Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so....after looking around it appears all intercoolers except the $1000 vortech make you remove the shutters.

i rather not get kicked out of STH so what part actually forces you to do this? is it the thickness?

just wondering if i should just get the trusty welder out and DIY something.

·
Registered
2017 ST1
1,030 Posts
For me, the shutters had to come out before I could get the intercooler in. It takes up every centimeter of space available. Not even sure if the shutters would go back in with it there. It's larger in every dimension.

There may have been a way to do it with the shutters in place (Ford surely has a process for replacing OEM intercoolers), but I don't see a point in making the job harder, just to work around something that I don't want in place anyway.

What's STH?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
so....after looking around it appears all intercoolers except the $1000 vortech make you remove the shutters.

i rather not get kicked out of STH so what part actually forces you to do this? is it the thickness?

just wondering if i should just get the trusty welder out and DIY something.
Vortech, outside of going custom, it is the only IC that allows you to retain the AGS which is needed to stay legal in STH (SCCA solo classing for those that dont know). My build thread on here pretty much shows what a turn key STH setup is if you have any questions and @gemery on here also has a similar STH build to mine.

Reactions: gemery

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
demz the rulez. BOV's kick you out of the stock classes. all that performance enhancing WOOSH is too much.

so.... what is it about the intercoolers that make you have to remove the shutters? is it the thickness?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You have to keep a useless piece of plastic on to stay in a classification?

Sounds legit.
Yeah it sucks, but despite its size, it gets the job done and probably because it retains the AGS that acts like a shroud, isolating air to go directly to the cooler. Charge temps have definitely dropped compared to stock and even helped me win one of these:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
demz the rulez. BOV's kick you out of the stock classes. all that performance enhancing WOOSH is too much.

so.... what is it about the intercoolers that make you have to remove the shutters? is it the thickness?
BOV's are legal in STH for those that dont know:

To answer your question, for the other intercoolers it's their overall size. 3.5 inch thick and anything greater than 7 inches tall or roughly 26 inches long will not allow you to retain the AGS which is why the Vortech is the only "bolt on and go" wise intercooler legal for STH.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To answer your question, for the other intercoolers it's their overall size. 3.5 inch thick and anything greater than 7 inches tall or roughly 26 inches long will not allow you to retain the AGS which is why the Vortech is the only "bolt on and go" wise intercooler legal for STH.
perfect. time to find a core and brush up on the aluminum welding skills although im sure i can find one close and make it work.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I assisted DMC in installing a Mountune FMIC onto the front of my 2017 ST3, and we removed the AGS (per Mountune's instructions). It may have been able to be retained in some way with some mounting and inner-bumper modification, but I don't think there'd be room for them to function.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
perfect. time to find a core and brush up on the aluminum welding skills although im sure i can find one close and make it work.

thanks!
No worries. If you do find a core that works, post up on here. It would be most excellent to see something other than the Vortech as a viable option.

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST3
355 Posts
Check with go-autoworks.com. Greg is awesome to deal with and may have something that will work for you.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Regarding Sth rules requiring AGS to remain intact...

I’ve never read Auto-X rules until I read this thread.

That said, an FMIC isn’t a charge pipe(s). The AGS is deleted to accommodate a non-stock intercooler, not to reroute the charge pipes used by that intercooler.

The language you posted says nothing about prohibiting deletion of plastic shrouds to accommodate an intercooler; rather, plastic shrouds can not be deleted to re-route charge pipes.

Even though aftermarket charge pipes are allowed, I’d say if you continue to use OEM charge pipes with your aftermarket intercooler, that’s a pretty compelling argument that the charge pipes haven’t been re-routed meaning the plastic shroud could be deleted.

Nobody has made that argument yet?

·
Super Moderator
9,502 Posts
Regarding Sth rules requiring AGS to remain intact...

I’ve never read Auto-X rules until I read this thread.

That said, an FMIC isn’t a charge pipe(s). The AGS is deleted to accommodate a non-stock intercooler, not to reroute the charge pipes used by that intercooler.

The language you posted says nothing about prohibiting deletion of plastic shrouds to accommodate an intercooler; rather, plastic shrouds can not be deleted to re-route charge pipes.

Even though aftermarket charge pipes are allowed, I’d say if you continue to use OEM charge pipes with your aftermarket intercooler, that’s a pretty compelling argument that the charge pipes haven’t been re-routed meaning the plastic shroud could be deleted.

Nobody has made that argument yet?
The blue highlighted part is not actually the intercooler section; look at the section above the highlighted section, C-1.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The blue highlighted part is not actually the intercooler section; look at the section above the highlighted section, C-1.
Yes you are correct the section before that:
1. STU and STH only: As utilized only on engines originally equipped with forced induction, induction charge heat exchangers (also known as “intercoolers” or “charge air coolers” [CACs]) are unrestricted in size and shape. Air-to-air CACs and radiators for air-to-liquid CACs must be cooled only by the atmosphere except for standard parts. Body panels, fascias, or structural members may not be cut or altered to facilitate CAC installation. Removal of vehicle components to facilitate installation is not allowed. Holes may be drilled for mounting.

That means no removal of AGS. Trust me I was part of the group of autoxers that submitted feedback and data to get intercoolers approved for the class. I even tried asking to allow for the AGS removal, but that would constitute a preferential bias which the SCCA SEB wasnt having.

·
Super Moderator
9,502 Posts
Didn't cp-e's "Lightweight" FMIC when installed allow for the AGS and/or shutters to remain?
No, that intercooler is fairly large, just not as large as their not light weight unit.

·
Super Moderator
9,502 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
What part of the country are you in? I'm in Oregon/Washington and @freakin_elrod is in Arizona, so if you need to check out our Vortech installations, we're available.

Also, I've registered for the Lincoln Championship Tours on Memorial Day weekend, so expect to be passing through southern Idaho, northern Utah, Wyoming, & Nebraska.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts