Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit Obligatory STOP topping up if you don't need to right now, Bozo.

I am asking this in earnest because I'm not exactly sure how fuel supplies work. Is the gasoline just one product mixed with booster products and dispensed with the octane selected? or is 93 octane a different product delivered to the gas station? (vs 87 or 91)

People in NC are going nuts for gas right now due to current events. Basically, is all gas equally at risk to being snapped up?

·
Super Moderator
1,699 Posts
I am asking this in earnest because I'm not exactly sure how fuel supplies work. Is the gasoline just one product mixed with booster products and dispensed with the octane selected? or is 93 octane a different product delivered to the gas station? (vs 87 or 91)

People in NC are going nuts for gas right now due to current events. Basically, is all gas equally at risk to being snapped up?
It's different. They do use Ethanol to boost the octane, but inside a tanker truck, each octane gasoline is in a segmented section, separate from the others.

Detergents are added by the fuel station after the truck deposits the fuel, but the additives are mainly just for cleaning agents.

Unfortunately, people will swallow up 93 as much as 87, if 87 runs out. Your standard commuter car doesn't care if it's 87 or 93, it will still work. People down south really need to chill right now. It's causing a chain reaction in the country.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,493 Posts
People down south really need to chill right now. It's causing a chain reaction in the country.
No kidding, but these are the same emotionally-driven retards who were buying cases of toilet paper, cases of water, and thousands of Lysol wipes less than a year ago... You think they're going to stop now?

·
Super Moderator
1,699 Posts
No kidding, but these are the same emotionally-driven retards who were buying cases of toilet paper, cases of water, and thousands of Lysol wipes less than a year ago... You think they're going to stop now?
Told my wife the same thing. Media hype/Social Media is heavily fomenting this as well.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,733 Posts
So if you're aggressively tuned for 90+, better be ready to flash back to stock if all you find is 87.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Around here its the ****sticks filling up there boats. 4 last night at QT at 11pm on my way in to work last night stopping to get my coffee.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Central VA:
The sams i normally get my 93 was completely out when I got there this afternoon at 4 pm. I asked the gas station attendant, he estimated that they'd be out of 87 in 3 hours at the current depletion rate.
Gas stations up and down the road were completely sold out.

Ended up waiting 45 minutes and had to reverse into a pump because I'm not draping the hose over my roof. Idiots had the lines all janked up too I was in the normal right hand gas cap side but people had turned around to try to zip in there.
93 was 3.01 3 days ago at that sams
The kroger i got the 93 at was 3.75.
Gross

·
Super Moderator
1,699 Posts
Central VA:
The sams i normally get my 93 was completely out when I got there this afternoon at 4 pm. I asked the gas station attendant, he estimated that they'd be out of 87 in 3 hours at the current depletion rate.
Gas stations up and down the road were completely sold out.

Ended up waiting 45 minutes and had to reverse into a pump because I'm not draping the hose over my roof. Idiots had the lines all janked up too I was in the normal right hand gas cap side but people had turned around to try to zip in there.
93 was 3.01 3 days ago at that sams
The kroger i got the 93 at was 3.75.
Gross
I saw out of all the states, VA is panic buying the most.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
I saw out of all the states, VA is panic buying the most.
I can agree with that. Was thinking, you all need to chill. I just need gas to get home. Lol
Tire Wheel Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
That right there is some bull.
We have all sorts of crazy shiz going down here. Lol.
Pictures from the local bad drivers page:
Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive exterior

Food Ingredient Fluid Recipe Cuisine

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Vehicle

One of our local ST guys saw a dude filling up one of those 55 gal drums on the ground..... wondering how he's gonna get it back on the truck, all 330lbs of it. Lolol

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
809 Posts
wonder how E85 will go. if only full ethanol was a possibility

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Registered
478 Posts
There should be DOT and state troopers doing inspections. Dispensing gasoline/flammables into containers not DOT approved, bigger tanks not approved, no DOT required placards, no hazmat and tanker endorsement. Throw the book at them.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,733 Posts
There should be DOT and state troopers doing inspections. Dispensing gasoline/flammables into containers not DOT approved, bigger tanks not approved, no DOT required placards, no hazmat and tanker endorsement. Throw the book at them.
Yes. This.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I live in North Alabama. I, fortunately, filled up 2 days ago because I actually needed gas (I was on like 15 miles estimated range... I start getting antsy at 100 miles). My trip home yesterday was stopped at least 3 times by cars lined up so far at gas stations that they spilled back onto the main road. My35 minute trip home took over an hour cause of these folks.

Sad part is, there likely wouldn't be a panic if regular people like me and my wife weren't forced to fill up our tanks while there is still fuel left so that we can get to work and back. Maybe I can use this as an excuse to WFH for a couple of days...

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
NC and VA seem to be hardest hit. I'm WFH more this week as a result. Just under half a tank, but needle seems to drop quicker on the bottom half than the top half.

·
Registered
509 Posts
In Raleigh there are lines backed up a block or more.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,056 Posts
Reactions: Skykri
1 - 20 of 41 Posts