Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RS is on its way to the dealer and should be here later this week. I am traveling 1000 miles to pick it up and am torn about what to do with my ST. I sent the dealer all the specs / mods and mileage for my ST and they said they would be able to give me $18,000 for it as a trade. I figure if i sell it on my own i'd list it for $20-21K but would likely end up only getting 19,500 or so for it so after the tax break for the trade it seems like a pretty fare deal for a trade. Anyone else have any experience selling or trading an ST? If so what would you expect a MY15, ST3 with 21,000 miles on it to pull in private party vs trade?

I will be registering the RS in FL where tax is 6% so trade in at 18K saves me $1080 right off the bat.

My ST is Race Red
Borla exhaust
mountune clubsport suspension
ford racing short throw shifter
JL Audio speakers replaced all sony speakers

Thanks for any input you can provide.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Damn socal to Florida.... that'll be a fun drive back haha

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
Could always hard ball and say someone offered you 19,500 and ask if the dealer can work you closer to 19,000 so the dealer gets the car to make profit instead of "someone else." Might be able to nudge them up a little. If not then @nickbaldwin86 is basically in the same boat as me with his response.

Edit: Plus, trade in saves you 1k anyway...so you're only taking a 1-2k hit at the most trading it in.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Selling a vehicle is always a hassle....you'll get some pimply faced kid who wants an ST but has no money and will ask you to finance it for him and he'll pay you $200 / month, or some variation on that. Trade it in, take the relatively small hit, and move on.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
If anything I would consider you lucky they are offering you that much. I was amazed to find out that my dealer bought my car for 19k when the guy traded it back in. However, he is a long time friend of the dealer who was buying a Whipple SC'd Mustang off of their showroom floor less than a year and a half from buying the car from them. When I found that out though I hit them with an offer 2100 below what they were asking and they were kinda stuck and said yes.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Selling a vehicle is always a hassle....you'll get some pimply faced kid who wants an ST but has no money and will ask you to finance it for him and he'll pay you $200 / month, or some variation on that. Trade it in, take the relatively small hit, and move on.
What this guy said.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
When you trade a vehicle in that vehicles value applies towards the net price of the vehicle.

You only pay tax on the net price of the new vehicle.
Ahh, sales tax. That makes a lot of sense and is certainly worth folding into the equation.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It should be pointed out that most states allow you to claim said tax credit even if you don't trade. It's just more convenient as a dealer trade since it's all in a single transaction.

In MO, you have 180 days to do this.

So for example I can buy a brand new Ford for $20k today and pay the taxes on it. Then sell my other car privately 3 months later at $10k. I can take the bill of sale to the DMV and get a credit on the sale price difference. In this case I'd get a check from the state for assessed taxes on $10k.

·
Registered
299 Posts
18k seems ok. You're not really in an advantageous position to negotiate being that your RS is ordered. I kicked the tires on a Tacoma TRD Off Road a couple of weeks ago and got the dealer to go up to 21k on my ST (2015 w/ 11k miles).

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
18k seems ok. You're not really in an advantageous position to negotiate being that your RS is ordered. I kicked the tires on a Tacoma TRD Off Road a couple of weeks ago and got the dealer to go up to 21k on my ST (2015 w/ 11k miles).
Really nice trucks, and great trade in price! That's enough to get some ST1s that are 2016s after rebate.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
IMO if you're happy with the final numbers then it's a great deal & never look back. Nice that you don't have to register in CA - so let the modding begin!

·
Registered
299 Posts
lol I know the trade value was great, just some of the things I've been reading on TacomaWorld forums about the 3rd gens are ****ty.

Back on topic, if you have leverage the value CAN go up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It should be pointed out that most states allow you to claim said tax credit even if you don't trade. It's just more convenient as a dealer trade since it's all in a single transaction.

In MO, you have 180 days to do this.

So for example I can buy a brand new Ford for $20k today and pay the taxes on it. Then sell my other car privately 3 months later at $10k. I can take the bill of sale to the DMV and get a credit on the sale price difference. In this case I'd get a check from the state for assessed taxes on $10k.
Really? I didn't know you could do that. All these years I may have been losing money... I just did some searching on google and couldn't find anything for my state. I hate to ask, but how or what should I search to better find this for my state (NC)? I am currently debating trading vs. selling my current car to get a ST and this would greatly help if I do choose to private party my current car and could still get a tax credit.

Thanks in advance!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts