Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as many of you know, there have been a few ST owners (myself included) that have had the seals in the plastic slave cylinder give out, killing the clutch and necessitating the entire transmission to be pulled.

I've asked Spec if they planned on building a more rugged metal unit, and their reply was that they typically retain the stock unit unless it's a conversion system (there just isn't enough interest to justify the development). With issues still coming up a year later, I figured I would just throw out a feeler thread to see how many people would be interested.

Personally, I would swap one at about 100k with an aftermarket clutch, or in the event the slave gave out again. Anyone else?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I would like to do it when I install my flywheel and clutch. It makes sense to do so. I would rather pay an extra $200 to have the peace of mind that it won't be the weakest link and cause a failure. I mentioned this to ST3 4 ME awhile back, so he contacted Spec about it and got basically the same reply.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am like the OP, next time my clutch needs to be replaced. Mine was leaking from the time it was put on at the factory.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I intend to eventually install a LSD, so I would swap for a metal one then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why are manufacturers doing this kind of crap? It's not just Ford. My Mitsubishi Evo X had a plastic slave cylinder. Some vendor came up with a kit which would allow you to install the Evo IX metal cylinder in it's place. It worked great and I believe it was under $200 for the kit. Worth every penny.

Hopefully, there's a similar model that someone can stick in here. Maybe the Focus RS in Europe has a metal one.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Why are manufacturers doing this kind of crap? It's not just Ford. My Mitsubishi Evo X had a plastic slave cylinder. Some vendor came up with a kit which would allow you to install the Evo IX metal cylinder in it's place. It worked great and I believe it was under $200 for the kit. Worth every penny.

Hopefully, there's a similar model that someone can stick in here. Maybe the Focus RS in Europe has a metal one.
Yea, it's pretty irritating. They may save money up front, but you'd think they'd lose it in warranty claims later when/if it fails.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'd buy one. Just for the piece of mind I'd pony up. I spend a lot of time on the open road. It's worth $200 to not have to wait all night for AAA to come tow me back to civilization from the middle of the desert or prairie or mountain I happen to be crossing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did anyone ever find a company making metal slave cylinders? I have a 2016 that gave out im throwing a new upgraded clutch and flywheel in it and would rather not toss a plastic bit in with it.

·
Super Moderator
7,638 Posts
Did anyone ever find a company making metal slave cylinders? I have a 2016 that gave out im throwing a new upgraded clutch and flywheel in it and would rather not toss a plastic bit in with it.
Not that I'm aware of. I've had great luck on the OEM slave, with Spec HD pressure plate clutches too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Use the Focus RS slave, it's metal. I installed it with my ACT clutch kit, works great.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Found this one if anyone is interested in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts