Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the purpose of a tune, but if you're only replacing the intake, exhaust and downpipe and using 91 octane, is there a necessity for a tune if you don't plan on upgrading anything else? Thanks for your help as always peoples!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Is it necessary, no. However without a tune you would be getting almost no Advantage from any of those parts as the OEM calibration is so mild and only tries to hit a certain power Target and then doesn't try to make any more power. If you're going to go through the trouble of putting all the parts on the car, it would be a ridiculous waste not to have a tune put on the car.

Also I highly recommend doing a front-mounted intercooler before doing a downpipe.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input Loud! What's your input exprience with the popular tuners? COBB, Stratisfied, Mountune.....

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Thanks for your input Loud! What's your input exprience with the popular tuners? COBB, Stratisfied, Mountune.....
So you can buy an AP3 for Cobb with their standard canned tuned on it, or for the sake price, you can but an AP3 from stratified for the same price, which includes this same canned Cobb tunes but you also get a Stratified tune in used, you can also pay more for added options. So. It would be silly to get the AP3 through Cobb and not a tuner like stratified. The mountune is like a limited version of the AP3.

Personally I highly recommend going with stratified, that's what I did and I got most of the options added on :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet, thanks a ton. I've tried to avoid modifying my '17 ST, but the fan base and market are so huge. There are a few other lightly modifed ST's in the Phoenix Metro area that I see regularly and they sound and look great.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
As far as upgrade path from what i have saw most do the Green or red filter, Intercooler and DP... the exhaust is mostly for sound.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I second the recommendation for Stratified. The guys over there no more than anyone else about this platform and they are awesome. Plus, they can totally transform your car with ease.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I started out with the AP and a Strat tune because that's kind of a no brainer for the price and a great place to start. I went ahead and tried a FSWERKS tune because here in Cali we only have 91 oct and I figured who would know 91 oct tunes better than someone who deals with our crappy Cali gas than a tuner from Cali. I'm very happy with the tune and may bump it up to a 93 oct tune now that I've discovered Torco Octane Booster.

I would definitely upgrade the FMIC to take advantage of your other parts though, especially in your AZ heat.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
jst-performance!! Free revisions as long as they aren't needed because of adding something new. Brian will really get you dialed in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't like messing with airflow in or out without a tune adjustment. Torrie has been very quick and good to work with from Unleashed. Ordered my 2 tunes on a Sunday and had them that night. Now from a 40 roll I break traction in 3rd. The price is very reasonable as well. Most topics I've seen on here many others recommend unleashed as well.

'14 ST TB/Roush CAI/SCT X4 Unleashed 93

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
@medwards29 sounds like you need some Michelin Pilot Sport 4s's and you're good to go :cool:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I really wanted to tune my 17 as well but for the sake of any warranty issue on engine or tranny, I decided to wait a while. In the meantime I am only modding less expensive parts that I can afford to fix or replace regardless of warranty. Like suspension, swaybars/trackbars, air filter/intake, exhaust, fmic, etc... Gonna add a rear motor mount too but hear that can cause warranty issue. I would just change that back to stock before taking to dealer if I were worried about that.
Once I'm around 25,000 miles I'll go with a tune and add a downpipe. I'll be using JST Performance.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Hey guys! Julian from Vivid Racing, to answer your question yes it is very smart to do a tune and needed for your Focus ST. After an upgrade, because after you change all those parts your car will be running the same so that's not good for instants it will run lean because the air and fuel ratio is not the same with aftermarket parts. It is less restricted with aftermarket parts and down the road, if you don't tune it you could come to problems with your car. Vivid Racing has any parts for the Focus ST we are the top growing company for The focus ST we sell tunes and even have our own VR tune! Take a look at it and tell me what you think I saw you asking about the tunes so I decided to give you a suggestion!

Click VR Tune
https://www.vividracing.com/catalog...tune-ford-focus-20l-ecoboost-p-150883461.html

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sweet, thanks a ton. I've tried to avoid modifying my '17 ST, but the fan base and market are so huge. There are a few other lightly modifed ST's in the Phoenix Metro area that I see regularly and they sound and look great.
There’s more than a few here in Phoenix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: o0utka5t82

·
Registered
43 Posts
AP3 with stratified OTS tunes are the best bang for your buck and should be the first mod for those looking to improve power.

·
Registered
530 Posts
As everyone said, you don't need it, you just won't get any gains and you might even lose power. Wit a dp I'd strongly suggest a tune because your O2 sensors are probably really confusing the ecu

Reactions: o0utka5t82

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
AP3 with stratified OTS tunes are the best bang for your buck and should be the first mod for those looking to improve power.
I think you meant "flash tunes" not OTS tunes :) Stratified tunes are considerably better than OTS tunes you'd find from say COBB. They make sure to take into affect each individual mod you have on your car and adjust accordingly.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I think you meant "flash tunes" not OTS tunes :) Stratified tunes are considerably better than OTS tunes you'd find from say COBB. They make sure to take into affect each individual mod you have on your car and adjust accordingly.
Yes, this. The only time to run an OTS COBB tune is while waiting for a new tune file/revision from Stratified or any other reputable tuner. I ran the OTS COBB Stage 3 tune while Stratified was making mine, and the car sucked with the COBB Stage 3. I was getting better performance with the basic/stock Stratified flash tune.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts