Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So really new to everything about cars. That being said, I want to upgrade my intake to my Ford Focus ST3 2013 but not sure what to get. Not looking for anything fancy, just something that works great for an every day use. I don't race nor plan to.

Simple and sweet post. Any input would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sweet and simple, I think would be Cobb or Roush. CJPony Parts has very good installation videos on YouTube for those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
I second just doing a drop in filter.

You won't really see any gains from doing a full intake kit and you'll spend considerably more than just the filter.

If you do a drop in filter, you can always leave the intake box lid off and it will give you all the nice noises of having a full intake. Your filter will get dirtier quicker, but that depends on how much you drive as well.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Do the rs full intake with airbox and a mountune open end filter

·
Registered
407 Posts
Getting a whole intake will have little to no performance/fuel efficiency benefit on this car as people have stated above.

High flow filter (mountune/green filter/K&N) will give you greatest bang for your buck plus will let you hear more intake sounds and turbo whistle/whoosh.

I have a green filter and for awhile was debating between a whole CAI or just the RS air box lid as well. Well I recently made my decision and decided neither haha, but instead bought a piece of plexiglass and am going to modify the stock air box lid just for something unique (looks not performance). So if you stick around here, within a week I'll probably post a write up of how to modify the stock air box lid for a plexiglass window to see the air filter (I bought a white green filter and use the red oil on it).

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Getting a whole intake will have little to no performance/fuel efficiency benefit on this car as people have stated above.

High flow filter (mountune/green filter/K&N) will give you greatest bang for your buck plus will let you hear more intake sounds and turbo whistle/whoosh.

I have a green filter and for awhile was debating between a whole CAI or just the RS air box lid as well. Well I recently made my decision and decided neither haha, but instead bought a piece of plexiglass and am going to modify the stock air box lid just for something unique (looks not performance). So if you stick around here, within a week I'll probably post a write up of how to modify the stock air box lid for a plexiglass window to see the air filter (I bought a white green filter and use the red oil on it).
Correct, the only other part that can be "improved" on the stock intake is the little accordion piece at the bend. Replace it with an option like this: https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-High-Flow-Induction-Hose-Focus-ST-p/2363-ih-blk.htm

Other than that part that causes turbulence in the air flow, nothing about the stock unit except the filter causes any issues. Drop in filter will give you 85-90% of the gains of a full intake probably..I have no proof to show that, but I'm confident it's the case given how little amount of gains we see from a full intake.

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I'm still deciding between the mountune or the JBR! But that will be next.
This should be an easy one ;) hint: It isn't Mountune I'm picking.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts