Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for my next upgrade. I have a exhaust already. Looking to do a downpipe or intercooler. Just wondering what everyone thoughts on what I should get.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Intercooler for sure. You really won't gain much power with a downpipe over stock. The stock turbo is more of an obstruction than anything after it. Meanwhile the stock fmic is junk. 50+ charged air temp gains on a first pull, and nothing good from repeated pulls.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Down pipe. Water Injection is cheaper, especially with a Stage 1 W/I ($350) only poor fitting Inter-coolers are less than that.

As I keep mentioning, if you are constantly vdyno'ing then maybe an inter-cooler makes sense. If you are hot lapping at the drag strip, then maybe you might need one; other wise it doesn't need to be upgraded.

Some people are running upgraded turbos with the stock inter-cooler no flow restrictions, maybe at 450+hp but below that? Unlikely.

Why can't people just do the research themselves instead of constantly coming to forums, Facebook and Reddit to get people's opinion on what they should do next?

Do what you feel you need to do to meet your goals, then do it.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Down pipe. Water Injection is cheaper, especially with a Stage 1 W/I ($350) only poor fitting Inter-coolers are less than that.

As I keep mentioning, if you are constantly vdyno'ing then maybe an inter-cooler makes sense. If you are hot lapping at the drag strip, then maybe you might need one; other wise it doesn't need to be upgraded.

Some people are running upgraded turbos with the stock inter-cooler no flow restrictions, maybe at 450+hp but below that? Unlikely.

Why can't people just do the research themselves instead of constantly coming to forums, Facebook and Reddit to get people's opinion on what they should do next?

Do what you feel you need to do to meet your goals, then do it.
Oh, maybe because forums exist for the exact reason you seem to hate them. All of the platforms you mentioned are information exchanges, if you do not want to exchange information get off the internet.

Also, how is someone new supposed to learn if they aren't allowed to ask questions of people with experience in the field they are interested in? Your comment just makes no sense.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Sure it makes sense -

I started reading this forum when the ST was released, only sparingly because it was a new car and not much was happening overall.

I've read some threads over and over again because I want to understand what's being done.

Coming into 4th year of this specific model of the Focus, lots of information has been shared, some of it erroneous such as the need to upgrade the inter-cooler. Which you didn't address but rather how I addressed the OP's question overall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts