Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2017 ST and a 2019 Escape 2.0 T AWD Titanium...with GEICO we have on both a $2,000 deductible for both collision and comprehensive....our premium combined (includes a 7 yr , 100,000 mile mechanical breakdown insurance on both) = a total of $1,072 ....if I change to $100 deductibles...it would total $1,802 per year. So, I save $730 / year by having $2K ded. If I go 3 years without a claim where my deductible applies ....I'm ahead....go 10 years and I'm $7,300 ahead. Cars are always garaged when not in use so hail damage possibility greatly reduced. Even one claim in 10 years & I'm still $5,300 ahead.

Kansas is a no fault state......but remember...no fault does not apply to collision....applies to medical.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, here's something cool....I set up the FordPass account when I bought the Escape May 10th,....I have 44,476 points.....

11,000 points cover an oil change/filter & tire rotation & multi point inspection .
20,000 points cover an oil change/filter & tire rotation & multi point inspection + a cabin air filter & installation.

With FordPass I can start the Escape from my cell phone & select air conditioner / heater settings.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Your thread isn't offensive, it's confusing at best. Because there is no point. What's to take from it? Get your car insured? Get Fordpass? Burn down China?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know so many people that haven't really thought through the deductible vs premium issue & it bugs me that they over pay so much over a lifetime of driving. If you use my real world numbers I cited in my first post....over a 60 year driving lifetime you could save as much as $43,800. I thought the point/issue might be of some value to someone on the forum. What % of our forum members do you suppose are carrying low deductibles instead of high?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I kinda get it when you're young and dumb and most of the accidents you're involved in are your own fault. My wife and I got married when we were 18 & 19 YO....1971....during those 48 years neither of us has ever been involved in an accident that was our fault...the other driver's policy has always paid for the damages to our vehicles.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Maybe you could have explained a bit more in your first post what you were hoping to achieve by sharing your insurance details. It just came off as sort of odd and not presented in a way that made sense. Your later explanation that you were attempting to show the benefit/cost savings that you see from carrying a higher deductible was helpful.

That being said, I am not sure most people are comfortable with having a $2000 deductible. Plenty of us have run into sub $1000 damages and would be a financial burden not having insurance come in to cover earlier than $2000. Or even in a larger accident, covering $2000 of the damages is a bit intimidating.

On my policy, which covers two drivers and three vehicles, my deductibles are at $250 for comprehensive and $500 for collision. If i max those out to $2000 each, I would only save about $22 a month. I see your point but for me its not worth the hassle. If you end up with bad luck and have a few incidents in a short period of time or some hit skips, it would add up and i feel better not being on the line every time.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I think everyone has to calculate if it adds up to have a higher deductible or not. In @rambleon84's case, I wouldn't do it either. I'm at 500 and 1000 € deductible, but insurance stuff is pretty different in Germany, as the deductibles only count towards your own car*. Going to the minimum of 150 and 300 € would bump my quarterly fee up by 117 €.

*For anyone interested: Here it is split between liability, partial cover and full cover.
The deductible only applies to the partial and full cover. Liability must not have any sort of deductible.
Which means:
- I hit a wall and my bumper comes of = Full cover - I have to pay 1k myself.
- My windscreens gets smashed = partial cover - I have to pay 500 myself
- I run over someone and my car remains unscathed = liability - I won't pay anything myself.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tornado/s close by last night.....found pieces of other people's houses in our yard this morning.....

·
Super Moderator
6,548 Posts
Tornado/s close by last night.....found pieces of other people's houses in our yard this morning.....
Fortunate down here in Wichita, the predicted storms never materialized last night, thank God. I have had 17+ inches in my rain gauge this month, but no tornadoes or flooding, just high wind and more water than we know what to do with.

·
Super Moderator
8,068 Posts
Fortunate down here in Wichita, the predicted storms never materialized last night, thank God. I have had 17+ inches in my rain gauge this month, but no tornadoes or flooding, just high wind and more water than we know what to do with.
Yeah, pretty crazy storm cell narrowly missed us by 2 miles. In that cell was 60mph gusts, some brief 40+mph sustained winds, 1.5" diameter sized hail, and a small tornado that touched down shortly after it passed us that hit Morgantown, PA quite hard it seems.

·
Registered
114 Posts
OP highjacked his own thread! Seriously, I do hope everyone is safe, though.

Back to insurance, I posted a while back that I discovered I can go from $500 deductible to $0 for $10 / mth. It gives me peace of mind to take advantage of this option, where others may not bother.

We have "No Fault" insurance in Ontario, I can't really understand what that involves because the Insurance companies certainly do place blame.

Recently, a pickup truck changed lanes, suddenly, 10 feet in front of me (in my previous FiST) as I travelled down a left turn lane. $3500!!! damage (I don't think so) plus miscellaneous suspension damage (shoved my left wheels into the curb and popped the car up on an island). Caught it all on my dashcam. Truck took off; I chased him, up to 85 mph in town, blowing through red lights (which I went through cautiously) and he lost me on a ramp off the parkway.

Police reviewed the video; 100% other driver's fault. While the video was pretty clear, you couldn't see a license plate on the truck (may have had a dark cover over it, may not have been one). Insurance didn't even want to see the video; it should have been no deductible on my part, but since they couldn't go back on the other driver, I was forced to pay the $500 deductible. It didn't matter if I saved them money in the repairs (such as by buying aftermarket wheels instead of factory) or if I waived the rental car I was entitled to, I still had to pay the $500.

For $10 a month I can skip all the hassle in the future.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Slightly on/off topic. I found out that a lot of insurance companies offer extended mechanical breakdown warranties for a fraction of the cost of the Ford extended warranty. And note, its MECHANICAL BREAK DOWN, meaning, if you break down, for any reason, its covered, where as Ford is only factory defect based, also, you can only take it to Ford, where as with the insurance coverage, you take it to ANY Certified mechanic in the United States! Talk about mod friendly! I have mine through Mercury and I havent had to use it yet. But I asked them about this and they know im modded, and said it wasnt a problem what so ever!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Slightly on/off topic. I found out that a lot of insurance companies offer extended mechanical breakdown warranties for a fraction of the cost of the Ford extended warranty. And note, its MECHANICAL BREAK DOWN, meaning, if you break down, for any reason, its covered, where as Ford is only factory defect based, also, you can only take it to Ford, where as with the insurance coverage, you take it to ANY Certified mechanic in the United States! Talk about mod friendly! I have mine through Mercury and I havent had to use it yet. But I asked them about this and they know im modded, and said it wasnt a problem what so ever!
I would ask to be sent a copy of the restrictions and regulations to their mechanical breakdown insurance, as these are basically just the same as alot of 3rd party warranty vendors or the home life warranty for house repairs and your home appliances, but I could see them being more friendly then some of the 3rd party warranty vendors alot of times those things are jokes. Id be curious to read what they warranty and what their limits are on what they considerable warrantyable and how much they say they'll cover and up too.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yeah, pretty crazy storm cell narrowly missed us by 2 miles. In that cell was 60mph gusts, some brief 40+mph sustained winds, 1.5" diameter sized hail, and a small tornado that touched down shortly after it passed us that hit Morgantown, PA quite hard it seems.
So happy that missed the Lehigh valley, but today we're getting rocked.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OP highjacked his own thread! Seriously, I do hope everyone is safe, though.

Back to insurance, I posted a while back that I discovered I can go from $500 deductible to $0 for $10 / mth. It gives me peace of mind to take advantage of this option, where others may not bother.

We have "No Fault" insurance in Ontario, I can't really understand what that involves because the Insurance companies certainly do place blame.

Recently, a pickup truck changed lanes, suddenly, 10 feet in front of me (in my previous FiST) as I travelled down a left turn lane. $3500!!! damage (I don't think so) plus miscellaneous suspension damage (shoved my left wheels into the curb and popped the car up on an island). Caught it all on my dashcam. Truck took off; I chased him, up to 85 mph in town, blowing through red lights (which I went through cautiously) and he lost me on a ramp off the parkway.

Police reviewed the video; 100% other driver's fault. While the video was pretty clear, you couldn't see a license plate on the truck (may have had a dark cover over it, may not have been one). Insurance didn't even want to see the video; it should have been no deductible on my part, but since they couldn't go back on the other driver, I was forced to pay the $500 deductible. It didn't matter if I saved them money in the repairs (such as by buying aftermarket wheels instead of factory) or if I waived the rental car I was entitled to, I still had to pay the $500.

For $10 a month I can skip all the hassle in the future.
ZERO DEDUCTIBLE......What does that cost for a Focus ST / year?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I figured it up on GEICO's website.....if we switched to their lowest deductibles for C & C it would cost me $1,646 MORE / year (for both vehicles combined) ........what a ripoff!

That's about a $100,000 (yankee dollars) more over the course of a 60 year driving career. That's about $135,000 Canadian dollars.

·
Registered
181 Posts
We have a 2017 ST and a 2019 Escape 2.0 T AWD Titanium...with GEICO we have on both a $2,000 deductible for both collision and comprehensive....our premium combined (includes a 7 yr , 100,000 mile mechanical breakdown insurance on both) = a total of $1,072 ....if I change to $100 deductibles...it would total $1,802 per year. So, I save $730 / year by having $2K ded. If I go 3 years without a claim where my deductible applies ....I'm ahead....go 10 years and I'm $7,300 ahead. Cars are always garaged when not in use so hail damage possibility greatly reduced. Even one claim in 10 years & I'm still $5,300 ahead.

Kansas is a no fault state......but remember...no fault does not apply to collision....applies to medical.
So if I am reading correctly, you pay $1,072 for both cars including the breakdown coverage on both vehicles per year. Or is this ever 6 months? If that is per year as in 12 months of coverage that breaks down to STUPID CHEAP....even taking into account the $2K deductible, it's still STUPID CHEAP!!!

I was kind of surprised that my new 2019 FX4 Crew cab 5.0 is the same as what I was paying on my 2018 ST.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
About this Discussion
46 Replies
12 Participants
Chris L.
Ford Focus ST Forum
We’re the premiere Ford Focus ST forum with discussions on the 2013+ Focus ST. Join the community and see the latest news, photos, videos, classifieds, reviews, events and more!
Full Forum Listing