Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The provided instructions are an embarrassment. With the budget mountune surely has I would expect instructions that have pictures that are at least somewhat clear and show what bolts should go where instead of letting people guess. Nice piece of hardware but dang.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you need help?
Nope, I got it. I was missing one nylon lock nut in the kit and Ford forgot to install the smaller radiator support bolt on the passenger side, but it's installed now.

You guys really may want to take some better pictures though.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'd be happy to comment your instructions if you want help removing the suck coefficient.

Same experience here: nice hardware, crap documentation.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does look like we are doing some revisions. We are very sorry for any inconvenience that unclear pics or wording may have caused. :)
Good to hear.

I'd be happy to comment your instructions if you want help removing the suck coefficient.

Same experience here: nice hardware, crap documentation.
After pulling stuff apart it started becoming obvious what went where, but the black blobs for reference pictures irked me. I had to look at some other vendor install guides for some assistance. I think the most frustrating part was actually the horn relocation bracket, I still have no idea what mounting point their picture references, I ended up picking a spot and going for it. Seems to work fine.

Me:

image.jpg

·
Registered
382 Posts
I had a similar problem, I even sent @[email protected], detailed pictures and descriptions of the problem.... and received no response.
Your passenger side mounting bracket is missing a lock nut for the smaller diameter bolt. Either ford stopped putting a nut where it was supposed to go or you stopped supplying the nut, either way it isn't there on my 14 ST.
Also i still haven't figured out where in the F*^&%# my horn was supposed to mount so its just sitting in a box. I agree for the price i paid, better instructions and a better response from your "customer service rep" would have been appreciated. I can send you the email @[email protected] if it will help you save the next guy a huge headache like mine.

Great piece BTW, just needs the parts and instructions to go with it, and help getting issues resolved would be nice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah I'm at the same spot, no idea where to mount the horn. if you bring up the instructions online at least theyre in color. still cropped a little to small to get an idea of where that threaded hole is the braket installs in.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
We have recently switched over to color copies that are done professionally versus doing them on an office copy machine. If the images were hard to make out this will help. That and we will be rewording some of the instructions to help make the installation go a bit more smoothly. :)

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have recently switched over to color copies that are done professionally versus doing them on an office copy machine. If the images were hard to make out this will help. That and we will be rewording some of the instructions to help make the installation go a bit more smoothly. :)
I had even pulled up the PDF instructions on my iPad at full brightness. The paper copy was useless, the PDF was a close second.

You may as well have had a sheet of paper that said if you don't know what you're doing or can't figure it out, re-pack and have someone else work on it.

Most of it is pretty self explanatory once you really dig in. No idea what the heck is going on with the horn though. I picked a random hole and screwed the bracket in and called it a day, after I bought another lock nut.

I won't buy anything but mountune products for my car if you guys make them. Quality products.

I will simply call BS where it's needed. I run a large portion of the company I work for. I prefer to know what my team, or myself is doing wrong rather than what we are doing right, that way I can make the necessary changes. Take better photos.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I had a similar problem, I even sent @[email protected], detailed pictures and descriptions of the problem.... and received no response.
Your passenger side mounting bracket is missing a lock nut for the smaller diameter bolt. Either ford stopped putting a nut where it was supposed to go or you stopped supplying the nut, either way it isn't there on my 14 ST.
Also i still haven't figured out where in the F*^&%# my horn was supposed to mount so its just sitting in a box. I agree for the price i paid, better instructions and a better response from your "customer service rep" would have been appreciated. I can send you the email @[email protected] if it will help you save the next guy a huge headache like mine.

Great piece BTW, just needs the parts and instructions to go with it, and help getting issues resolved would be nice.
I had the same problem with the bolt. Ended up getting a nut that fit, and went through the hole where the nut was supposed to be. Was a b***h to tighten up with so little room.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, I had a hell of a time doing this install a few weeks ago. I basically had to use the CJ Pony Parts video they did for the Cobb FMIC install and a lot of guesswork with the actual mounting bracket assembly. I actually ended up leaving that fourth, small bolt off. In hindsight I should have assumed I just needed to get a new nut for it since I could see it fit in that back left hole, just not how to secure it. I was lost on the horn mount until I found the pictures in this thread. It seemed obvious it went in the spot it goes, but I couldn't figure the orientation out and I was seriously frustrated by the whole ordeal at that point.

I agree it's a beautiful piece of hardware and the mounting method is really well thought out. The premium price should carry through to premium support though.

·
Registered
374 Posts
i dunno bout you guys but i have a laptop that i bring out to the garage. FSwerks makes pdf files of there installs. I like that a lot cause you can zoom in on pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I never noticed it before but this picture makes it look like 3 or 4 rows of the intercooler sit behind the crash bar?

Edit - accidental necro
Yup, I don't believe it's 3 or 4 but it does sit behind it. I was surprised myself when I installed it.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Yup, I don't believe it's 3 or 4 but it does sit behind it. I was surprised myself when I installed it.
Seems like a poor design to me, in my mind it would make more sense to have a deeper, less tall, core that was fully exposed to the air pathway rather than one that is too tall and partially obstructed from air flow. This pretty much kills any thought I once had of buying the mountune IC.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Seems like a poor design to me, in my mind it would make more sense to have a deeper, less tall, core that was fully exposed to the air pathway rather than one that is too tall and partially obstructed from air flow. This pretty much kills any thought I once had of buying the mountune IC.
Honestly if I had to do it over, I would probably have chosen a different cooler. It's fit and finish is outstanding though (barring how it sits slightly behind the crash bar) cooling ability is OK but obviously better than factory. I only monitored the OEM for the drive to the shop to replace it, and then monitored the Mountune on the trip back (highway speeds mind you) and was kind of disappointed in the results. It is what it is, and I have it now so no going back LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts