Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 485 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got the go ahead today to start developing a replacement intake manifold. I put a list of features that we have in mind to incorporate in the design but would like some ideas and suggestions of what customers are looking for in an intake manifold. Pictures will be posted as the design developes.

-Billet alum
-Stock plenum volume
-Equal length runners/velocity stacks
-Incorporate our runner design
-Retain all factory hose hookups
-Location points for factory engine cover
-Direct bolt in

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
We got the go ahead today to start developing a replacement intake manifold. I put a list of features that we have in mind to incorporate in the design but would like some ideas and suggestions of what customers are looking for in an intake manifold. Pictures will be posted as the design developes.

-Billet alum
-Stock plenum volume
-Equal length runners/velocity stacks
-Incorporate our runner design
-Retain all factory hose hookups
-Location points for factory engine cover
-Direct bolt in
Any turbocharged engine will benefit from a well designed intake manifold. that is a fact. Longer runners for more air(with proper R&D) and a smooth transition from manifold to head are great bedfellows for a turbo engine.

In FTMFW!

any chance you can look into a non-metallic solution? aluminum is great and all for bleeding off heat but having the manifold so close to the radiator will cause it to soak in heat.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Any turbocharged engine will benefit from a well designed intake manifold. that is a fact. Longer runners for more air(with proper R&D) and a smooth transition from manifold to head are great bedfellows for a turbo engine.

In FTMFW!

any chance you can look into a non-metallic solution? aluminum is great and all for bleeding off heat but having the manifold so close to the radiator will cause it to soak in heat.
That would be my biggest concern... the aluminum intake on our EB Flex stays HOT forever! Ok, maybe not forever, but an awfully long time!

·
1,976 Posts
Awesome news, can't wait to see the final product!

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
That would be my biggest concern... the aluminum intake on our EB Flex stays HOT forever! Ok, maybe not forever, but an awfully long time!
The reason plastic intake manifolds are good!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Heat or no heat this would make it look like an actual engine! Isnt the whole engine aluminum anyway but somehow this piece is going to possibly hurt performance??? Hmm

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
Heat or no heat this would make it look like an actual engine! Isnt the whole engine aluminum anyway but somehow this piece is going to possibly hurt performance??? Hmm
yes it is but by then the air is already in the combustion chamber, at which point it doesnt matter. The intake manifold being plastic would aid in keeping air temps down. of course the only way to know if this true is by measuring air temps inside the manifold.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Sounds like an expensive piece that will not produce much if any gains.
Just like CAIs but this should be a very nice piece. Just like a nice shift knob.

I can't wait!

Sent from my HTC One

·
1,976 Posts
I wonder if a coating similar to the ceramic exhaust coatings would help with heat management.

tappin
It def. wouldn't hurt, and would be done if I buy one of these. But as to the heat comments, aluminum dissipates heat faster than plastic. Also think about all the big turbo guys (talking big here, not a 50 trim t3/t4 setup) that run sheet metal intakes. The srt-4 engine had the intake in front of the radiator and beside obvious gains from the new plenum, etc there wasn't any heat issues overall. So lets let them get to work on a design and do some testing and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
The only issue I see with this is that the design he was thinking about was going to be cut out of billet aluminum as opposed to sheet aluminum which I would prefer and would keep the cost and heat down.
Looking forward to seeing a functional cost effective design with a little bit of bling..

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
In for updates. This is awesome.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Another option could be to use a phenolic spacer in between the IM and head. The 10-11 v6 camaro also have aluminum IM and it get pretty n
hot to even touch. With phenolic spacer the temp difference is night and day.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 485 Posts