Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Just picked up a 2014 PB ST1. I wanted the higher trim level, but found the Recaro’s insanely uncomfortable so went with the ST1. I know it has a Roush exhaust and CAI as well as the symposer delete and a Boomba short shifter kit. Pretty sure the intercooler is still stock though and it didn’t come with an A/P. It seems that the Cobb A/P and intercooler are the first/most important upgrades. My first question is it worth it to get a whole intercooler kit with piping or can I get away with just the intercooler since I’m not going for crazy high power. The price difference is substantial. It seems the hoses/pipes are the same price as the intercooler itself! Also, I wouldn’t mind getting a used A/P but how can you verify it’s unmarried before buying?

·
Super Moderator
11,795 Posts
Just get an intercooler; charge pipes are not needed.

Make sure who ever you purchase the AccessPort from can provide a picture of the screen showing that it is ready to install.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
2,038 Posts
Congrats on the purchase and welcome aboard. When you have a few minutes, do a little research on LSPI (low speed pre-ignition) and the relatively easy steps to avoid it. Your motor will thank you for it.

Regarding the intercooler/charge pipes question, just get an intercooler. The stock turbo doesn't push enough air to warrant a charge pipe upgrade. Heck, I'm running a 2867 and am still on the stock charge pipes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats on the purchase and welcome aboard. When you have a few minutes, do a little research on LSPI (low speed pre-ignition) and the relatively easy steps to avoid it. Your motor will thank you for it.

Regarding the intercooler/charge pipes question, just get an intercooler. The stock turbo doesn't push enough air to warrant a charge pipe upgrade. Heck, I'm running a 2867 and am still on the stock charge pipes.

Awesome. That’s what I was hoping for. I read somewhere else on here than an aftermarket CAI can actually hurt the power. Is that actually true?

·
Super Moderator
2,038 Posts
Awesome. That’s what I was hoping for. I read somewhere else on here than an aftermarket CAI can actually hurt the power. Is that actually true?
It depends... if it's an intake which makes the filter open to the under-hood hot air, then it'll definitely hurt performance... You'll hear the turbo more since the end of the filter isn't sealed in the airbox and the sound can escape, but it's kinda silly to prioritize hearing the turbo just to lose performance...

I'll say it... Open air filter elements are the equivalent of putting a fart can on the intake, IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: MtnMan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It depends... if it's an intake which makes the filter open to the under-hood hot air, then it'll definitely hurt performance... You'll hear the turbo more since the end of the filter isn't sealed in the airbox and the sound can escape, but it's kinda silly to prioritize hearing the turbo just to lose performance...

I'll say it... Open air filter elements are the equivalent of putting a fart can on the intake, IMO.
Well shiiiiit… that’s good to know. So mine is def open. I’ll have to find a top for the air box I guess.

·
Registered
2013 Focus ST3
92 Posts
Does the OEM RS filter box fall into this category? They have that honeycomb open part to the front of the box but it has "weather stripping" (or whatever) that seals to the hood.

·
Super Moderator
2,038 Posts
You'll need one of these:
CV6Z-9661-A
and 4 of these:
W714941-S901

As to the RS airbox... yeah, it "seals" the top of it to the hood, but it is open on the front side of the box so it can pull in under-hood air. IMO, it's not a good design.

for instance.. RS Airbox? Worth it?

Specifically see this post: RS Airbox? Worth it?

Reactions: FocusST3Dad

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does the OEM RS filter box fall into this category? They have that honeycomb open part to the front of the box but it has "weather stripping" (or whatever) that seals to the hood.
Well… according to the logic, as long as it’s not getting the air from under the hood, it’s ok. That’s probably the reason for the weather stripping seal on the top… I’m def a noob though so I could very well be wrong

·
Super Moderator
2,038 Posts
Well… according to the logic, as long as it’s not getting the air from under the hood, it’s ok. That’s probably the reason for the weather stripping seal on the top… I’m def a noob though so I could very well be wrong
Yeah, but unfortunately it does... it's not just open on the top, but on the front side as well, so it pulls in lots of hot under-hood air. See the first link to the pic above where it says "for instance..."

·
Registered
2013 Focus ST3
92 Posts
You'll need one of these:
CV6Z-9661-A
and 4 of these:
W714941-S901

As to the RS airbox... yeah, it "seals" the top of it to the hood, but it is open on the front side of the box so it can pull in under-hood air. IMO, it's not a good design.

for instance.. RS Airbox? Worth it?

Specifically see this post: RS Airbox? Worth it?
That's very helpful.. thank you!

·
Registered
63 Posts

Here's another good choice for intercoolers. Jimmy is a great guy and the intercooler is a direct fit. Very easy to install and I've had no problems with it in the last 2 years.

No need to spend extra money on the intercooler with stock turbo, unless you're going for big power increases with a bigger turbo (big turbo MAY (but definitely not neccessary) benefit from a larger size intercooler).

EDIT:

I do not have the knowledge on upgraded turbos on our platform.

Thank you rob99rt for your comment, I will put an emphasis on may as to not lead others to believe that bigger intercoolers are neccessary for upgraded turbos!

·
Super Moderator
2,038 Posts

Here's another good choice for intercoolers. Jimmy is a great guy and the intercooler is a direct fit. Very easy to install and I've had no problems with it in the last 2 years.

No need to spend extra money on the intercooler with stock turbo, unless you're going for big power increases with a bigger turbo (big turbo may benefit from a larger size intercooler).
I have an ESP as well and it's worked just fine with both the stock and 2867 turbo. Temps on a 3rd gear pull only go up 3-4 degrees.

Reactions: eShifty

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, but unfortunately it does... it's not just open on the top, but on the front side as well, so it pulls in lots of hot under-hood air. See the first link to the pic above where it says "for instance..."
Totally makes sense. I just assumed the front opening was getting fresh air from in front of the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Ha! And here I thought I must have had an aftermarket BOV cause my turbo noise is so loud.

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST2
271 Posts
Welcome!

Do that to the stock airbox with AEM dry flow filter. As for charge pipes, I would give depo a look if you’re on a budget. I was going to stick with stock pipes, but decided to give them a shot, and have been very impressed with the quality for the money (220$ shipped new).

Next up I would do a RMM.

hope this helps

1 - 20 of 21 Posts