Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ST fanatics! I just purchased a Roush Intake/Exhaust combo and am currently looking for a good downpipe, charge pipe upgrade, BOV, injector upgrade, short throw shifter and a tune. I've researched mountune, COBB, MBRP and FRPP. Just want feedback as to anyone who has roush products as well as what everyone else is running and what they're satisfied with. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
163 Posts
well for starters you dont need to upgrade your injectors or even touch the fuel system unless you go big turbo. most intakes/exhausts/bov, etc are subjective to each person, so its really your call. watch lots of youtube videos, go to meets and see/hear what other people are running. as far as tuning, id go with a cobb accessport, and then shell out the coin for a dyno tune. unless you do a custom e-tune where you send datalogs and revisions back and fourth, a regular flash tune is not worth it IMO. I had a stratified flash tune and driveability sucked. I'm currently in the process of getting a custom e-tune done by another company. Im sure stratified would be a good choice for an e-tune as well though, I'm not putting them down. Theres lots of other tuning companies around though, just have to do research and figure out what you want and who you think fits your style the best.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
well for starters you dont need to upgrade your injectors or even touch the fuel system unless you go big turbo. most intakes/exhausts/bov, etc are subjective to each person, so its really your call. watch lots of youtube videos, go to meets and see/hear what other people are running. as far as tuning, id go with a cobb accessport, and then shell out the coin for a dyno tune. unless you do a custom e-tune where you send datalogs and revisions back and fourth, a regular flash tune is not worth it IMO. I had a stratified flash tune and driveability sucked. I'm currently in the process of getting a custom e-tune done by another company. Im sure stratified would be a good choice for an e-tune as well though, I'm not putting them down. Theres lots of other tuning companies around though, just have to do research and figure out what you want and who you think fits your style the best.
If you really want a good first performance mod get a bigger intercooler, the factory one is garbage. I would do that before you tune/at the same time.

There are a handful of good downpipes out there. Depends if you want to stay catted or not. Charge pipes are not necessary unless you go big turbo but if you want ones, there are a few affordable options, and you might as well get one with a BOV bunge so you can run a real BOV and a block of plate on the turbo, otherwise you are stuck running a boomba or turbosmart and they are both annoying 'woosh' sounding like semi truck air brakes imo(i have a turbosmart) CP-E makes charge pipes with flange for either tial or hks.

You are one of the very few people I have ever heard say bad things about Straitified OTS tunes. Defintely go with the Cobb Accessport though, regardless of what tuner you decide on.

As far as shifters go, there are very few options and all kinda pricey and a PITA, unless you just get the shift plate that goes on the trans to shorten the actual throws. I want a shorter shift shaft, Steeda and Boomba make a shorter shaft for around $100. Ford Sells a short shifter but its $300.
Multiple companies make short shift linkage plates.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll leave the fuel system alone for now, I do have plans eventually to port the intake manifold, add forged internals and upgrade the turbo, but in due time, maybe in a year or so. I've watched lots of youtube and done research and know the downfall of flash tunes and I'd definitely want to go with custom. I had looked at either COBB or Mountune with mixed reviews on both. Thanks again Bliss!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Chair! I'd like to go Catted so I can leave it on without having to swap out every 2 years for the emissions testing. As I told Bliss, I plan on eventually upgrading the turbo and it's good info about the charge pipes and BOV. I've definitely been looking at an intercooler upgrade as well. IYO does it make a noticeable difference with the stock turbo? I'll look into the shift plate as well and hopefully save a few hundred $$$. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.