Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Focus ST3 (Black)
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Ive been looking around and saw various recommendations from people who dyed their stitching successfully (over time?) but I'm curious if anyone has dyed or changed the stitching of the ST emblems in the recaros seats on ST3 packages?

I've switched my red emblems outside to yellow, and was thinking of doing the seat emblems the same.

Any thoughts or recommendations of a fabric pen to try? If anyone did this, I would love to see pics too.

Pic for reference. The ST logos are thick stitched and mostly red with a white outline.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Automotive design

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
You will have to bleach it first then try to dye it yellow. I've never done it but might have some luck with the bleach used on hair. Watched the ex wife bleach to many of her friends hair over the years. just be extremely careful. if you try it I would tape the leather. and you probably wont be able to just bleach the red so you would end up with only yellow ST with no outline the thread would soak the dye and you wouldn't be able to just dye an outline on it.

Reactions: Kyio

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Jeez. Your seats look fantastic for a 13'!

Only thing I've heard to do with the logo was me having to take it to an upholstery shop.
I figured it wasn't worth it and redid the stitches on Ebrake, center console, steering wheel, and shift boot red and stuck with the interior red and black theme that came from the factory. Gages, needles, badging. Too much effort to change it all for me.

Other than that, the above post sounds like a good plan. Just be reeeallyyyy selective with what you use. You definitely don't want to deteriorate the threads.

Reactions: Shadow and Kyio

·
Registered
2013 Focus ST3 (Black)
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I try and keep it as clean and new as possible. Need to do a whole exterior deep clay clean and touch up soon. It looks great but I'm noticing the headlights and hood marks now lol

@Shadow I was thinking it would need to be some bleach and re-dye work. I thought about taking it to a shop to get a professional option, but the kind of money is better put towards my performance mods first. Exterior gelbadges are amazing and was only like $20. But yeah, that sounds like a way to go about it. I could try reaching out to Recaro too, see if they might have any info that could be helpful.

I'm thinking to get some kind of test materials and see if I can reproduce the logos in some fashion and do a process to it. Not high on the mod list at the moment though.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Not yellow, but used a red dye marker to do my ST3 seats stitching. Been like this for like 7 years now...
Luggage and bags Textile Sleeve Bag Red

·
Registered
2013 Focus ST3 (Black)
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another forum I belong to a guy changed his blue stitching to green with only a yellow sharpie and a crap ton of patience. Said it took about 90mins a seat.
Not the same seats as these I guess? Only asking because the specific thread and color and thickness. That's interesting though... need to remember art class back in the day and mix colors to get yellow 😂

I can see the Sharpie idea working, but you would need to probably do it with "dots" instead of swipes so you flood the thread with sharpie ink.

I was thinking bleach with a microfiber or something to slowly remove the targeted areas of color. Not trying this anytime soon, and not without a trial or sorts first.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not the same seats as these I guess? Only asking because the specific thread and color and thickness. That's interesting though... need to remember art class back in the day and mix colors to get yellow 😂

I can see the Sharpie idea working, but you would need to probably do it with "dots" instead of swipes so you flood the thread with sharpie ink.

I was thinking bleach with a microfiber or something to slowly remove the targeted areas of color. Not trying this anytime soon, and not without a trial or sorts first.
Yeah his was a ‘22 Bronco so still a Ford but def not Recaros. I’d be nervous with the bleach idea, but I think if you masked off enough and we’re SUPER patient, the bleach and fabric pen would work.

·
Registered
2013 Focus ST3 (Black)
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah his was a ‘22 Bronco so still a Ford but def not Recaros. I’d be nervous with the bleach idea, but I think if you masked off enough and we’re SUPER patient, the bleach and fabric pen would work.
Patience def seems to be the main ingredient for this. Too little, and you can permanently ruin not just the threads but the leather seats too!

I wonder if they can be re-threaded. I've seen videos with people cross threading the shifter boots but those are simple stitches. Hmm...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wonder if they can be re-threaded. I've seen videos with people cross threading the shifter boots but those are simple stitches. Hmm...
We “flew” a “helicopter” on Mars a little over a year ago, so I’m sure that’s within the realm of possibilities. But it would probably be time consuming to even just find a place that could handle that, and then pricey to boot.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,253 Posts
I'm going to say no. The side bolsters have airbags in them and are precisely engineered to have this thread seaparate in a specific manner so that the airbag can come through and doesn't get deflected. In a wreck it could hurt you even more if the airbag deploys in the wrong direction due to a restitched seat.

Reactions: Kyio

·
Registered
2013 Focus ST3 (Black)
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to say no. The side bolsters have airbags in them and are precisely engineered to have this thread seaparate in a specific manner so that the airbag can come through and doesn't get deflected. In a wreck it could hurt you even more if the airbag deploys in the wrong direction due to a restitched seat.
Oh my gosh, yes. This is a HUGE point, good input.

Funny enough when I utterly wrecked my original ST, I had no airbags deploy. Completley unharmed, but I wonder how those owuld have felt if they deployed. The seats are super bolstered and with the seatbelt held me really tight in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts