Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have had an internal discussion in my head regarding if the ST/RS are the quickest, or fastest cars on tight backroads. I have driven Corvette's, Porsche GT3's, etc. These cars are no doubt really fast cars. But as far as a backroad car goes, I really believe that there is nothing faster than a Focus on a backroad. I have the Ford performance calibration on my ST, and it just makes the car haul on a backroad unlike anything I have driven. I think the main reason for this feeling is because it is a small and light car, and also I think you can use ALL of the power in most situation, whereas in a high performance car like a Vette, you can't unless if you want to end up in the trees. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Ok, so I have had an internal discussion in my head regarding if the ST/RS are the quickest, or fastest cars on tight backroads. I have driven Corvette's, Porsche GT3's, etc. These cars are no doubt really fast cars. But as far as a backroad car goes, I really believe that there is nothing faster than a Focus on a backroad. I have the Ford performance calibration on my ST, and it just makes the car haul on a backroad unlike anything I have driven. I think the main reason for this feeling is because it is a small and light car, and also I think you can use ALL of the power in most situation, whereas in a high performance car like a Vette, you can't unless if you want to end up in the trees. What do you guys think?
Its fun on backroads, but not the fastest. I think the FiST can really whip around with the weight to power ratio.

Still, extremely fun no matter what.

·
Registered
479 Posts
You're not crazy for thinking that. It will rip the back roads. Had a guy in a Challenger trying to pull away from me on some back roads and he had no success, unsurprisingly. I owned a Porsche 911 for a few years, it was pretty mean on the back roads, it'd be interesting to have a way to time trial the two through a certain stretch, as the 996 was rated 296 hp at the crank, and I'm guessing my Focus with stage 3 and Stratified 93 octane tune is likely similar in hp.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
6 Posts
It's really probably not the fastest, but if it feels fast and your have a big smile, who cares?:LOL:(y)🍻

Focusing too much on numbers can suck the enjoyment out of life.

My son has an aging Charger 5.7 R/T and really likes the way the ST takes off. 🙂

I really liked older 2.5 M/T Subarus for feel and sound on twisties.

I just can't get into paddle shifters. Too much like a video game, and I don't care for those much. They are probably faster at this point, though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think you shouldn't spend too much time in your own head, but I also agree it's a blast in the twisties.
The ease of lift-off oversteer in an ST should make a believer out of most....it handles more like a mid-engine than FWD. crazy.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think you shouldn't spend too much time in your own head, but I also agree it's a blast in the twisties.
The ease of lift-off oversteer in an ST should make a believer out of most....it handles more like a mid-engine than FWD. crazy.

This is what I'm still wrapping my head around, coming from a new edge mustang GT. Yeah, torque steer makes me miss RWD, but I'm shocked at how this thing handles and how easy it is to toss the back end around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts