Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Well, before I got into modding I read up about warranties. I forgot to read about insurance companies.

I've read that not reporting mods to your insurance company could result in a claim being denied should they find out. I always assumed they would still cover your vehicle, just not anything you added.

I have Geico and I haven't really read that they're all too friendly with mods (seems like they will likely not cover the car at all). I guess I'll call in over the weekend and inquire about new insurance on a vehicle with mods. If worst comes to worst, I'll end up searching for another insurance company.

What insurance do folks with mods use?

Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
When I first purchased my ST (used) it came lowered, I called my insurance and they said they wouldn’t cover a lowered vehicle past a certain amount. I lied and said “less than an inch” and they said that they could cover it. but to my knowledge they will replace your modded parts with the stock versions, it may not be the same for every situation or claim. this probably didn’t help much but..

·
Registered
64 Posts
I work claims for a top 5 insurance company.....Every company is different. Some won't cover anything other than factory, some will cover up to a limit (1k is included with some companies at no charge). With most of them you can purchase additional coverage for the custom items, but you will need receipts for EVERYTHING. I have never heard of a claim being denied for the vehicle being modified, but the modified parts would just be replaced with factory style parts. Your claim will be 100% denied with every company if you wreck your car at any kind of track event.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response guys, any little bit of information helps.

So, since I'd be switching to a different insurance if they didn't cover me just because I had mods (do not want mods covered), I called my local GEICO agency and gave them my info and inquired about it.

The agent over the phone stated that any modifications added to the car must be reported to them. They want to have note of it in case someone needs to come out to evaluate the car or something gets stolen, that they know its on there.

They then stated that they cover mods up to a certain amount at a higher premium. I then asked if I do not want to cover them, if thats okay. She stated that yes, that is fine but they still have to have it noted on the policy. So I gave her all my mods and an estimate of their total cost.

Now that I'm off the phone, I didn't state everything, but I did state most of the expensive ones. She stated that if I ever add any more modifications or do anything to make my vehicle more expensive, let them know.

Well, I just have to wait and see if:
a) Next couple of weeks or months, I get a paper telling me that I need to get my car evaluated or that they have to drop me from their insurance or,
b) Next time my policy is up for renewal, I get dropped or my insurance goes up

If all does turn out okay, I might inquire about insuring my mods depending on how expensive it is. Otherwise, I hear esurance seems to be okay with mods (not sure about their rates though).

Thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish :). When I went to get insurance for my Focus ST, it was already labeled as a sports car plus too many accidents with this type of car apparently.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey guys,

Well, before I got into modding I read up about warranties. I forgot to read about insurance companies.

I've read that not reporting mods to your insurance company could result in a claim being denied should they find out. I always assumed they would still cover your vehicle, just not anything you added.

I have Geico and I haven't really read that they're all too friendly with mods (seems like they will likely not cover the car at all). I guess I'll call in over the weekend and inquire about new insurance on a vehicle with mods. If worst comes to worst, I'll end up searching for another insurance company.

What insurance do folks with mods use?

Thanks
It's my understanding that you need to have the car inspected and appraised just in case

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
An aside, but it shows the point. To help out my in-laws, I installed an aftermarket backup camera. Well, one day they got rear ended so hard that one of my father-in-law's hearing aids popped out. The back up camera doesn't work now and they won't fix it because it didn't come with the truck.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
With progressive, I choose to pay a little extra to cover aftermarket equipment, got 3k worth of coverage to make sure the stereo and things like the big FMIC hanging off of the front is covered.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
With progressive, I choose to pay a little extra to cover aftermarket equipment, got 3k worth of coverage to make sure the stereo and things like the big FMIC hanging off of the front is covered.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Good to know..I may switch from geico

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts