Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Vendor
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Performance. Sound. Fitment. Options. All perfectly in focus. Presenting the AWE Ford Mk3 Focus ST Exhaust Suite:

• All of the hot hatch tone with zero drone
  • Available as sophisticated Touring Edition, or unleashed Track Edition
  • Proudly designed, engineered, and manufactured in-house, in the U.S.A
  • Max gains of 7 hp and 12 ft-lbs of torque to the crank (both Touring and Track Editions)
  • Touring Edition features AWE’s proprietary drone-canceling solution, 180 Technology®
  • Touring Edition available as resonated and non-resonated
  • Handcrafted out of 3” U.S.-sourced .068” wall T304L stainless steel
  • 4” double-walled tips available in chrome silver or diamond black
  • Less is more: clean, non-baffled, straight-through design maximizes performance
  • Direct bolt-on system for factory-like simplicity
  • No Check Engine Light - Guaranteed
  • Perfect Fitment - Guaranteed
  • Featuring the AWE Lifetime Exhaust Warranty
The Options:

Touring Edition Cat-back Exhaust

[note: the AWE video features the Resonated Touring Edition Exhaust, and the CJ video features the Non-Resonated Touring Edition Exhaust]

The Mk3 Focus ST Touring Edition Exhaust brings it when you’re ready, but is refined and sophisticated for around town cruising. A direct bolt-on, straight-through, drone-free masterpiece. Available as resonated or non-resonated, the Touring Edition Exhaust boasts AWE’s proprietary drone-canceling solution, 180 Technology®, producing a drone-free, aggressive tone throughout the entire range.

Sound Perfection: AWE Tuning 180 Technology®:

Perfect tone, compliments of AWE Tuning 180 Technology®.

As exhaust gases exit the ST’s 2.0T engine and flow into an AWE Tuning 180 Technology® equipped resonator, they pass through strategically located ports, and into reflection chambers. Sound waves, carried by these exhaust gasses, bounce off the walls of the reflection chambers. By controlling the size and location of the ports and the chambers, we also control when the sound waves exit the chambers. The specific timing of when the reflected sound waves rejoin the main exhaust flow creates a one-hundred-and-eighty-degree out-of-phase sound wave that cancels out problematic frequencies. More on AWE Tuning 180 Technology® in the tab above.

Track Edition Cat-back Exhaust

If raw and rowdy are your speed, the Track Edition is your dose of steel. The rowdiest of the lot, the Track Edition Exhaust retains all the engineering and precision of the Touring Edition, minus AWE’s proprietary drone-canceling solution, 180 Technology®. All with full 3” diameter configuration.

This versions is known to get rowdy in the mid range, and may be too much for many. For that reason, this particular version cannot be returned due to sound preference. Prepare yourself.

Comparison - Touring Edition vs Track Edition:

Tip Options:

All tip options include the AWE logo and double walling to ensure a mirror finish even under hard usage. All tips are individually adjustable, allowing depth into the bumper to be set according to personal taste.

• 4” slash-cut chrome silver tips
  • 4” slash-cut diamond black tips

Data:

Questions? Hit me here or direct via email

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well today is the day I finally get to write a review about the AWE Focus ST catback exhaust.

Now AWE has always been making performance products for euro spec type cars (Porsche, Audi, McLaren, BMW, etc). Well now they have started engineering and manufacturing for the domestic car markets, starting with the S500 ('15-'18) Ford Mustang exhausts. Now they have entered the Focus ST and RS markets with a variety of catback exhausts, and we know there's no reason to not be pumped about it.

When AWE was looking for a Focus ST to use for R&D I messaged a guy named Josh Davis. We got to talking and about a week later my 2016 Focus ST was sitting at AWE state-of-the-art facility in Horsham, PA. My wife and I got to see AWE's facility and it's really awesome to know all of their exhausts are handcrafted right there from start to finish (USA! USA!). Josh was great with communicating to me about the car (my car never sees a shop let alone a manufacturing/r&d facility), and would let me know that they didn't like this one exhaust they tried or they liked this but are gonna try something else to see if they can make it sound better and perform better.

Some background: my car had an MBRP 3" catback exhaust on it when it was brought there. Now I actually liked the MBRP because I could hear the car when it started and it was there when I revved it. The MBRP did drone at certain rpms. As soon as I got my car back from AWE I immediately noticed the drone was gone and the sound was more aggressive yet refined. AWE deployed their proprietary drone solution, 180Technology, that eliminates the drone and fine tunes the acoustics (you can really hear the turbo spool). I was told by Josh that when they put the car on the dyno they were a little shocked to see the car made 280fwhp with just the exhaust and a turbosmart bov on their Mustang dyno. No I do not have a Cobb tuner or any tuner on the car.

AWE made a couple versions of the catback exhaust. The Touring and Track. The touring, which I have on my car, sounds like the focus should. Not loud at idle, but you know the car is there, little louder when cruising, but ABSOLUTELY zero drone, and when you want to get on it, you know it's there. I can not complain about this exhaust because my 2yr old son falls asleep in his car seat while cruising at highway speeds.

Now I've never really done a review before, well publicly like this so I'm probably missing stuff, but if you have any questions about the exhaust please ask me and I'll try to give my best answer.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
So are you saying it's louder than the MBRP? Could you describe "more aggressive but refined"? Also, do you have the resonated or non-resonated version? I had the MBRP, and liked it with the exception of the boominess upon acceleration & de-cceleration.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So are you saying it's louder than the MBRP? Could you describe "more aggressive but refined"? Also, do you have the resonated or non-resonated version? I had the MBRP, and liked it with the exception of the boominess upon acceleration & de-cceleration.

This is the mbrp I had. It was a nice sound but isn't as aggressive as the awe and no drone with the awe. For the price of the mbrp it's worth it but you get what you pay for. Fitment wasn't the best either for the mbrp as sometimes the over axle pipe would hit every so often.

I have the nonresonated version and I love it as well as my 2 yr old

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
I dumped my MBRP earlier this summer and replaced it with a Mountune. The Mountune is far too quiet. Have you heard the sound clips for the AWE on CJ Ponyparts? The touring system sounds pretty loud, was curious if you believe the clip is accurate?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I dumped my MBRP earlier this summer and replaced it with a Mountune. The Mountune is far too quiet. Have you heard the sound clips for the AWE on CJ Ponyparts? The touring system sounds pretty loud, was curious if you believe the clip is accurate?
I don't believe there clip is accurate at all. I've had mine on for about a month and a half now and it is not as loud as the cj video.

·
Vendor
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take note the system heard in the AWE video is resonated, and the system heard in the CJ video is non-resonated. Also take into account the distance between the camera and the car in the beginning sound clips of the CJ video as I believe the mic was a bit overwhelmed with the close distances.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm really leaning towards getting the Touring model. I'm putting my 3" catted DP on soon. Just don't want a really loud & obnoxious sound. That MBRP got pretty crazy, which I imagine would only have gotten more so with a DP upgrade.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Well, I'm going to see how it goes. I just pulled the trigger on the non-resonated Touring system. The clips from the inside sound really nice. I pretty much am not too concerned with how it sounds on the outside (if you know what I mean), as I'm the one driving!!! This will be the 4th different catback that I'll have tried on my FoST (that is if you count the stock unit). I'm hoping this one will be gold!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, I'm going to see how it goes. I just pulled the trigger on the non-resonated Touring system. The clips from the inside sound really nice. I pretty much am not too concerned with how it sounds on the outside (if you know what I mean), as I'm the one driving!!! This will be the 4th different catback that I'll have tried on my FoST (that is if you count the stock unit). I'm hoping this one will be gold!!!
Awesome, really hope you like it as much as I do!!

·
Vendor
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So you'll be running a DP paired to the non-res Touring Edition? Should sound radical!

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Well, mounted the Touring version this week. It's loud, not so much in the cabin, but it's definitely loud. No drone which is good, and under 3000 RPM it's nice. Anything beyond 3000 on the tach, forget it as it's way too much for me. Upon my initial cold start, it was so loud that my neighbor came out of his garage and looked over towards my car with a "WTF!" look on his face! Wonder if the AWE guys sell the resonated section separately? If not, I may have to have resonator added.

·
Vendor
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, mounted the Touring version this week. It's loud, not so much in the cabin, but it's definitely loud. No drone which is good, and under 3000 RPM it's nice. Anything beyond 3000 on the tach, forget it as it's way too much for me. Upon my initial cold start, it was so loud that my neighbor came out of his garage and looked over towards my car with a "WTF!" look on his face! Wonder if the AWE guys sell the resonated section separately? If not, I may have to have resonator added.
I recommend the resonated Touring Edition for this reason -- but we also try to give everyone their desired options.

Send me an email and I'll get ya situated with a conversion :smile:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Making a trip down to tail of the dragon in October... Thinking about taking a detour by your shop in PA on the way from Canada... I feel like the mountains could use some of that sweet sweet music.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,409 Posts
Can you make a video?
How bout you get your ST on the road before you make requests.

Kids these days...

Oh btw, AWE is pretty solid in my book. Hopefully they sort Dave out, and get that new intake on my car asap, lol

1 - 20 of 65 Posts