Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 ST1

Half (or most) of the time my AC doesn't blow cold unless I start the car with the AC already on. It's linked to the engine cooling fan. If the cooling fan is operational, the AC will work just fine. If it turn off the car and start it with the AC on, it will work fine. It's the same issue as this post but i didn't want to revive and old thread (i sent the OP a note but no response).

I replaced the fan control module after the dealer telling me the fan was throwing a "No op code." It's not throwing any ODB codes. It's not the relay. I've seen other folks complain of this issue but they either never posted a resolution or their resolution (replace fan control module) didn't work for me.

Any thoughts? I don't have a windows machine but would Forscan be any help?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,199 Posts
@StanE just posted about having this issue. He replaced the module and midi fuse. Turns out the fan motor itself has a bad spot in the armature or bad brushes which is causing it to not turn on half of the time. His is a 2013 with high miles, so it might be along the lines of what you guys are experiencing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks @TurboGT for the heads up.

I only have 60K miles and it's been doing since at least 42K-ish. There aren't many moving pieces involved so sooner or later the issue has to be isolated to the the fan assembly or wiring. I hate to throw parts at problems but I got the distinct impression that's what my local dealership was going to do. I'll report back once I get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
2,125 Posts
Just an update on mine - finally got the new fan/module shroud assembly installed yesterday. It not a job that I would call fun, but it is doable in your driveway and without removing the front bumper, or jacking the car up (although both of those would certainly help!). For some reason I was able to wrestle the old unit out without draining the coolant, but I was not able to get the new one in without removing the lower radiator hose to get just a little more clearance to slide it into place. You will need to remove the air box and the 4 bolts (2 per side) that secure the radiator support bracket. That gives just enough wiggle to get things into place. Be careful that you don't mash up the fins on the radiator too much!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts