Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night when I got home from work I had noticed a few small oil spots where I park. A quick wipe of the finger and smell told me it was transmission oil. I finally got underneath it today to assess the situation and realized the half shaft bearing is completely toast and allowing the axle to slide in and out of the transmission. I know the bearing is pressed on the axle and I will need to replace the whole axle in its entirety unfortunately. But do I need to replace the bearing housing that wraps around it and bolts to the block as well? What OEM parts site should I order from to save me a few bucks? I also can't seem to find any posts or videos with any sort of insight on how to do this job, or removing an axle in general. I'm way out of warranty so this ones gonna be on me so any kindof guidance would be greatly appreciated! Car is a 2013 ST with 70k miles. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no clue how to tell which default would be which in this situation honestly

·
Administrator
12,268 Posts
I have no clue how to tell which default would be which in this situation honestly
Use tasca auto parts.

Yes replace the strap and nuts. They are one time use.

Optimistically getting a whole intermediate shaft with bearing would be easiest. Odds are you will be removing the old bearing, and pressing on a new one.

Removing the shaft and cv axle is outlined in any transmission removal procedure.

You need to remove the passenger axel nut, remove the bearing support strap. Then you can unbolt and wiggle the lower balljoint out of the knuckle. This will give you enough wiggle to remove the cv and intermediate as a unit. Be cautious removing it so you dont damage the seal at the trans. If its questionable you can replace it.

Its pretty straight forward up until the actual bearing swap. No idea how that will go.

You should drain your trans, and refill it after the swap is complete. Just for piece of mind and to assure proper level of fluid. Motul DCTF ftw btw. Lol

·
Administrator
12,268 Posts
Id replace that trans seal for sure. Oh and it just looks like the bearing mount strap failed, the bearing may be fine...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Id replace that trans seal for sure. Oh and it just looks like the bearing mount strap failed, the bearing may be fine...
I was curious to that as well considering there wasn’t a mess of grease around the bearing or anything and it just looks like the bearing has wiggled its way out the housing causing the whole unit to shift and wiggle. Probably be best to start with the bearing retainer and go from there since I wouldn’t have to remove the half shaft for that it looks like? Would I need the bearing retainer and mounting bracket or just the retainer? Not finding much literature on this nor have I ever had to do this so just trying to make sure this is done the right time the first time considering time is scarce these days for me!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can’t read the shop manual link either because I’m on mobile and don’t have a computer :(

·
Administrator
12,268 Posts
I was curious to that as well considering there wasn’t a mess of grease around the bearing or anything and it just looks like the bearing has wiggled its way out the housing causing the whole unit to shift and wiggle. Probably be best to start with the bearing retainer and go from there since I wouldn’t have to remove the half shaft for that it looks like? Would I need the bearing retainer and mounting bracket or just the retainer? Not finding much literature on this nor have I ever had to do this so just trying to make sure this is done the right time the first time considering time is scarce these days for me!
I've heard of just the mounting strap "failing" before, so it's not a new issue. You would just be replacing the strap and two nuts, after seating the intermediate shaft completely into the trans. Then torquing to spec.

Do you have any idea of how much fluid you have lost? I doubt it's that much, but then again I don't take chances with that kind of stuff personally.

You can grab the bearing itself, and check it manually by hand for play. Id clean up the both the mounting surface, and the outer race of the bearing to ensure proper clamping.

Maybe some blue loctite on the studs for the mount as well, iirc they are self locking nuts already, but it never hurts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've heard of just the mounting strap "failing" before, so it's not a new issue. You would just be replacing the strap and two nuts, after seating the intermediate shaft completely into the trans. Then torquing to spec.

Do you have any idea of how much fluid you have lost? I doubt it's that much, but then again I don't take chances with that kind of stuff personally.

You can grab the bearing itself, and check it manually by hand for play. Id clean up the both the mounting surface, and the outer race of the bearing to ensure proper clamping.

Maybe some blue loctite on the studs for the mount as well, iirc they are self locking nuts already, but it never hurts
I’m not entirely sure how much has been lost but I wouldn’t imagine too much. I had actually just flushed out the factory fluid for Motul 4K miles ago and still have some left so I think what’s left should cover anything that’s lost. Would you suggest replacing the bracket as well as the strap? I’m concerned with that bearing having so much free spin within there that it’s worn both of them down and won’t seat properly with just the strap itself. It seems I could do the bracket without having to remove the axle either.

·
Registered
651 Posts

One of the biggest downsides to a closed system, no dipstick to tell you how much you've got.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Administrator
12,268 Posts
I’m not entirely sure how much has been lost but I wouldn’t imagine too much. I had actually just flushed out the factory fluid for Motul 4K miles ago and still have some left so I think what’s left should cover anything that’s lost. Would you suggest replacing the bracket as well as the strap? I’m concerned with that bearing having so much free spin within there that it’s worn both of them down and won’t seat properly with just the strap itself. It seems I could do the bracket without having to remove the axle either.
I suggest replacing whatever is out of spec. You will have to determine this.

If you pull the strap you can sorta flop the shaft out of the way and check for wear on the bracket. I suggest putting on safety glasses, and brass brushing it with some brake cleaner. Really clean everything so you can properly assess the situation.

Reactions: dave87

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you have a service manual available can you confirm for me the axle doesn’t need to be removed to replace the bracket? Visually it looks like it won’t have to, but uncertain how much movement I’ll get out of the halfshaft with it being in the transmission. My gut tells me to do the bracket and strap at the same time but need to make sure I plan the appropriate amount of time if I need to remove the axle or not.

I really appreciate all the help!

·
Administrator
12,268 Posts
If you have a service manual available can you confirm for me the axle doesn’t need to be removed to replace the bracket? Visually it looks like it won’t have to, but uncertain how much movement I’ll get out of the halfshaft with it being in the transmission. My gut tells me to do the bracket and strap at the same time but need to make sure I plan the appropriate amount of time if I need to remove the axle or not.

I really appreciate all the help!
You have to go under there to troubleshoot properly. So while you are ****ing around, see how much flop you have and bracket clearance. I have quite a bit of experience removing all that, and I'm confident i could get it all done with the axle installed.

Everything in the Focus is a pain to swap out.
Not at all. You sir are just cursed.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ordered the bracket and strap as well as the necessary nuts and bolts. I’ll be able to assess the bearing once I get it all off to see if it’s scorched pretty good too and need to replace the axle with bearing. And if it tightens up all if not most of that play.

I’m surprised there’s not any sort of grease that goes around the outside of the bearing that’s sandwiched between the bracket and strap. Unless it’s suppose to be completely motionless.

·
Administrator
12,268 Posts
Ordered the bracket and strap as well as the necessary nuts and bolts. I’ll be able to assess the bearing once I get it all off to see if it’s scorched pretty good too and need to replace the axle with bearing. And if it tightens up all if not most of that play.

I’m surprised there’s not any sort of grease that goes around the outside of the bearing that’s sandwiched between the bracket and strap. Unless it’s suppose to be completely motionless.
Exactly, completely motionless. You want a clean, dry, tight fit. OR ELSE YOUR AXLE SLIDES OUT!!!! Lmfao!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lol I just mean motionless as far as rotation with the actual bearing rotating in the bracket and strap, and not just the axle rotating inside the bearing. I’m aware it’s not suppose to slide side to side though causing the leak

·
Administrator
12,268 Posts
Lol I just mean motionless as far as rotation with the actual bearing rotating in the bracket and strap, and not just the axle rotating inside the bearing. I’m aware it’s not suppose to slide side to side though causing the leak
You are securing the outer race of the bearing with the bracket and strap, just like a wheelbearing in a hub. So stationary while the internal race spins. Outside is motionless.

Reactions: dave87
1 - 20 of 33 Posts