Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would post this up, because the solution might be obvious to Ford Tech or something (hopefully)

A little background history. I recently got a buddy to install a new clutch in my ST. It failed due to oil contamination because I installed the Massive oil pan baffle late one night before an Autocross Event and the Sealant I used for the oil pan failed. If you guys ever want to buy an upgraded clutch I recommend ACT, super easy to deal with, and for the most part they covered the failed clutch even though I admitted to them it was probably my own fault.

Anyways...got my car back with a new clutch and everything seems good, except every 5th time I try to start the car it doesn't start.
I don't get anything, no crank, no noise. At first I thought it was the battery. So I changed the battery. It started immediately after swapping batteries. So I figured problem solved until I stopped the car, tried to start it and same thing, accessories come on, lights work but no cranking.

I then did a little searching online and discovered where the relay for the starter was located and pulled the relay out and jumped the terminals. Bingo the starter is active and I press the start button inside the car and bang engine starts.

So lately whenever the car doesn't start from inside the car. I pop the hood, pull the relay jump the terminals with a piece of wire, once I hear the starter engage I put the relay back in and go back into the car and press start and it starts every time.

Recently I cleaned up the main ground at the battery added an 8 gauge cable between the main ground the grounds at the frame rail after sanding all the paint off but still having the same starting problems.

What do you guys think this is?

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Clutch switch?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
:whs: the relay your referring to is for the clutch safety switch. Push in clutch and it closes the circuit to the relay via the switch.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Relay is for the starter. When I initially touch it with a no start situation it doesn’t do anything but spark. After the spark I jump the terminals again it will engage the starter. (I can hear the starter rotate the flywheel.)

R10 is the one I pull and jump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I jump it, starter turns, I put the relay back in place. Go back in the car press start and engine fires right up.

Yes I always press the clutch in.

I also bypassed what I think is the clutch/neutral switch tonight

This is the switch right?

I find it strange that even after doing this I still have to press the clutch to start. Must be another switch higher up?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it started doing it again, not sure if the jumper slipped....so I pulled out completely and to my surprise the engine started without the clutch switch wires tied together??

So I put the clutch switch back in and started up no problem again all night. The next morning same problem won't start.
I think it still might be the clutch switch so I'll just buy a new one.

One question:

Does the relay for starter have some sort of anti theft function to it?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
So it started doing it again, not sure if the jumper slipped....so I pulled out completely and to my surprise the engine started without the clutch switch wires tied together??

So I put the clutch switch back in and started up no problem again all night. The next morning same problem won't start.
I think it still might be the clutch switch so I'll just buy a new one.

One question:

Does the relay for starter have some sort of anti theft function to it?
I wouldn't be too surprised if it did, I mean there are precautions in place to stop hot wiring on a lot of modern cars...so since we don't have a key I'm sure there are other precautions to stop from getting it to start by other methods.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
The relay doesn't have any security features in it, it's a relay. The security features are in the key and if the car "sees" the key and and allows the accessories to turn on, then it's not going to keep the starter from working...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found out last night there are two switches on the clutch. One is for cruise control, which is the lower one that’s easily accessible and the clutch position sensor which is located at the top of the pedal bracket. I couldn’t reach the the one on top last night , but at least I think after I replace that switch she will start up like normal again.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The reason why I don't think its the starter is because when I connect the relay terminals together she spins quite nicely.
I definitely think it's something electronic. I was going through the "Helm Manual" https://kickass.to/helm-ford-focus-2...-t7747300.html

And there is a trouble shooting section that constantly refers to checking the PCM or another computer with a scan tool.

My running theory is that bypassing the switch on the clutch - sends a signal to the PCM that unlocks the starter because it registers the engine turning over.
The passive security system can't prevent the engine from running so it allows the push start to work for some reason.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The reason why I don't think its the starter is because when I connect the relay terminals together she spins quite nicely.
I definitely think it's something electronic. I was going through the "Helm Manual" https://kickass.to/helm-ford-focus-2...-t7747300.html

And there is a trouble shooting section that constantly refers to checking the PCM or another computer with a scan tool.

My running theory is that bypassing the switch on the clutch - sends a signal to the PCM that unlocks the starter because it registers the engine turning over.
The passive security system can't prevent the engine from running so it allows the push start to work for some reason.
Well I would like to say it could the the starter ground to the transmition that would cause a random no start but work perfect sometimes if you look at the underneath of the engine at the front of the trans then there is like a 4 gauge wire bolted right to a mounting bolt for the trans this would make since it its loose if someone did a clutch

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The grounds was one of the first things I checked. I actually added additional 8 gauge grounds from the battery to all the body points, removed the paint and covered everything in dielectric grease.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did you replace your relay? Everytime you pull it out you are resetting the relay are you not?

I am in the same boat as you and I found when I disconnect my battery - it resets and the car fires up. I'm heading to Ford to get a new starter relay.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Starter relay was my answer. My car is a 2013 and the replacement relay was a new part number, popped in and haven't had this issue since.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you replace your relay? Everytime you pull it out you are resetting the relay are you not?

I am in the same boat as you and I found when I disconnect my battery - it resets and the car fires up. I'm heading to Ford to get a new starter relay.
How do you reset it? Im just now having this issue also. Replaced the starter inhibitor switch on top of clutch pedal. Still same issue..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts