Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its been awhile since I've had a vehicle that I do more then just vacuum and whip the inside down with a rag. However, Id like to get back in the habit of a good interior cleaning once a month on the ST. Just curious whatever one is using? I don't want any "armor all" shine, just a good clean look. Maybe some of the products these days provide some protection from sun damage?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've been using Chemical Guys Inner Clean. It doesn't leave any residue or greasy coating. It cleans well and leaves a dry look. Its even safe for the lcd screens and gauge covers as long as you spray on a microfiber cloth and not directly on the screens. It came in one of my mystery buckets and Ive been hooked since.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Nextzett Cockpit Premium pretty much fits your exact description. If you are trying to clean something super dirty you want to use their other product "Plastic Deep Cleaner"

I've been using both of their products for years (when it was 1Einzett) and its the best stuff I've used for interiors.

Product Liquid Automotive wheel system Automotive cleaning Fluid

Product Description: "Cleans and cares for all interior clear and colored plastic surfaces such as the dashboard, gauge cluster, navigation and audio screens, shift knob, arm rests, steering wheel, leatherette (imitation leather) and finished (coated) leather (condition with nextzett Leather Care after treatment). Leaves a shine-free, non-slip finish that repels dust. The mild cleaners remove dust and dirt but won't harm soft touch materials or painted plastic trim surfaces. Contains sun-blocking agents to maintain the original condition. It leaves a light, fresh citrus scent. Water-based and silicone-free. For very dirty surfaces that require extra cleaning strength, use nextzett Plastic Deep Cleaner"

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Meguiars quik interior detailer is a good product. It cleans and protects in one step. You can buy it even at Walmart.
For more in depth cleaning you will need an apc. La totally awesome from the dollar store is actually a great product. You will need spray bottles as it needs diluted, some at 10:1 and some 15:1. You will need to put a protectant on then like 303 aerospace protectant, or just go back over it with the quik interior detailer.
Upholstery and carpet, Folex from Home Depot. Back by the kitchen area should be sold by the gallon no need to dilute. Spray on, work in, and vacuum up and then pat with a clean towel. When it completely dries stain will be gone, and it isn't greasy so that area won't attract dirt like some cleaners.
Leather, our leather is coated so moisture doesn't actually get to the leather. If moisture doesn't conditioner doesn't either. So, clean and protect. Clean with mild soap, or the nice thing with quik interior detailer is it's safe on everything. Or a leather protectant like Optimum leather protectant or the 303 I mentioned above.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
Meguiars quik interior detailer is a good product. It cleans and protects in one step. You can buy it even at Walmart.
For more in depth cleaning you will need an apc. La totally awesome from the dollar store is actually a great product. You will need spray bottles as it needs diluted, some at 10:1 and some 15:1. You will need to put a protectant on then like 303 aerospace protectant, or just go back over it with the quik interior detailer.
Upholstery and carpet, Folex from Home Depot. Back by the kitchen area should be sold by the gallon no need to dilute. Spray on, work in, and vacuum up and then pat with a clean towel. When it completely dries stain will be gone, and it isn't greasy so that area won't attract dirt like some cleaners.
Leather, our leather is coated so moisture doesn't actually get to the leather. If moisture doesn't conditioner doesn't either. So, clean and protect. Clean with mild soap, or the nice thing with quik interior detailer is it's safe on everything. Or a leather protectant like Optimum leather protectant or the 303 I mentioned above.

Good luck.
I always forget about Totally Awesome, that stuff really is totally awesome.

I personally use Meg's Ultimate Protectant for the interior trim, and Meg's Gold Class Rich Leather for the seats and steering wheel. My car doesn't really get dirty inside (just dusty), so a quick wipe down followed by the Meg's is all I really need. Both can be found at Walmart or your local auto parts store for fairly cheap.

The Ultimate Protectant is, as the name implies, a protectant, and therefore should be paired with an actual cleaning detailer if your trim has anything more than light dirt or dust on it. But it leaves a great finish (a nice shine without being glossy, if that makes sense) and offers UV protection. Supposedly it works on exterior and engine bay plastic as well, but I haven't tried it there.

The Rich Leather spray is a 3-in-1 cleaner, conditioner, and protectant. The black ST3 Recaros don't show much dirt and grime, but it's there and the Rich Leather does a great job of pulling it off the seats. It leaves a great looking shine and I personally think it smells pretty good. My only complaint is that it does leave our seats a little greasy despite claiming to be non-greasy (perhaps due to the fact that our leather is coated), so I usually have to go over it with a towel after cleaning (a quick wipe down is enough).

My Findway mats offer pretty good carpet coverage so I haven't had to clean the actual carpet yet. Deep cleaning the mats is stupid easy, I just vacuum the dirt, hose them down, and use a brush to remove any stubborn dirt before rinsing and letting them dry. Haven't had to use any cleaning products on them yet.

Don't forget about a good ammonia-free automotive glass cleaner. My windshield in particular seems to get super hazy for some reason so cleaning the inside of it regularly is essential.

Lastly, if you've got the carbon fiber trim I've found that Chemical Guys' Hybrid V07 detailer does a great job of bringing out the gloss and detail of the weave. It does leave the surface a little slick so be careful with the shift knob.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I like Griots Garage Interior Cleaner.

It leaves no residue and cuts through dried spilled coffee well (hey, it's a daily -- don't judge me!).

With no residue there is no shine like with Armor All products.

They have a video on the web page and some complimentary products as well. I use their exterior care products as well.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/interior+cleaner.do

Hope that helps,
Mark

Reactions: poletrain

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts

It leaves no residue and cuts through dried spilled coffee well (hey, it's a daily -- don't judge me!).

They have a video on the web page and some complimentary products as well. I use their exterior care products as well.

Hope that helps,
Mark
I've had coffee spilt in my car twice and once my best friend put his skinny red bull in the cupholder and it fell onto his seat behind his back and spilled all over my seat. Thank god for leather, but man was I mad. #DailyRacecarLife

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
This last time I detailed the interior I literally just used my Adams Detail Spray lol it's multipurpose and looks great so I'm happy

·
Registered
407 Posts
For the leather, Meguiar's gold class rich leather cleaner is what I use. I first used ArmorAll Leather Care Gel and didn't like it, while it does give the leather a really nice soft feel, it was hard to apply and if you didn't wipe it on real evenly it left white spots. Meguiars is easier to apply evenly and I don't get discoloration spots!

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
593 Posts
I use Meguiar's for the plastic. Not greasy or shiny, but noticeably better looking. I use Trinova cleaner and conditioner for my leather. Stuff really cleans the seats up and leaves them feeling really soft every time. Smells good too!

·
Registered
407 Posts
After reading some other leather care threads on here I saw aerospace 303 recommended for the leather and vinyl. This is what I use on my kayak for UV protection and I didn't realize it was good for leather (but after looking up the product apparently it is). I'll have to try it out next time I clean them. It works wonders on my kayak, although I believe it's mostly a protectant, not so much a cleaner.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I've been using Chemical Guys Inner Clean. It doesn't leave any residue or greasy coating. It cleans well and leaves a dry look. Its even safe for the lcd screens and gauge covers as long as you spray on a microfiber cloth and not directly on the screens. It came in one of my mystery buckets and Ive been hooked since.
This is what I use as well. Like he said, this is not a glaze. It's just a cleaner. It smells good as well and is very easy to work with. You don't have to worry about wiping it away to quickly in fear of leaving color spots or anything. +1

·
Registered
530 Posts

Hope that helps,
Mark
Pretty much once a week I get a small puddle of coffee in my cupholder and that's why I came to this thread. I really need a sealing travel mug..

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
For the leather, Meguiar's gold class rich leather cleaner is what I use. I first used ArmorAll Leather Care Gel and didn't like it, while it does give the leather a really nice soft feel, it was hard to apply and if you didn't wipe it on real evenly it left white spots. Meguiars is easier to apply evenly and I don't get discoloration spots!
Meguiar's leather cleaner is what I use on my seats also. Love the new car smell it leaves, and it does a great job.

·
Registered
2013 Oxford White Focus ST3
486 Posts
Lexol is what I use. I used to use others but I have found that this is best. Drafts get cleaned 2x a year. Summer and winter. I use a horse hair boot polisher brush to rub in the cleaner. Leaves no greasy residue. Conditioning is a must after. My drivers seat has 84k on it and looks good

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts