Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is a weird one! So first of all I have a 2013 with 63K, exhaust, cpe intake but no tune. No monkey business at all really, other than I beat the piss out of my car. However if you play inside Fords parameters it seems to be up for it. Anyway I have developed an odd issue with my waste gate actuator. After a peroid of use and under mid range boost maybe 8 psi or so, the waste gate starts actuating seemingly at random. So it is rapidly cycling boost in and out making a the car go Whaa whaa whaa. Then i chill out and drive the car gently to avoid inducing boost for a little while and it goes away. The phantom of the waste gate has slipped back to his layer for now. WTF? I put a new boost solenoid on it and no luck, we checked the waste gate with a pressure tester and it seems fine, it doesn't appear i have any boost leaks? Anybody else experience this? Any idea what this is? Any help is appreciated and this is the short story, I have alot more details however i dont think you guys want to read a novel so hit me up and ill share them.

·
Registered
455 Posts
So this is a weird one! So first of all I have a 2013 with 63K, exhaust, cpe intake but no tune. No monkey business at all really, other than I beat the piss out of my car. However if you play inside Fords parameters it seems to be up for it. Anyway I have developed an odd issue with my waste gate actuator. After a peroid of use and under mid range boost maybe 8 psi or so, the waste gate starts actuating seemingly at random. So it is rapidly cycling boost in and out making a the car go Whaa whaa whaa. Then i chill out and drive the car gently to avoid inducing boost for a little while and it goes away. The phantom of the waste gate has slipped back to his layer for now. WTF? I put a new boost solenoid on it and no luck, we checked the waste gate with a pressure tester and it seems fine, it doesn't appear i have any boost leaks? Anybody else experience this? Any idea what this is? Any help is appreciated and this is the short story, I have alot more details however i dont think you guys want to read a novel so hit me up and ill share them.
Could it be the oe bpv?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Went through a similar issue with my '08 Acura RDX....wastegate was seized closed and the ECM kept cutting back timing and everything else to compensate. Made for an ugly ride when I tried to dip into it. If You've done the wastegate solenoid maybe an issue with the turbo itself?? Maybe cooked bearings in the turbo?? but again I'm no expert. Could be something as simple as an airflow issue. Silly question...but is everything in the air intake clean??

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't hurt to try, also my father has a theory that it is being caused by moisture on a sensor. I will be pulling my sensors and cleaning and lubing the connections with a special silicone. Also the turbo works fine and i can hit full boost no problem. I followed a video about what can go wrong with turbo's and it is highly unlikely the turbo went. Also when the problem first occured it was chronic and i could not get the waste gate to actuate at the proper time and i hit a p0234 overboost condition. Then the check engine light went away on its own and it hasnt thrown the overboost code since leaving me to believe the waste gate was sticking but isn't anymore.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont believe so because the boost problem occurs when i'm on the throttle and the bpv come into action when you get off the throttle.

·
Super Moderator
10,049 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts