Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend is selling a intercooler and I was thinking of getting it. Here is my question though. It is my daily driver in Wisconsin and I'm not interested in racing it. I will do some spirited driving and have heard the stock IC is not very good. I already have a Accessport and Cobb intake on it. Not looking to go crazy on mods but wanted to make it a little more fun to drive. For my set up is the stock IC ok or will and upgraded IC help the life of the engine?

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
A friend is selling a intercooler and I was thinking of getting it. Here is my question though. It is my daily driver in Wisconsin and I'm not interested in racing it. I will do some spirited driving and have heard the stock IC is not very good. I already have a Accessport and Cobb intake on it. Not looking to go crazy on mods but wanted to make it a little more fun to drive. For my set up is the stock IC ok or will and upgraded IC help the life of the engine?
Just go ahead and watch your IC temps with the AP and then realize that an aftermarket unit will usually only go over about 10 degrees ambient.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Upgraded intercooler will give you much more consistent power and prevent heat soak.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Even if your car was bone stock and on the stock tune I would say the FMIC is the #1 upgrade. Once it hits about 80 degrees outside the ST heat soaks so bad and you lose a lot of power. This will allow you to keep your power, cool the internals better, and set you up down the road if you want a more aggressive tune or other mods.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Run! Don't walk to get that IC! It should be everyone's first upgrade. Followed by an aftermarket RMM.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yup I regret not pulling the trigger on an intercooler first. I just saw 188 temps from my stock unit after a hard run. Guess ill just take it easy until I can get funds for an intercooler saved up!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yup I regret not pulling the trigger on an intercooler first. I just saw 188 temps from my stock unit after a hard run. Guess ill just take it easy until I can get funds for an intercooler suhaved up!
Hit depo up. I installed my 3.5 the other day. We have had 90 degree days since. Even under hard pulls im not seeing over 10 degrees more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts