Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard the 3.5" depo racing intercooler does not have all the parts to install, what is needed?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ive heard the 3.5" depo racing intercooler does not have all the parts to install, what is needed?
2 nuts (M6 x 1.0).

·
Registered
421 Posts
To add to this - I am getting a Level intercooler. What will I need? Heard something about brackets and maybe bolts?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thank you good sir!
Also get a couple of new clamps from Depo - T-Bolt Clamps | Depo Racing

Other things to mention:
Maybe some grease or oil for the o-ring on the MAP sensor. Also you might have to drill or tap out the metal insert on the MAP sensor itself. You'll see what I mean when you get it apart.
White lithium grease for the pipes if you need help getting them on.
Someone here recommended medical forceps (really long narrow needle-nose pliers) for part of the job attaching those small bolts on the bottom.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you good sir!
Also get a couple of new clamps from Depo - T-Bolt Clamps | Depo Racing

Other things to mention:
Maybe some grease or oil for the o-ring on the MAP sensor. Also you might have to drill or tap out the metal insert on the MAP sensor itself. You'll see what I mean when you get it apart.
White lithium grease for the pipes if you need help getting them on.
Someone here recommended medical forceps (really long narrow needle-nose pliers) for part of the job attaching those small bolts on the bottom.
Easy money, i work sheet metal for a living. Thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you rally race and under constant boost then yes, a big intercooler is needed, but if you only run in short burst then no, it is not needed, there are drag cars that dont even use intercoolers, they have airfilters directly connected to the turbo. Like i said before, sometimes smaller is better, they compress faster.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
If you rally race and under constant boost then yes, a big intercooler is needed, but if you only run in short burst then no, it is not needed, there are drag cars that dont even use intercoolers, they have airfilters directly connected to the turbo. Like i said before, sometimes smaller is better, they compress faster.
The detail you left out is those cars are built to run without an intercooler and have charge temps below up to about 150 degrees. Many of them still employ either water injection or nitrous oxide to cool the charge even more, usually below ambient.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Many do, but many dont, there are those that have only an air filter directly to the turbo, some dont even have an airfilter or intercooler, nothing i said was false. But the intercoolers we put on the focus st's are actually pretty big in comparison to what is needed unless you rally race. People were running 30lbs of boost with 350 to 400hp all day long with these smaller intercoolers. I dont want to hear how this "platform" is sooo different and unique to all other combustion motors, they ALL run off the same principles and physics apply.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts