Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2013 st with 24k miles on it. got it in september with 20k on it, since i've had it it has intermittently stalled when rolling to a stop at a junction with the clutch down. its only done it a dozen or so times and when i took it into my local dealer they couldn't find anything wrong. other than that it runs fine, seems to idle well accept that occasionally it grumbles when idling. i just checked and there are no outstanding recalls on the car.

any ideas as to what could be causing this? any simple things i should check (i'm no mechanic)?

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
This happens to me due to pulling the clutch out too fast, followed by a "****!" "Restarts vehicle like a noob"

Is hill assist off?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my first thought that i was doing something but i haven't stalled any other cars and vans i drive regularly and it stalls before i've had a chance to lift the clutch up. hill start assist is on

·
Registered
463 Posts
My 2014 ST started occasionally stalling when I depressed the clutch on the interstate, in traffic, coming to a light, anytime I decelerated. Sometimes, I had to keep my foot on the gas or the car would die every time. It worsened to only seem to be running the motor when the gas was slightly depressed. It would then spring to life and begin to accelerate.

It did this seemingly at random intervals, and for various amounts of time, and somehow driving 100% normal for a 1300 mile road trip over the Thanksgiving Holiday.

Once I got back to town and issues began again, it threw a CEL finally, and wouldn't stop acting dumb so to the dealer I went.

Dealer told me that the repair for the engine harness TSB had failed, and that I was now liable for the re-repair($300~), though the car was still under 12/12 CPO Bumper to Bumper warranty, or I'd need to take the car back to the dealer that performed the repair before I even owned it to perform the TSB fix again.

Uh, no. That's not how any of this works!

So I *****ed a bit and eventually called the Service Manager at the dealer that had sold me the car and performed all the recall items and this TSB on it, and the Service Manager called the dealer my car is at (200 miles apart), and they worked something out, not sure what, but I'm supposed to get the car back today.

Fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
I've got a 2013 st with 24k miles on it. got it in september with 20k on it, since i've had it it has intermittently stalled when rolling to a stop at a junction with the clutch down. its only done it a dozen or so times and when i took it into my local dealer they couldn't find anything wrong. other than that it runs fine, seems to idle well accept that occasionally it grumbles when idling. i just checked and there are no outstanding recalls on the car.

any ideas as to what could be causing this? any simple things i should check (i'm no mechanic)?
If your car was not taken in for the recall on the wiring harness you may experience stalling. There was an issue early on. Here are a couple old threads on the subject; lots of reading!
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-car-randomly-stalling-idling-wierd-read.html
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...nce-concerns-engine-wiring-splice-repair.html

I have an early build 2013 and have never had the problem; if it ever pops up I will fix it myself.
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-guides/10746-engine-stalling-solution-do-yourself-fix.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i looked my car up on ford's recall site and it doesn't come up. took the car into ford and showed one of the guys this video and told him what happened, they took a look and found nothing again and also said the car wasn't up for any recalls. that night it happened again but this time i got to watch the dials as it stalled so i can be very exact about what happened:

rolling up to a roundabout from about 70mph to a stop, at around 25mph foot down on clutch, revs are dropping as i lose speed then when i put my foot on the clutch the revs just keep dropping until the car silently stops running, no warning at all. this is the pattern, always the same but not every time, rolling from high speed to stop or near stop the revs just drop until stalling silently, no juddering. sometimes when coming to a stop or slowing the revs drop to about 500rpm then bounce back to 1k or 1.5 and sit there for idle. other times they stay above 1k. i don't have to come to a complete stop for this to happen either which is where it gets more dangerous. if i roll down to say 20mph, shift to second or third to move out without stopping it can still do it and has done a couple of nights ago halfway out of a junction. thankfully it was in the middle of the countryside and no one was around to smash into me.

the dealership will have a look at £108 an hour no guarantees of finding anything which is a bit rough. should i just take it to a local mechanic i know and have him perform the wiring splice fix even though it seems i am unaffected by the recall? any other ideas as to what's going on or do i just have to swallow £108 an hour investigation?

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Does this only happen while your riding the clutch. If you pop it into neutral does this occur? By the way as a normal habit you should avoid riding the clutch. Leave it in gear (and get the MPG benefits) or pop it into neutral.

·
Registered
463 Posts
so i looked my car up on ford's recall site and it doesn't come up. took the car into ford and showed one of the guys this video and told him what happened, they took a look and found nothing again and also said the car wasn't up for any recalls. that night it happened again but this time i got to watch the dials as it stalled so i can be very exact about what happened:

rolling up to a roundabout from about 70mph to a stop, at around 25mph foot down on clutch, revs are dropping as i lose speed then when i put my foot on the clutch the revs just keep dropping until the car silently stops running, no warning at all. this is the pattern, always the same but not every time, rolling from high speed to stop or near stop the revs just drop until stalling silently, no juddering. sometimes when coming to a stop or slowing the revs drop to about 500rpm then bounce back to 1k or 1.5 and sit there for idle. other times they stay above 1k. i don't have to come to a complete stop for this to happen either which is where it gets more dangerous. if i roll down to say 20mph, shift to second or third to move out without stopping it can still do it and has done a couple of nights ago halfway out of a junction. thankfully it was in the middle of the countryside and no one was around to smash into me.

the dealership will have a look at £108 an hour no guarantees of finding anything which is a bit rough. should i just take it to a local mechanic i know and have him perform the wiring splice fix even though it seems i am unaffected by the recall? any other ideas as to what's going on or do i just have to swallow £108 an hour investigation?
That sounds exactly like my car's past issue, which is the splice issue. It was fixed with a second go round with the dealer for repair, only 6 months after the splice "fix" was initially done.

If you're handy with solder and wire snips, just do it yourself and save that crazy money. Should only take 30-60 minutes with any competence. If it doesn't fix it, you won't be hurting anything regardless.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
happens in neutral or when riding the clutch.

unfortunately i'm useless when it comes to actually working on a car so i'm thinking that i'll talk to my local mechanic who's always done a good job for me and given a good price

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I agree with @ddfred and @Slo86GT as it sounds like a wiring harness issue. Anyone with some basic electronic skills and basic tools should be able to perform this repair. The video linked above is awesome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts