Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
BG: 2013 ST2 - Intake, CBE, Boomba BOV, Symposer delete, stock DP, 1 step colder plugs

Recently the car has had issues with breakup under WOT in 3rd gear and above. Does not throw any codes. All values displayed on my AP3 seem to be within reason, no erratic values. I replace the plugs every 20k or so. Use only top tier reputable gasoline, never less than 91oct (CA gas though).

It seems to only have an issue at specific RPMs, around 4k and sometimes again near 5k. It will sputter a couple of times (not sustained, braaa-pop-raaa-pop-pop-raaaaaa) and be fine the remainder of the pull in that gear, next gear same story.

Was running cobb ots stage 2 tune, now running stratified stage 2, same issue.
This issue has surfaced in the last 2500 miles (100k on car).

Anybody have any ideas?
Let me know if i need to add any information to help out.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Did your spark plugs look fouled with carbon buildup when you last pulled them?

I could see the issue being a misfire from running too rich.

Are you tracking AFR on the Accessport?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the exact same thing happening. Big turbo ~90k. I had a boost reference rip itself out of the pipe so nothing worked right. Fixed that and started experiencing the breaking up you describe. I'm swapping the plugs and replacing the rear boost solenoid this week as that's what was connected to that boost reference. I'm no expert but it seems to be wastegate related. I'll post if that helps anything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did your spark plugs look fouled with carbon buildup when you last pulled them?

I could see the issue being a misfire from running too rich.

Are you tracking AFR on the Accessport?
I am indeed tracking AFR on AP3. Nothing out of the ordinary. Value does not jump all over, or even dip that i can tell.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the exact same thing happening. Big turbo ~90k. I had a boost reference rip itself out of the pipe so nothing worked right. Fixed that and started experiencing the breaking up you describe. I'm swapping the plugs and replacing the rear boost solenoid this week as that's what was connected to that boost reference. I'm no expert but it seems to be wastegate related. I'll post if that helps anything.
I wuld think wastegate issues would cause either erratic or runaway boost pressure? I dont notice that happening either.
This is a shot in the dark, but when i had a B5S4 the "N75" valve crappo'd on me and the think pulled like garbage. i noticed this has a similar type valve controlling BOV, possible culprit?. I dont think its a hardware issue based on the fact that its very specific to certain load conditions and rpms and i would think that a faulty sensor would cause a CEL.
Could this be a boost/vacuum leak? I had my idle raised to 1000 to smooth it out but only pulls about 10" of vacuum at "idle". Doesnt seem out of line considering 17-18" is about normal at low idle...
I just miss the days of smooth power and i want my baby back!!! haha

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I wuld think wastegate issues would cause either erratic or runaway boost pressure? I dont notice that happening either.
This is a shot in the dark, but when i had a B5S4 the "N75" valve crappo'd on me and the think pulled like garbage. i noticed this has a similar type valve controlling BOV, possible culprit?. I dont think its a hardware issue based on the fact that its very specific to certain load conditions and rpms and i would think that a faulty sensor would cause a CEL.
Could this be a boost/vacuum leak? I had my idle raised to 1000 to smooth it out but only pulls about 10" of vacuum at "idle". Doesnt seem out of line considering 17-18" is about normal at low idle...
I just miss the days of smooth power and i want my baby back!!! haha
What are you referring to when you say: " 10" of vacuum at "idle". Doesnt seem out of line considering 17-18" is about normal at low idle... "

Boost pressure right...? I'm assuming you are talking about psi when you put " ? If that's the case then you're talking about negative 10 and negative 17-18, and if that's what you mean then that's too low. Mine idles in the morning at -8 sometimes -9 at the most. Regardless of what RPM it idles or how much load I put on my motor the LOWEST I have EVER seen pressure was -12.00 usually -11.50.

Get into 4th and do a WOT pull, what does your boost peak at? The Maximum value on the accessport. Should be 20 - 21 or so at the most..if it reads 17 - 18 then you might be leaking somewhere

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
I had the same issue, pulled the plugs and found out the gap was way the hell off. Ended up just putting new plugs in with the right gap. Perfect after that.

Reactions: SteelGatorB8

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are you referring to when you say: " 10" of vacuum at "idle". Doesnt seem out of line considering 17-18" is about normal at low idle... "

Boost pressure right...? I'm assuming you are talking about psi when you put " ? If that's the case then you're talking about negative 10 and negative 17-18, and if that's what you mean then that's too low. Mine idles in the morning at -8 sometimes -9 at the most. Regardless of what RPM it idles or how much load I put on my motor the LOWEST I have EVER seen pressure was -12.00 usually -11.50.

Get into 4th and do a WOT pull, what does your boost peak at? The Maximum value on the accessport. Should be 20 - 21 or so at the most..if it reads 17 - 18 then you might be leaking somewhere
When referring to vacuum, it is generally measured in "inches" of some medium (water or mercury are the most common)
Boost under a nice full WOT pull with this tune, i was seeing spike of around 23PSI and a taper to hold around 21.5PSI

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the same issue, pulled the plugs and found out the gap was way the hell off. Ended up just putting new plugs in with the right gap. Perfect after that.
If that is the case, im buying copper cheap-af plugs for the rest of my life because this thing DESTROYS plugs like its going out of style. I will check them in the morning and report back.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
When referring to vacuum, it is generally measured in "inches" of some medium (water or mercury are the most common)
Boost under a nice full WOT pull with this tune, i was seeing spike of around 23PSI and a taper to hold around 21.5PSI
My apologies, that's beyond my knowledge of vacuum pressure. With those numbers of boost I agree with the plug suggestions being the next thing to look at.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Swapped a brand new set of ITV22's and it runs like a champ. Beat it all day yesterday just to make sure.
Thank you everyone!
Still going to try the copper plugs when these go bad in 15k mi.LOLOLOLOLOLOL

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Swapped a brand new set of ITV22's and it runs like a champ. Beat it all day yesterday just to make sure.
Thank you everyone!
Still going to try the copper plugs when these go bad in 15k mi.LOLOLOLOLOLOL
why? If this event does nothing else, it should at least show you how important proper plugs and gaps are for this vehicle. It would be stupid to put an inferior product in the car. Stick with the Iridium step colder with the proper gap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
why? If this event does nothing else, it should at least show you how important proper plugs and gaps are for this vehicle. It would be stupid to put an inferior product in the car. Stick with the Iridium step colder with the proper gap.
My thinking is not that I am using an inferior product, just a different one.
The copper plugs I will be trying are also a step colder than stock.
I have also made peace with the fact that they will have to replaced MUCH more frequently. However, in all my travels to obtain all the knowledge there is to know about internal combustion and all of its varied nuances, I have come across a large number of people running well built high performance engines that swear by copper plugs.
I run pump gas, I have a stock turbo, I am stage 2, I am wondering where you are getting that anything other than Iridium or some alternative "space-age material" makes them inferior.
It is my understanding that a large portion of why Platinum or Iridium plugs are used so widely these days is because of the maintenance interval they are able to achieve. See above, I have not been thrilled with your "proper plugs" for the vehicle so what motivation do I have to continue using them?
I agree the gap seems to be very important to this ignition system. Credit to you there.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
My thinking is not that I am using an inferior product, just a different one.
The copper plugs I will be trying are also a step colder than stock.
I have also made peace with the fact that they will have to replaced MUCH more frequently. However, in all my travels to obtain all the knowledge there is to know about internal combustion and all of its varied nuances, I have come across a large number of people running well built high performance engines that swear by copper plugs.
I run pump gas, I have a stock turbo, I am stage 2, I am wondering where you are getting that anything other than Iridium or some alternative "space-age material" makes them inferior.
It is my understanding that a large portion of why Platinum or Iridium plugs are used so widely these days is because of the maintenance interval they are able to achieve. See above, I have not been thrilled with your "proper plugs" for the vehicle so what motivation do I have to continue using them?
I agree the gap seems to be very important to this ignition system. Credit to you there.

ok.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I'll provide 2 things:

1- The question was answered so everyone can let it die lol

2- The age of some users comes out during interesting situations lately

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There was no need to continue the thread, but you sir, are a ****ing douchebag.
You sit atop a throne of close-minded bull****. If someone disagrees with you in the future, perhaps they are open to discussion about the differing viewpoints for the sake of education. I will be the first to admit I'm wrong about stuff but seldom does that come due to a "because I said so" from some nobody on the interwebz. I am of the opinion and impression this is common among adults, and still it may be, as you are a child. Thought you should know because your parents obviously left you to become an entitled ****face.

Also, the amount of posts I have made is irrelevant, this isn't my primary account but I cant get into the other one so it will have to do. I could post 200x/day but that really dilutes the "effectivity" of said posts. If someone asked a question about rear diffusers and Adrian Newey, a brilliant aerodynamicist who is intellectually FAR superior to myself and likely everyone on this forum, made an account just to respond with a phenomenal answer (that would make his a 1 post account, so you can keep track), would you say the same thing?

Please, for the sake of humanity and our future on this planet, DO NOT REPRODUCE.

- @Pcjorgen

Cute pm bud.
1. What did you hope to accomplish by posting this? You are literally the only person on this forum who has been anything but helpful.
2. Mods: feel free to delete this thread.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.