Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a Tial-Q exhale kit from CPE the other day. The weather has gotten colder and my cars currently tuned by Monster Tuning (91 oct). Prior to the install I was getting roughly 21lbs of boost but now I rarely get 20.5, normally in the 19 range.

Long story long, I used the old map sensor screw to plug off the symposer delete vacuum line. So the map tap is only seeded into the intake manifold by the O-ring and can be pulled out. I was wondering if you this very small leak could possible be from air being pushed out around the map tap or if it only effects the vacuum?

Obviously I could be leaking out of the new charge pipes but I've already double down on checking them this past weekend and got no different results.

(does anyone know the factory size of the map sensor screw?)

·
Super Moderator
8,929 Posts
Installed a Tial-Q exhale kit from CPE the other day. The weather has gotten colder and my cars currently tuned by Monster Tuning (91 oct). Prior to the install I was getting roughly 21lbs of boost but now I rarely get 20.5, normally in the 19 range.

Long story long, I used the old map sensor screw to plug off the symposer delete vacuum line. So the map tap is only seeded into the intake manifold by the O-ring and can be pulled out. I was wondering if you this very small leak could possible be from air being pushed out around the map tap or if it only effects the vacuum?

Obviously I could be leaking out of the new charge pipes but I've already double down on checking them this past weekend and got no different results.

(does anyone know the factory size of the map sensor screw?)
May not be a leak at all; colder temps = denser air = less boost needed to achieve power targets.

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST3
298 Posts
It's possible I guess if it wasn't sealed well, but the adapter they provide looks like it would do the job fine. I didn't use it with mine, I used the Symposer delete for the vacuum that I was using for my Boomba.

Reactions: Xemist

·
Super Moderator
8,929 Posts
Yeah I knew it could but roughly 2lbs? I'm not sure what's normal
Denser air could easily drop your boost by 2 pounds, or more.

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST3
298 Posts
If you're concerned about it, get a PVC pipe cap that will fit in the coupler on the turbo, a 2" should fit. Put a nipple on it to hook a vacuum hose to it or a tire stem, and then use something like a tire inflator with a gauge to slowly add pressure to the system to see if it holds 5 -10psi, if it is leaking from anywhere, you will hear it hissing where it is leaking from.

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,271 Posts
Do you currently have any DTC's?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Denser air could easily drop your boost by 2 pounds, or more.
Hmmm, I guess this is likely the culprit then. I just got this car about 2 months ago so I'm unfamiliar with how much the different temperatures effect boost. I also think I'm getting used to the powerband so it feels slower overall.

I'm still going to find the correct thread size for the map sensor and throw it in to see if it makes a difference, looking as though it wont be lol.

Appreciate the responses.

·
Super Moderator
8,929 Posts
Hmmm, I guess this is likely the culprit then. I just got this car about 2 months ago so I'm unfamiliar with how much the different temperatures effect boost. I also think I'm getting used to the powerband so it feels slower overall.

I'm still going to find the correct thread size for the map sensor and throw it in to see if it makes a difference, looking as though it wont be lol.

Appreciate the responses.
I would definitely get that sensor fastened properly; 20+ pounds of boost can blow that thing right out of there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts