Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title. I went out and took my up to a max speed run and I chickened out when my ST hit 133 mph (empty road in the wee hours of the morning). After about 110mph the tires just float.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Why not try actually driving the car? Why are you hitting 133mph on the streets of (somewhere in mexico)

I found the Eagles quite planted, especially in canyon driving, are your tires properly inflated?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have never been a big fan of goodyear tires, i sold tires for years and goodyears never seemed as good as some of the competition, but i do like my F1s from a performance stand point. They seem to stick pretty well, however are already cupping on the insides with less than 10,000 miles on them (rotated twice). So they are making a good deal of noise going down the road. Kinda sucks, i know its the nature of the beast with low profile tires but damn these took no time to start wearing unevenly. Will probably go with michelins next

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hate to break it to ya, but....

Honest answer - it's you.

The F1 is not the best tire but it certainly *is not* garbage. Just because it may not meet the needs/demands you are putting on them doesn't make them garbage. If you intend to do actions in your ST that 'overcome' the capabilities of the Goodyears it's on you to find a better tire. OEM specs are attempting to fill so many demands to an enormous spectrum of customers, of course some will find the shortcomings - that's why the *aftermarket* exists.

Don't take this the wrong way, go like mad and hoon away in your ST :RockOn:(I do sometimes do too) but realize if you push the part(s) past its design limit its on you. I had mine over 140 a couple weeks back on a loooong 2-lane bridge (with *no* traffic) and I thought the F1s did fine - for stock supplied rubber, especially with all the damn expansions joints in this bridge, the car was practically hopping and the F1s kept it planted; FWIW would *not* do again, stock suspenders were not built for that speed and those road conditions.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I actually really like the F1s.

My favorite aspect is the super quick turn in and response. Plus, they're quiet, better than average in the wet and they wear well.

There's really nothing I don't like about them. For a street summer tire, they really let you do a lot (certainly more than you should be doing on the street) and they're super livable without any glaring negatives.

Can't' say I know what they feel like at 130 on a road though.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My last two cars had what I would deem terrible tires. The Gen Coupe had Bridgestone Potenza RE050As, which had plenty of grip but were loud and harsh (though to be fair, that car's whole suspension was harsh). My Veloster Turbo had Kumho Solus KH25s, which were the exact opposite. They were quiet and soft-riding, but had all the traction of a freshly laid cowflop.

The Eagle F1s on the FoST are pretty freakin' fantastic by comparison to either of those - not too noisy or rough-riding, lots of grip and when they do slip, it's nice and gradual.

·
Registered
797 Posts
When you're going that fast, it's not the Tires that are floating, it's the aerodynamics of the car. You're in a Focus, not in a McLaren, what do you expect?

Want it to not be floaty? Get a real, functional spitter, angle that down, get an aftermarket wing, angle it down, get some canards, angle it down. It might create drag, but at least you won't fly off the road.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I really didn't have any complains about the stock tires either. I was due to replace them and it was a tossup between going with them again, pilot super sports, or the pss replacements coming out this year.

I did have them up to higher speeds once or twice and they felt fine there too, but those were super smooth roads.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I actually really like the F1s.

My favorite aspect is the super quick turn in and response. Plus, they're quiet, better than average in the wet and they wear well.

There's really nothing I don't like about them. For a street summer tire, they really let you do a lot (certainly more than you should be doing on the street) and they're super livable without any glaring negatives.

Can't' say I know what they feel like at 130 on a road though.
This is literally the exact opposite of what I think. Funny how two people can be so far off. Probably how alot of problems in the world start lol

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
This is literally the exact opposite of what I think. Funny how two people can be so far off. Probably how alot of problems in the world start lol
What tires have you switched to that you prefer?

And what kind of driving do you do on them?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
What tires have you switched to that you prefer?

And what kind of driving do you do on them?
I have the AS3's and I like them much better. Most of my driving is spirited back roads with tons of twists. But there is also some bumps and the weather is often not ideal for summer tires. If I had different conditions I might feel the opposite.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just make sure you rotate the F1's often. Though I had a bearing going out in the rear. Noise got progressively louder. Turned out to be the tires from not rotating.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts