3. My current daily driver is 15 years old, and I am literally overwhelmed with the technology in this car. When I saw the door lock key panel integrated into the B pillar, I thought it seemed a bit useless, but if the car understands that I want to lock my key in the car and re-enter the car using the code- that is pretty awesome. I too am a runner, and usually run holding my keys so they are not annoying me, but this seems like an ideal solution, and now that feature I perceived as useless will be one of the most-used ones.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just picked up a new 2017 ST3. My current daily driver is 15 years old, and I am literally overwhelmed with the technology in this car. When I saw the door lock key panel integrated into the B pillar, I thought it seemed a bit useless, but if the car understands that I want to lock my key in the car and re-enter the car using the code- that is pretty awesome. I too am a runner, and usually run holding my keys so they are not annoying me, but this seems like an ideal solution, and now that feature I perceived as useless will be one of the most-used ones.
Yea I thought it was really dumb also until I finally figured out how to work it lol You can also change the door code, I have not done it, but I know it can be done. Thankfully the number pre-programmed for my car is easy to remember.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts