Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, great to find this forum. Thought I would post this to see if anyone has any insights as the dealer technicians are really struggling to replicate it or work out what is wrong. It's now being sent higher up the Ford food chain as I'm at my wits end!

The ST is just over a year old, with only 4000miles on the clock, yet I'm having a constant issue with intermittent starting. You can see from this video/image I get the engine malfunction light and battery light when it happens. The full dash comes on but the engine won't fire and and just hear this whirring noise from the rear.

So far it seems to happen after going down any bumpy/country roads, then stopping the car and trying to restart the above happens. It feels like some sensor is triggered by accident or a lead comes loose as I don't seem to be able to replicate it on a cold start.
  • AA called out 3 times, had to bump start the car each time. Drove straight to the dealers and then it starts fine (typical)
  • Happened 3 other times but restarted after 30min
I have no confidence in driving the car any more and it's currently been in the dealers for 10 days 馃が

Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
Does your car have auto or manual trans?

What im noticing is it going into "full accessory mode" which is in general is no different than hitting the start button without the clutch depressed (manual) or the brake pedal depressed (automatic). The whirring noise sounds like it might just be the fuel pump, and the engine and battery lights normally come on with what they call "bulb check" despite you having an LCD information display.

The fact that no codes are being set is kind of leaning me in this direction as well. The BCM isnt seeing you push the clutch pedal or brake pedal (depending what trans you have).

You're right though, the hardest part about this issue is actually duplicating it at the dealer with test equipment on the car. Until they can do that, there's no smoking gun.

When this happens, have you attempted to push and hold the start button for longer than 10 seconds to see if it cranks?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@TurboGT Thanks for the reply!

It's the manual. I've not actually tried holding it down for 10 seconds, I just depress the clutch and press it once (or multiple times) as I normally would for a start.

Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
Well, if they attempt a repair based on ford techline, you get the car back, and it does this problem again, try holding the start button. That would potentially save you the tow, assuming that actually lets it start. Keep us posted on what happens!

Registered
Ever notice that your "Check Engine Light"....is an image of a small block Chevy with a carburetor air cleaner on top and the cooling fan directly connected to the engine. Font Symbol Logo Pattern Graphics

Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
Looks like you have a Mk4, don't have those in North America which is where most of the users on this forum are.

@sttwoton may be able to point you to other forums.

For the Mk3 platform, intermittent issues with all the dash lights flashing and no crank could be harness splice quality issues, or the large fuse links located under the battery tray cover, tho the fuse links are usually problems after more mileage and battery replacements.

Sounds like the TurboGT is on track with the start lockout circuit having a fault.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, if they attempt a repair based on ford techline, you get the car back, and it does this problem again, try holding the start button. That would potentially save you the tow, assuming that actually lets it start. Keep us posted on what happens!
Will do, thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like you have a Mk4, don't have those in North America which is where most of the users on this forum are.

@sttwoton may be able to point you to other forums.

For the Mk3 platform, intermittent issues with all the dash lights flashing and no crank could be harness splice quality issues, or the large fuse links located under the battery tray cover, tho the fuse links are usually problems after more mileage and battery replacements.

Sounds like the TurboGT is on track with the start lockout circuit having a fault.
Ah, okay. Thanks!

Registered
Ford factory grounds are crap and can cause intermittent failures.

Reactions: Coolpool
1 - 11 of 11 Posts